Flippersteps in the Sand

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I have a shorter-than-most chapter. But the last one was slightly longer-than-most, so... deal with it. OH- and you'll need teddy bears for the last part. In fact, there's one line where you'll need these oxygen tanks and masks I've got set out here... Let's see if I can post this thing.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Thirty-Six

Mark Knight tilted his head back, effectively tossing his midnight-black hair out of his eyes, and scanned the dance floor for a thousandth time. His crisp suit was similar to the employee uniform, but he wore a necktie while they wore bow ties. It was appropriate that he have this slight distinction. He was, after all, the proud owner of Midnight’s Moon.

A woman in a pale blue dress floated over to him with a smile on her face and a laugh in her heart. “Darling, isn’t it wonderful?” she said as she drew near. “Isn’t it exactly how you imagined it?”

He linked his arm with hers. “How we imagined it, love,” he said with his contagiously broad smile. “And I think it’s even better. Have you seen this dance floor? I had no idea there were such fantastic dancers in this town.” He guided her around the edge of the dance floor. “Look at that couple, for instance.”

“Which?”

“The frog and the pig. Look at them! They have total control of the dance floor. They deserve it, too. That’s the kind of dancing I love to see.”

“That’s the way we dance.”

“Maybe that’s why I like it. They should get a prize for that kind of dancing.”

“Well why don’t you give them something, then?”

“But I don’t have anything to give.”

“Oh, silly, that’s why we serve food! Neither of them have had a bite to eat yet. Let them have a free dinner.”

“Darling you’re a genius. Whose idea was it to serve food?”

“Mine.”

“Well then, you’re a double genius. That’s exactly what we’ll do. But first we’ll see how they handle competition.”

“Competition?”

“Thomas!” Mark addressed the bandleader. “Play Bossa Nova Baby for us next, and tell the band they sound terrific.”

If a dancer’s skill could be measured, a bored mathematician could probably write an equation for how much room on the dance floor each dancer is allowed. The more skill a dancer or a dance couple displays, the more dancing room they are given. When two people such as Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy dance together, their magic circle of dance space can range from half the dance floor to all of it.

Mark Knight was more than vaguely familiar with the concept. He led his partner out onto the dance floor and stopped just at the edge of the frog and pig’s magic circle. He twirled his partner once, and their own magic circle quickly began to grow- immediately overlapping with that of the frog and pig.

Miss Piggy noticed and glared at the second couple, which was quickly gaining the crowd’s fickle attention. She looked at Kermit to show him, but he was all ready watching them. He met her eyes and smiled a devious smile. She smiled back with a mischievous spark in her eye.

Twirl, twist, spin, turn, kick, dip- each couple was determined to upstage the other, and the song goaded them on. “She said hey Bossa Nova Baby keep on working ‘cause this ain’t no time to sweat! She said go Bossa Nova Baby keep on dancing I’m about to have myself a fit!”

The two couples were dangerously close now, despite having the entire dance floor at their disposal. Mark spun his partner out so that she almost bumped straight into Kermit and Miss Piggy. She was much too graceful to actually do so, of course, and she laughed. In response, Kermit led Miss Piggy in a circle around them.

At some point Mark caught Kermit’s eyes with a look that asked, why not?

Then the opposing couples danced side by side, mimicking each other almost perfectly.

When the song crashed to an end, the entire room burst into applause, though no one was sure if they were clapping for the band or the dancers. The couples took a few modest bows.

Mark reached out and shook Kermit’s hand with a broad grin. “Pleasure meeting you, what’s your name?” he said.

“Kermit the Frog,” Kermit said.

“Kermit, and?” Mark turned to the pig.

“Miss Piggy,” she said.

“Miss Piggy.” He kissed her hand. “My name is Mark Knight,” he gestured to his partner, “And this is my wife Caroline.”

“Evening,” she said with a small curtsy.

“We just so happen to be the owners here, and we’d like to offer you both a free dinner. Any item on the menu, you can have.”

Their jaws dropped and they looked at each other. “Wow, uh- thank you!” Kermit sputtered.

“You’re very welcome, you’re both fantastic dancers,” Mark enthused. “Jeffery! Get these two table thirty-six and make it snappy.”

A passing waiter, apparently named Jeffery, grinned and snapped his fingers a few times. Then he gave a curt bow to Kermit and to Miss Piggy. “Sir, Madam, this way if you please.”

