When will we Muppet fans say somthing?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
You know, if I hadn't grown up in the 80s (when they were probably among their height of popularity), or my dad hadn't been such a huge Muppets enthusiast, I don't know if I would've really heard of them aside from the recent DVD releases, few public moves, Sesame Street and their section of Disney World :frown: That's really sad, because Mr. Henson and his crafted creations really deserve better.

Frogster

Reaction score
Yes, I can see that Disney owning the Muppets has something to do with them being in the spotlight (or the lack thereof) but some of this fault lies with the Muppeteers and the writers... they're turning what we love into a more juvinille setting than they were before (Kermit's Swamp Years, Muppets Wizard of Oz, the list goes on). I hear friends tell me "Luke, it's cool u like them and all, but u have to be realistic and see how the general public views them; they're for kids." Now the same person I'm quoting sat down with me and watched a couple of episodes from The Muppet Show and agreed that they weren't always like they are now. And while there were some segments even then that are kinda like what they are now, that wasn't the overall view then. The Muppets were loved not because of the merchandising, but because of the human characteristics they displayed. I think I've said my peace.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Frogster said:
Yes, I can see that Disney owning the Muppets has something to do with them being in the spotlight (or the lack thereof) but some of this fault lies with the Muppeteers and the writers... they're turning what we love into a more juvinille setting than they were before (Kermit's Swamp Years, Muppets Wizard of Oz, the list goes on). I hear friends tell me "Luke, it's cool u like them and all, but u have to be realistic and see how the general public views them; they're for kids." Now the same person I'm quoting sat down with me and watched a couple of episodes from The Muppet Show and agreed that they weren't always like they are now. And while there were some segments even then that are kinda like what they are now, that wasn't the overall view then. The Muppets were loved not because of the merchandising, but because of the human characteristics they displayed. I think I've said my peace.
Oh, I highly agree! They've certainly lost or are losing their original spice.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Keep in mind that in recent years we've seen more from the Muppets than we did in the 90's.

dpurves

Reaction score
bazooka_beak said:
Oh, I highly agree! They've certainly lost or are losing their original spice.
I've seen this in other threads, and I definitely think that the Muppets of today are very different from the Muppets of twenty or thirty years ago. Honestly, I don't know if anything can be done about that. Too much has changed, and too many of the people behind the Muppets have either died or moved on, so that my wishing for the Muppets to recapture what they once had may be an impossible dream.

That being said, I still say that Disney could have a gold mine on their hands with the Muppets if they only knew what to do with them. I just think that the powers that be are convinced that Kermit & Co. are a bunch of kids' characters who should be doing what kids' characters do, and just don't realize that what made them special was that they could appeal to all ages. I always equate the Muppets to those old Looney Tunes shorts, which on the surface may have seemed to just be cartoons for kids, but definitely had the different layers of meaning that would appeal to a much larger audience.

I certainly am happy that they released TMM and GMC on DVD, and would hope that they would do so with other Muppet films. GMC especially I hadn't seen in quite some time, and really enjoyed seeing it again. But I couldn't help but think that they could have done more. Aren't there any cut or alternate scenes anywhere that could be added as extras?

If Disney isn't going to use the Muppets to their fullest potential, then they should sell them to someone who would.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Well, we talk a lot, but maybe we could do something. Maybe we could spur the muppeteers into talking with the executives at Disney or how about we start a campaign of some sort? Of course, it would need more work than one of those online petitions that gets abandoned after awhile, but look what we did with the Fraggle Rock first season box set.

What could we do?:confused:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
we could do somthing i think but i dont know what. I really belevie that the man we need for the muppets is Mr. Brian Henson. Say what you will he has done some wonderfull things with the muppets. Now you could say that it was with the help of Disney, but no i really dont think so. When wachting MMC and MTI it almost felt like it was still Jim in the Directors chiar. he knows the muppets and i think he really still keep the flame going for his dad in all the things he did with the muppets. I know he is a lot like his father from what i have seen and heard of him, and i think if he really wantted to could still do great things with the muppets, and not under disney. if he was given full control of the muppets i feel he would listen to fans and have some young fresh iedeas for the muppets that would not trap them as "for kids only".
I want to do somthing i really do if someone with a little no how and passion about the muppets wants to join me please e mail me and lets get busy. because i truly feel the life of the muppets is clearly in DANGER

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Nobody would notice? Now why would they think that?
I don't know. So far, that's about the only disappointment I've had with Disney was their spokesperson saying that. I noticed they cancelled it, and was looking forward to that all happening. I thought it would make a great TV special or a DVD purchase.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well kev i think you should excpect more like that from disney, now that they have someone in charge who does not have a passion for the muppets doing well as they did before. I really thought disney was going to do a great job with the muppets but a little time love and money in to them but now that is just a dream. I think we all where fooled even the hensons with all the good things that disney promased us. I even think that the hensons maybe scared to say they where wrong to sell to disney. I truly beleve that they did sell with the muppets best interest in mind and thought they would get the "star" treatment they fianaly diserved if Disney had full control. Now though with all the changes at Disney a lot of people at disney dont think it is worth the time and most of all the money to have a big push to "relaunch" the muppets.
anything they are really going to do is put the prefromers in a box, not even use the core muppeters have crappy dvds with little or no bounes features and a few short t.v apperences. The muppets need more there is a big fan base that needs more, and most of all the whole world need more. I hope i dont seem mad but im just really concernd that disney will just box up the muppets and but them in away never to be seen agine.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
dwayne1115 said:
anything they are really going to do is put the prefromers in a box, not even use the core muppeters have crappy dvds with little or no bounes features and a few short t.v apperences.
So does anyone else think that Disney will use The Muppets like the cheapquels just to make an extra buck, but not using the enterprise to its full potential?