Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That's great. I have some questions. If you plan on mentioning the stuff that I ask in your review then it's okay with me that you don't answer here.

Does the booklet give a listing of all sketches that are included, with possible titles? Does it list the sketches and give mention of what seasons the skits were originally from?

There is no voice dubbing, right (in other words, Martin Robinson didn't dub over Jerry Nelson's Snuffy lines)?

Does the original pilot feature Rowlf's scenes?

Is the baker film for the number nine (featuring a cameo by Rowlf) included?

Do you know if any of the episodes are edited (you can check the individual episode pages at Muppet Wiki to see if those page lists any sketches that aren't included on the set.... and if you are a member, fell free to list any sketches that are not listed in those pages, as Noggin's edits to most episodes are unknown to the users of Muppet Wiki)?

Do the episodes have the original Children's Television Workshop logo? Is there an added Sesame Workshop logo (and an added "Kermit the Frog is a trademark of The Muppets Holding Company" copyright credit)?

I won't ask you to list every bonus sketch that's included. You can do that in your review, or list them on your own.

chpoof

Reaction score
The only edit I'm aware of in the season 1 premiere was to the kids playing follow the leader (my fondest memory as a kid!). I'm *really* hoping that skit appears in its entirety (and, of course, I hope all the remaining episodes are complete as well). My understanding is that Noggin edited out most of the scenes where Jimmy goofs up. Sorta defeats the whole purpose of "everyone makes mistakes," ya know? Anyway, I guess we'll all find out soon enough. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think it's great that the set has the first five premiers, but I think that maybe it should have been titled "Season Premier Collection", instead of "Old School". That way, we'd know for sure if the next set (let's hope there will be one) would be the next five seasosn or not. We'll just have to hope that this set sells well and wait for a press release concerning the next set, to see if the next one will be more episodes from these seasons, the season premiers for seasosn 6-10, some episodes from the first five years and some from some additional seasons, or something else.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had an idea. I am not sure how good or bad this would be. But maybe, after the set is released and we know what all of the included sketches are, we could make a list of the top 45 skits from the first five seasons (and maybe also the last five seasons of the 1970s) that we want on volume two, and after it's all done, one of us who has had quite a bit of good experience e-mailling Sesame Workshop and/ or Sony Wonder could compile the top 45 most-wanted skits that aren't included on volume one and also mention whatever thread has the wishlists of fans (to prove that they are the most-wanted, and to see what else fans want). I say we could include the first and secodn five years, because we don't know for sure if Sesame Workshop is planning on releasing episodes from later seasons or just sticking to the first five.

I think that listing a wish list of episodes might be tricky. There are a lot of episodes that were shown on Noggin that many of us have seen and would probably like to have on an official DVD. There are also a lot of episodes not shown on Noggin that have either been mentioned in articles or books or even mentioned by fans, episodes of which we don't know the exact number of (most of you probably saw those episodes as kids, and what kind of kid would memorize an episode number well enough to still remember it?). And we all probably want some episodes that we don't even know about, and there are hundreds of those.

Still, I think that would be a good idea. What do you think?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Astro4004 said:
Is it true that Kermit has been edited from the all of the episodes?
I think it's pretty much been confirmed that Kermit will be included on the set. Hopefully none of his skits have been cut from any of the episodes included. But the official site shows a clip montage that includes a Kermit scene, and the official press release mentions that the set has Kermit singing Bein' Green. I was looking at the pages for these episodes at Muppet Wiki, and by my count, there are at least 11 Kermit scenes (assuming that none of them are cut), including confirmed bonus skits (I'm assuming they are bonus skits, but they could have been cut in Noggins broadcast of these episodes).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have been looking at the sketch lists for the episodes included, and thinking about the bonus skits that are known, and by my count, the set has at least 19 skits that have already been released on video and/ or DVD:
1. Wanda the Witch
2. Doll House
3. Beat the Time with Cookie Monster
4. C is for Cookie
5. Dee, Dee, Dee
6. Sesame Street News: Rupunzel
7. The Alligator King
8. The King of 8
9. Ernie doens't think he's special
10. Daddy Dear
11. Doin' the Pigeon
12. Ladybug Picnic
13. Over, Under, Around, and Through
14. Everybody Sleeps
15. Kermit and a girl recite the alphabet
16. counting to 20 with four-armed man
17. The Chicken or the Egg
18. How do you Do?
19. Fat Cat

and there are a few maybes:
20. Pinball Number Count.... it wasn't said which Pinball Number Count sketch will be included (I'm guessing it's not the remix created for the What's the Name of That Song? DVD). The sketch for 12 has already been released on video and DVD, but I don't think the others have.
21. Rubber Duckie... this could be the one that's been available on many video and DVD releases, or this could be the version from one of the test pilots.

It looks like the set also has five repeated segments:
1. Wanda the Witch (showj twice in episode 1)
2. W is for Worm (shown twice in episode 1)
3. Daddy Dear (shown in the season 4 and 5 premiers)
4. Jazz #2 (in episode 1 and season 5 premier)
5. Let's Sing a Song of two (in episode one and shown twice in another episode)

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
gbrobeck said:
I have gotten a hold of a copy (got it today), and I can confirm that fact, and each season premiere is accompanied by a clip section featuring clips from that respective season. I will be writing a review for this site, so expect that soon. I'll hold off on revealing anymore details and just say be sure to read my review!

Greg

Oh, could you just post the link for your review, please?

Instead of teasing us like this, just either divulge some more details or post the silly link! :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The review will be on-line as soon as possible. Any questions that aren't answered there feel free to ask after the review is on-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.