They followed him happily. It was sure to be a terrific night.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

They walked down the dark street with their arms linked, letting their laughter fade into the protective silence of the night. She nuzzled her head against his shoulder. He gulped and slid his arm around her waist. This was going much too well.

They slowly mounted the steps to her apartment building, reluctant to break the silence. They reached the door and she turned to face him.

He was overcome with a sickeningly dizzying feeling of deja vue.

She wrapped her hands around his elbows and held him close. “It was a wonderful evening, Kermie,” she whispered sweetly.

I’ve been here before, he thought, I’ve done this all ready. “Uh- um- yeah.”

She leaned closer. “Shouldn’t it have a- a wonderful ending?”

“Well uh-“

She pulled him close and kissed him sweetly, overwhelming him with her perfect scent.

He staggered backwards.

She squeezed his hands and unlocked the door to slip inside. “Good night, Kermie,” she said sweetly.

“Night,” he said, and she closed the door. Kermit half-fell, half-stumbled backwards down the steps, his eyes still locked on the door, his head spinning. "Boy," he mumbled as he steadied himself. "I've had that feeling before." He turned and slowly walked away.

He did not go to his apartment, however. Instead, his flippers led him down Cole Street.

He creaked the gate open, walked over to the tree, and gazed at the larger tombstone. “I’ve had that feeling before,” he whispered. “I had that feeling with you.”

He was quiet for a long moment. Then he came closer and let his hand rest on the tombstone.

“I love you, Melinda,” he said softly. “I won’t fall in love with her.” He tightened his grip on the stone. “I promise.”

He stood there for a long moment, letting the night encircle him. He lifted his hand, kissed it, and touched it to the tombstone. Then he sadly turned, crossed the grass, and let the gate swing shut behind him. He walked to his apartment, where he went straight to bed for a dreamless sleep.

Leyla

Reaction score
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Lisa, you heartbreaker!!!!!!
Gah!! Oh, oh oh oh oh!!!!

Kermit recognizing his feelings as they same as he had for Melinda!!! Oh, and him promising her he won't fall in love... oy... my beloved mentor... where's that oxygen before I pass out...ohhhhh!!!!

Detailed review tommorow... I'm gonna need to sleep on this before I can think straight... gah!

HUGS!
Leyla

theprawncracker

Reaction score
... *has oxygen mask* ... *has pit helmet* ... *has teddy* ...

Owner of Lendin' Lisa's Oxygen Tank Emporium! said:
He was, after all, the proud owner of Midnight’s Moon.
Ooh, did not see that one coming! But sure glad it did!

Chef's Roomie said:
“Darling, isn’t it wonderful?” she said as she drew near. “Isn’t it exactly how you imagined it?”
Ah! Ya ya ya! Moochoo ooshy gooshy!

Winner of the Most Hugged Award said:
“Which?”

“The frog and the pig. Look at them! They have total control of the dance floor. They deserve it, too. That’s the kind of dancing I love to see.”

“That’s the way we dance.”
That was just...WOW! And...OY (yes, I know it's your word, Gonzo told me) and WOOOT!! I LOVE IT! I HUG IT! I HUG YOU!! (((((HUGS)))))

Mrs. Whitmire said:
“Oh, silly, that’s why we serve food! Neither of them have had a bite to eat yet. Let them have a free dinner.”

“Mine.”

“Well then, you’re a double genius. That’s exactly what we’ll do. But first we’ll see how they handle competition.”
Now, see when I read the name "Mark Knight," I picture dark and creepy bad guy, but this guy is NOT dark and creepy! He's sweet and loving and dare I say it? Ushy gushy!!

Bored in Math Class said:
If a dancer’s skill could be measured, a bored mathematician could probably write an equation for how much room on the dance floor each dancer is allowed. The more skill a dancer or a dance couple displays, the more dancing room they are given. When two people such as Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy dance together, their magic circle of dance space can range from half the dance floor to all of it.
*points* OOH! OOOOOOOOOH!!!!!! THAT FINAL LINE!! THE MAGIC CIRCLE!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

Toga Party!! said:
Miss Piggy noticed and glared at the second couple, which was quickly gaining the crowd’s fickle attention. She looked at Kermit to show him, but he was all ready watching them. He met her eyes and smiled a devious smile. She smiled back with a mischievous spark in her eye.
You know, if I had a nickel for everytime that you made me love Miss Piggy, I'd be able to retire to Florida and overthrow Bob Iger and bring the Muppets back to the spotlight. But sadly, I don't have that many nickels.

