Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TeacherLady

Reaction score
First of all, yes it is selfish to want a decent show to be canceled simply because it's not what some people think it should be. It still holds a VERY wide audience and holds far more importance than just a TV show with all of the work Sesame Workshop does in the area of education around the globe. I can think of far more crap on TV that should face the guillotine first!

I agree that they seem to have dumbed it down a little, but specifically in the area of the type of humor. It no longer entertains the parents as much as it used to, which was an important selling point for the show. The humor isn't quite as caustic and witty as it used to be (eg. Ernie implying Bert was a "square", Kermit saying "We should do this again sometime if you want to! Well... We'll do it anyway." or something along those lines)

However, the educational and entertainment value of the show still holds true for children.

If you were brought up on the 80s Sesame Street, you wouldn't have been too happy if they canceled the show because it wasn't the show it was in the 70s.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The thing is the adult humor and the cultural references weren't just for the parents. It was for the children as well. It was saying, "We think you're smart enough to appreciate the humor and references, even if don't fully understand yet." It didn't underestimate the kids. It gave them a fuller, richer impression of the world.

There are plenty of kids shows today that still use adult humor and references, and kids love them. So that formula has definitely not gotten old, because it is beneficial and important.

Davina

Reaction score
I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the show of today is also aimed at a _younger_ audience then it use to be.. more "older" children are in pre school and not home as much to watch the shows.. those that are tend to be younger, maybe 3 at most.. after that, parents think their children "have" to be in preschool or they won't so well later.. (this is a trend i've noticed, anyway...)
use to be that older children would be home and watching the program as well, they're not there as much today, so the show doesn't cater as much to them as they use to.

At least, that is my take on the situation.. and no, i'm not a big fan of the current show lay out, i don't have small children at home right now, and I don't watch the show on may sort of regular basis.. (i use to.. even 2 years ago i'd watch it at least once a week.. now maybe once or twice a month..)

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
The show is an icon of educational television, and is still doing its job after almost 40 years. I don't think it should ever be cancelled. It may change in format or in cast, but Sesame Street remains important to young children around the world.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
A series such as Sesame Street should never end after its 40th season.

To me it generates a legacy that carries on thorughout vast of generations of children, So for that each one knows the knowledge of numbers and letters. :smile:

It has also created a variety of characters, that people have grown to love and know, for that to disappear. :frown:

I would truly say no for the series not to end, and for it to be more upbeat to try to reach out to the variety of generations that it is trying to entertain or retain the formula that has always worked time and time again. :excited:

Davina

Reaction score
I have to say, if i did have small children in the home (and hubby and i are hoping to adopt soon, so there will be eventually) and my 20 yr old step daughter is expecting her first baby.. and I darn well want them to have SS as part of their lives. The current format may not be the one I grew up with, or one that I can properly enjoy, but it's still SS and one of the best children's programs out there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I may have problems with it, but I don't think it needs to be cancelled. Otherwise, it might really go out of the public's consciousness. It's just that for me, if I want my kids to grow up with Sesame Street, I'd rather show them the older DVDs and books (and not just because it's the one I grew up with. But because I think it's the most beneficial). ::shrugs:: I might show them the actual show to give it all some context, but it's still very difficult to know what to do. (Luckily I'm getting ahead of myself here! Lol)

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Well it's not going to happen so we might as well just accept things the way they are.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree........ I think @ the very least they should try and get the ORIGINAL FORMAT back,its totally disgusting the way it is now!
Yeah, well they might at some point, you never know. They eventually moved away from the Around the Corner era (which I didn't mind too much, but just trying to make a point.) :smile: