Monsters Inc. on Video an' DVD!!!!

tygerbug

Reaction score
I call The Maxx one of the greatest animated series of all time ....

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I call The Maxx one of the greatest animated series of all time ....<<<

Man MTV was so cool when it came to animation...anybody here remember the glorious "Liquid Television"? Aeon Flux has to be one of my favorite American animes ever.

>>>I never got to see Zim, because I don't have cable, and I have to live vicariously through video tapes and bumming cable off friends and family. Unfortunately, I was never around those times, and I'm sooooo curious! I really really want to see it, but can't!<<<

dr tooth, you and I sound like we are in the same boat(no cable, looking for episodes on vhs)

Devo

Reaction score
Ppl were saying that some of the monsters look Muppet-y. Whenever I look at my Sulley McDonald's toy by my PC, I just think he looks so much like a Muppet. He could be a cousin of Sweetums :smile:

Devo

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
After viewing the commentary I know what it is that I felt was missing. The real sense of jeopardy. Pixar spent too much effort making sure it had a light kid-friendly tone that they threw away material that would add depth to the piece for viewers over the age of four.

An example - In his search for Boo, Sully checks several rooms. One of these had a long row of empty cages. They reportedly clipped it because it was "too long" and "didn't advance the plot." Nothing could be further from the truth in my eyes.

Kids loved Nightmare Before Christmas and it had some rather morbid bits. Monsters just seems too candy-coated for my taste.

As I have said - I really do love the film; it just pulled too many punches and became rather Disney-ized in the process. A shame. It's a good film that could have been a great one.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Makes me wonder what Pixar could do once it gets out from under Disney's tyrranical rule. Except that Nightmare was released under Disney (well, Touchstone, but after it's cult success Disney reclaimed it.)

I have this feeling that the next few Pixar films will be like Monster's Inc. where they are really good, but not the excellent films that Pixar could really make. Take it more like obligatory contract fillers--good enough that they don't soil their own name, but keeping back the really excellent stuff for when they have complete creative control.

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
Monsters, Inc. is my favorite Pixar film, and the DVD is a must.

After seeing the second DVD, I want to work for Pixar... :big_grin:

-SPEEGS

beaker

Reaction score
Being a long time film buff, I can spot softening up, or Disneyfying...yet I saw none of this on Monsters Inc...after pouring over virtually every extra and interview on the 2 disc set.

Monsters Inc stands as my pick for best film of last year...even above Ocean's Eleven, Amelie, Memento, etc...for the simple fact it had been quite awhile since I have been literally blown away in all aspects of a film.

Sadly, the next batch of Pixar films looks rather, less than stellar. Fish? Cars? *sigh* could Monsters Inc be the last great Pixar film for some time to come? Hmmm

Btw, it is funny NBXmas is now "reowned" by Disney due to its huge cult success post 1993 release.

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Being a long time film buff, I can spot softening up, or Disneyfying...yet I saw none of this on Monsters Inc...after pouring over virtually every extra and interview on the 2 disc set.

Monsters Inc stands as my pick for best film of last year...even above Ocean's Eleven, Amelie, Memento, etc...for the simple fact it had been quite awhile since I have been literally blown away in all aspects of a film.

Sadly, the next batch of Pixar films looks rather, less than stellar. Fish? Cars? *sigh* could Monsters Inc be the last great Pixar film for some time to come? Hmmm

Yeah, I saw the trailer for Finding Nemo, and that looks like it might turn out to be even worse than Ice Age... ( :eek: )

-SPEEGS

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Yeah, I saw the trailer for Finding Nemo, and that looks like it might turn out to be even worse than Ice Age<<<

Ack, dont remind me of Ice Age. Seriously though, it looked like it was animated at a local community college...so bland. However, Sid the Sloth was very very cool. I could definately see him as a Muppet character.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey - I liked Ice Age. It was a noble first effort. Of course it's not high quality but it had more pop than Monsters Inc in my opinion. Too much playing to the kids though. I will definitely buy it on DVD!