Bossa Nova Baby said:
She said hey Bossa Nova Baby keep on working ‘cause this ain’t no time to sweat! She said go Bossa Nova Baby keep on dancing I’m about to have myself a fit!”
Now, I've never heard this song, but just the upbeat-ed-ness of the entire dancing scene, and the frog and his pig and the Knight and his wife-I COULD HEAR IT!! I love it!!

Half of Prawnie said:
When the song crashed to an end, the entire room burst into applause, though no one was sure if they were clapping for the band or the dancers. The couples took a few modest bows.
...Song crashing to an end...YUP definitely a Muppet story!! :zany:

Co-Author of "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary" said:
“Miss Piggy,” she said.

“Miss Piggy.” He kissed her hand. “My name is Mark Knight,” he gestured to his partner, “And this is my wife Caroline.”

“Evening,” she said with a small curtsy.
First off, I LOVE the name Caroline! Second, Piggy curtsying to her and saying "Evening." Perfect, simply golden and perfect.

Executive Producer of "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The Movie!" said:
“You’re very welcome, you’re both fantastic dancers,” Mark enthused. “Jeffery! Get these two table thirty-six and make it snappy.”
One, Jeffery as the name of a waiter. Two, Table thirty-six. Three, LOVE IT!

Coreographer for "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The Broad-Way!" said:
Well, you would think that if you hadn't read the rest of the chapter...*puts on oxygen mask while cuddling teddy and securing pit helmet*

Janitor for "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The Thrill Ride!" said:
They walked down the dark street with their arms linked, letting their laughter fade into the protective silence of the night. She nuzzled her head against his shoulder. He gulped and slid his arm around her waist. This was going much too well.
MUCH TOO WELL!!! WHOA!! But see, if Kermie didn't want it to go so well, he shouldn't have slipped that teency arm around her not-so-teency waist...Oh dear, here she comes...*holds onto pit helmet*

Voice Over Artist in "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The T.V. Show!" said:
She wrapped her hands around his elbows and held him close. “It was a wonderful evening, Kermie,” she whispered sweetly.

OH IT SHOULD!!! IT SHOULD HAVE A WONDERFUL ENDING!! BUT IT WOOOOON'T!!! PIGGY STAY BACK!! DON'T PUT THE FROG THROUGH THIS!!

Background Puppeteer for "The Muppets Take The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary!" said:
She pulled him close and kissed him sweetly, overwhelming him with her perfect scent.

He staggered backwards.

She squeezed his hands and unlocked the door to slip inside. “Good night, Kermie,” she said sweetly.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's so lovely, but at the same time SO awful, cause I knwo what comes next...

Editor of "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The Coloring Book!" said:
“Night,” he said, and she closed the door. Kermit half-fell, half-stumbled backwards down the steps, his eyes still locked on the door, his head spinning. "Boy," he mumbled as he steadied himself. "I've had that feeling before." He turned and slowly walked away.
OH KERMIT!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH KERMIT!!!!!!!!!! KERMIE!!!!!!!!!!

Reciever of Special Thanks in "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The Action Figure Line!" said:
He creaked the gate open, walked over to the tree, and gazed at the larger tombstone. “I’ve had that feeling before,” he whispered. “I had that feeling with you.”
OH KERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMIT!!!!!!!!!! LISA YOU ARE KILLING ME!!! *breathes into oxygen mask*

Spell Checker for "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: The Video Game!" said:
“I love you, Melinda,” he said softly. “I won’t fall in love with her.” He tightened his grip on the stone. “I promise.”
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! :cry: YOU ARE TOTALLY KILLING ME LISA!!! I CAN'T BEAR TO SEE KERMIT SUFFER LIKE THIS!!! (No worries Fozzie, I still love you.)

