When will we Muppet fans say somthing?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of thinking and even some rescearch over the past few months about Disney and the muppets being with them. I think we as muppet fans should be a little upset with the whole thing. I at frist stood up for the henson's and disney for the "deal" they made but now the whole thing is making me sick. We have had to deal with lies false press releases and even fireing of there main guy,and most if not all the big plans they had for the muppets are all but forgoten for one reason or another. I think the Hensons are now wishing they had went with HIT i mean look what wonderfull jobs they did with FR and Emite otter.

Yet we havent heard from them about any of this i bet they are wishing they had not have done this now. I mean even Kirmits big 50 years has been cut down to a nothing. and the relesseas of the movies was just sad i mean come on they where for krimits b day and not a thing was about it.

There is only two things that are somewhat of an ok from Disney. the movies.com thing and muppets.com, but they need help and fast. I know that im not the only one who feels like this im sure that if henson listened about Farscape im sure they will hear us about this if we are many and have a voice.
I really thought the muppets would do good with Disney but its been what about a year and what do we really have to show for it...... NOTHING
so i ask who is willing to stand up for our muppets we cant let them die in the tight arms of Disney. the Hensons need to bring them home and for good this time. who is with me. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Actually, HIT entertainment has planned to cease production of the season sets of Fraggle Rock and I was one of a few who recently began calling and e-mailing and sending snail mail to them to continue. I also was among several who went at Sababa to get Mokey Fraggle made as a plush because they were going to stop after Gobo, Red, Wembley, and Boober!

The re-releases Disney has done on DVD with the movies in both wide screen and full screen versions, plus the extras, is a cool thing, and I'm proud they FINALLY listened to us. I am disappointed with their having cancelled Kermit's 50 city tour stating that they "didn't think anyone would notice." OUCH! They forget about us Muppet Fans there. Still, they are doing lots of great things with merchandising and promotions (Kermit's Target Commercials were a hit--it's Kermit, of COURSE it would be a hit!), and I expect bigger things to happen soon.

Disney has been working behind the scenes on some things, I feel certain, that we aren't even aware of (yet). We have great merchandise now, and Statler and Waldorf on Movies.com, we got Muppets Wizard of Oz (which is better on the DVD), and a CD from that, TONS of television show engagements since Disney's had them...

Disney is still under an agreement with the JHC to make and produce programming and productions for The Muppets for a few years (I think the total years was 7 after the purchase date), so the folks at Disney might be waiting on the JHC to participate, or maybe they are working on some things now.

I am happy that JHC is working on a Fraggle Rock movie, I just hope that any existing writers and musicians from the series is available to work on the movie, too.

It's going to be slow in coming, but I bet we'll be pleased in the long-run. Don't give up hope yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If The Jim Henson Company still owned the muppets, then I wonder if the muppets would have had a much better 50th anniversary than they did. While many of the muppets announced plans have been cancled, I really hope that Disney doens't cancle plans for seasons 2-5 to be released on DVD.

If Henson didn't sell the muppets, then Kermit would have been in the Emmit Otter's Jug-Band Christmas DVD release.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So what I'm getting from all of your posts is that Disney isn't realizing the full potemtial of the Muppets because they're uncertain of their popularity and marketability. If the Muppets were to come out with a really good strong show (is that rreality show still gonna' air, or what?) or even a really good video game, perhaps with a free-roaming/non-linear platform, we could see the foundations of a more confident Disney with the Muppets. It seems that (as far as things like the Disney Channel has to offer) Disney's current target audience is the tween age group, using characters like Raven and the Cheetah Girls to push sales at the Disney Store.

I think what'll get Disney more bang for the buck with the Muppets is not to reinvent them, but their approach on working with them. What they need is a genius business man to prove the Muppets worth to them.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Ha! Yeah; and I'll drive my Porshe there and pick up the pope on the way!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I understand that since Eisner stepped down, the new guy just doesn't give a frog about it. I kinda wish he really didn't want to have them enough he could sell them back to JHC. I still wish the SW/Classic Media deal went through. Say what you will about Classic Media, but we've seen Underdog on DVD, Full seasons of Rocky and Bullwinkle (even though they are compilations off of a syndicated relaunch of the series from 1997), and I feel someone got them to release Godzilla in it's original Japanese.

The problem is that every time Disney seemed to be doing something for the fans, they pulled it away like Lucy with that Football. I did like TMS S1, dispite the edits, and I loved seeing a rerelease of the Muppet films (though they could have dug a little deeper and gave us more extras). But I have seen no Muppet Merchandise at the Disney store (except for a few Bear plushes and a figure set), and just a few lousy Tony Danza talk show appearances.

Unless they do something remotely good for the fans, I don't think we'll see too much of Kermit and the rest for a while. I just hope they can continue the Movies.com reviews, though.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
I know that the Disney Online Store has Muppet Merchandise but I really thought that would be just the beginning.....who knows