Co-Artist for "The Prawnie/Toga Dictionary: Postage Stamps!" said:
He stood there for a long moment, letting the night encircle him. He lifted his hand, kissed it, and touched it to the tombstone. Then he sadly turned, crossed the grass, and let the gate swing shut behind him. He walked to his apartment, where he went straight to bed for a dreamless sleep.
*having fit* NO KERMIT NO!!!!!!!! YOU MUST DREAM KERMIT!!! THAT'S WHAT GOT YOU THIS FAR ISN'T IT?!?!

That tombstone...Oh Lisa, that dang tombstone!! It's going to be the death of me!!! AUGH!!

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but MORE PUH-LEASE!!!

(And fantasticabulously(TM), squeezy, ushy-gushy (((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))) to you!!!)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Lisa!

Lisa!

L...is a frog and a pig dancing beside the owners meant to make me feel all melty like a choclate-fountain-dipped strawberry? What can I say that Prawnie hasn't said, except that as Kermit stepped into the graveyard every hair on my body rose in a shiver-filled creeped tantalising deliciously frightening way...poor Kermit...poor Piggy...poor Melinda...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ohhhh...oh Kermit....not falling in love with her.....yep, you got me right about here....it may have been a short chapter, but it really said so much.

Java

Reaction score
Just stab me in the heart! Oh, we need more!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Great update Lisa. Short chapter, but it serves it's purpose. No need for oxygen tanks though, thank you.
Rully loved the scene at the end with Kermit kissing his hand and touching it to Melinda's tombstone...

Also liked the dancing at the new midnight club.
Please... Post more!

Leyla

Reaction score
<singing> Tooooo----gether again! Gee, it's great that she's TogetherAgain! I just can't imagine that she's ever been gone! She never stops posting, her writing goes on!

I'm constantly amazed at how prolific you are, Lisa... and I really don't know how you do it. It's not like this is half hearted, low quality writing either! I mean, it's always well crafted and packs one heck of a wallop. Mystery of life I guess.

TogetherAgain said:
Mark Knight tilted his head back, effectively tossing his midnight-black hair out of his eyes, and scanned the dance floor for a thousandth time. His crisp suit was similar to the employee uniform, but he wore a necktie while they wore bow ties. It was appropriate that he have this slight distinction. He was, after all, the proud owner of Midnight’s Moon.

A woman in a pale blue dress floated over to him with a smile on her face and a laugh in her heart. “Darling, isn’t it wonderful?” she said as she drew near. “Isn’t it exactly how you imagined it?”
I quite like these characters Lisa, they seem like the kind of people you'd like hanging out with on a Saturday night. It probably goes without saying that I like them even more for what you did with them!

SQUEE!!!! I was SO excited to find out there was more of this scene. I didn't expect you to come back here after the last chapter, so it was quite thrilling to be back here, and with more dancing too!

Eeee!!! Dinner and dancing! Sigh... thanks sooo much for giving Kermit and Piggy such a perfect date! I do so love it when they're happy
together... even when I know it isn't gonna last too long. These moments are so precious, you know?

“Mine.”

Great banter here! And, oh, the competition! It's SUCH a great idea!!! I just love the whole progression of this evening. You start with Kermit and Piggy coming seperately... and being rather miserable, then Kermit (unnecessarily) steps up to Piggy's defense. (He's such a gentlefrog!) They compete on the dance floor... and then when they're finally dancing WITH eachother... they end up competing with this other lovely couple! Sigh... is it my birthday or something? 'Cause honestly, this was a lovely gift! I feel so rewarded... just for existing.

Yippee!!! Dance math and magic! I love love love how good Kermit and Piggy are together dancing. The whole idea of the circle of dance is absolutely intriguing and it just plays out so nicely through the rest of the scene.

He twirled his partner once, and their own magic circle quickly began to grow- immediately overlapping with that of the frog and pig.

Miss Piggy noticed and glared at the second couple, which was quickly gaining the crowd’s fickle attention.
And so it begins!! I just adore the other couple's purposeful challenge simply by invading their dance space. It's great how Piggy glares at them instantly. We all know how possessive she is! Girl doesn't appreciate interlopers trying to show her up!

She looked at Kermit to show him, but he was all ready watching them. He met her eyes and smiled a devious smile. She smiled back with a mischievous spark in her eye.
And for all I love Piggy's initial reaction, I love Kermit's even more... He takes it with good humour, but accepts the challenge. It's really interesting to see how Kermit's reaction effects Piggy's reaction. Her sort of "Hey, look what they're doing!" indignance just washes away when Kermit isn't threatened at all by it... and isn't distracted from her!

Twirl, twist, spin, turn, kick, dip- each couple was determined to upstage the other, and the song goaded them on.
Goaded!! YAY!!!

The two couples were dangerously close now, despite having the entire dance floor at their disposal. Mark spun his partner out so that she almost bumped straight into Kermit and Miss Piggy. She was much too graceful to actually do so, of course, and she laughed. In response, Kermit led Miss Piggy in a circle around them.
<giggles> Ah, this is so much fun! It's quite a good thing they didn't bump into Kermit and Piggy though!

At some point Mark caught Kermit’s eyes with a look that asked, why not?

Then the opposing couples danced side by side, mimicking each other almost perfectly.
I love the communication between the couples during this. Makes me wanna go dancing myself!

Ooh! Lovely! What a great show! I also love the song "crashing" to an end.

“We just so happen to be the owners here, and we’d like to offer you both a free dinner. Any item on the menu, you can have.”

Their jaws dropped and they looked at each other. “Wow, uh- thank you!” Kermit sputtered.
I'm not sure precisely why, but I find Kermit and Piggy's reactions utterly sweet and endearing!

Table thirty-six!!! What a great number! The chapter number, and also, a multiple of the life number, yay! (I sound like a numerologist now, but I'm not, for the record.)

<happy sigh> <ushy gushy girl drags Layla round the room with her chain for a while>
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​
I'm still beaming... but it's a wincy, unnerved, uneasy kind of smile. Gorgeous wordplay here... "the protective silence of the night." The nuzzling, the gulp, Kermit slipping an arm around Piggy... oh!! It's so beautiful and marvelous and wonderful and happy, and darn, but Kermit's not really ready to be happy in love just now and that's just so very sad...

He was overcome with a sickeningly dizzying feeling of deja vue.
<tries to breathe> Oh... oh my gosh...

Oh, gosh... I know I should be overwhelmed with Kermit pity right now... and I am, but, oh... Piggy has absolutely no idea what she's up against. How do you compete with a dead woman? Poor thing... even a perfect evening just can't overcome all of what's gone before. It goes a long way to show Kermit's reluctance really isn't all Piggy's fault, as overwhelming as she can be at times...

Ah, if you really want to be heartbroken, go back and re-read Kermit's dating Melinda, then come back and read this.

She's subtle, isn't she? :wink:

“Well uh-“

Honestly, if Piggy wasn't so forthright, they'd never get anywhere. Oh, the return of that perfect scent... sigh...

He staggered backwards.
<wince> Literally and metaphorically, right? I just feel so sorry for the both of them right now...

“Night,” he said, and she closed the door. Kermit half-fell, half-stumbled backwards down the steps, his eyes still locked on the door, his head spinning.
This reminds me a lot of the hotel scene in Swamp Call (Have I mentioned that I enjoyed that story a little bit?) only with a role reversal... Kermit knocked of his feet rather than Piggy.

"Boy," he mumbled as he steadied himself. "I've had that feeling before." He turned and slowly walked away.
"I've had that feeling before" may be one of the most painful lines you've posted to date, Lisa... and the repetition is shattering.

He did not go to his apartment, however. Instead, his flippers led him down Cole Street.
<shivers> Oh... oh Cole Street. So many sad memories... meanwhile, Piggy's bouncing and squealing and skipping her way home, floating on cloud nine.

<moans sadly> That line was shattering the first two times... and now of course, it's absolutely devastating. I guess... I guess it's the juxtaposition of two different ideas... Kermit recognising love for Piggy as the same thing he felt for Melinda... and something meant ONLY for Melinda... ah, this is so painful, beloved teacher!

<whimpers> He promises not to fall in love with her... oh! I'm so SAD now!!! Poor Kermit... poor Piggy... and she's not about to make his life any easier... Kermit's gotta be about to backpeddle like crazy after all of this... and Piggy won't understand why!

Sigh... again, gorgeous writing here, Lisa... poetic, poignant with a kind of melancholy stillness about it. Kermit's touching a kiss to the tombstone... his sad turning away... oh, and the dreamless sleep... <is absolutely smacked> You've got an armload of talent Lisa dear... thank you for putting it to good use!!

I'm gonna go cuddle a teddy for a while now...