Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

Aleal

Reaction score
Once again, let me point out that any and all info about the direct to DVD status comes entirely from one sentence: "Along with a new Batman feature, fans of the original Dark Crystal will be excited to know about a sequel also being released this year on DVD." That sentence is from a blogger at Latino Review. That's it. They had no source for it all, but assumed, since the movie was discussed at Wizard's website along with some other projects which will be going to DVD (and at least one which certainly will not), that it was a DVD, since they clearly hadn't followed any of the history of "Power of the Dark Crystal."

One can read the official Henson statement as vague if one likes, but it seems pretty clear to me ("a film for theatrical release" can't mean anything else, really, in contrast to, say "a theatrical quality film"), especially since as I said, only one sentence was the source of the original rumor, and Muppet Central, Cinema Blend, and others just ran with it.

GoblinBabe

Reaction score
Personally, I think the Henson company needs a big hit theatrical release to boost there income and to let dedicated fans know that they can still meet the expectations that Jim Henson had. The Henson dream has been a part of my life from the begining and I want to share that special magic Jim had with my own children someday. I'm very eager to see the results of this movie and was stoked to learn it would only be made of Brian Froud was a part of the production team.

Here's hoping to a new begining for the Jim Henson Company!

MattFraggle

Reaction score
I actually don't mind CG for this or any other Henson project. Remember, jimhimself was fascinated with CG ( which they started playing with on the Jim Henson hour, if I remember correctly. )

I was trained by Disney artists, and most remarked the Walt Disney himself was enamored with technology. He would have no doubt LOVED computer animation and pushed it to its limits. more or less, it all comes down to this simple fact:

CG is a tool. Just a tool. A tool that, for all its over-use, is responsible for ensuring that movies like Lord of the Rings got made. budget-wise, if it weren't for Cg, that trilogy NEVER woulda seen the light of day, or looked HALF as good. I'm not saying practical effects or makeup, or animatronics couldn't come close. I LOVE old school effects. But when you actually sit down and play with 3d as I have, you realize WHY it's so frequently used. As years go by, it gets cheaper and easier to use.

Don't freak out TOO much by any mention of CG in the Dark crystal movie ( IF any of these rumors are true ) I suppose I, like everyone else here, will wait for the film to come out and judge it on its merits )

That's really all any of us can do.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The problem with CGI right now is that it's still in its infancy. If it's not done well because of lack of funds or technology (as happens very often), it's very disapointing.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I also think that with CG Vs. Anamtronics that Cg just does not look as real. i mean if you watch the first Jurasic Park movie you can tell which is CG and what isn't. I also think that as an actor it would be a whole lot easier to act with a puppet of some kind insted of something what was to be added latter in post production.
Regarding the Dark Cristal and CG i want to say the less they use the better. Now if they use it for some big fight scene or something then i could understand it. If you look at MTI there was some CG used but it was done well and not overdone. I think I will always love seeing Kermit doing all them flips to me that was the coolest Kermit has ever been.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think companies are far too confident in CGI, with the idea that it could eventually replace everything else, including actors. CGI, even good CGI, always has a slight cartoon quality, you know it's not real.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I tend to take a Muppety attitude about it - all is welcome and has a place. I't just finding where that belongs.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I tend to take a Muppety attitude about it - all is welcome and has a place. I't just finding where that belongs.
I agree, it all has a purpose if used properly. It's just that CGI companies need to learn that. Hehe

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree, it all has a purpose if used properly. It's just that CGI companies need to learn that. Hehe
The fad of audiences flocking to CG film spectacles is diminishing. It's becoming clear moviegoers want good stories told and made the best way they can be. This means a variety of methods, not just the new shiny ones. I'm been saying that for years. And of course there will be a traditionally animated film that will come along and create a retro-fad of hand drawn pictures for a while. Film is a language, not just a technology. A Dark Crystal sequel and Fraggle Rock film will greatly benefit from computer techniques. Jim Henson would definitely have used them, but he would have masterfully fused them into a mixture of techniques. That's how it should be. There's just something about an actual physical pressence that can't be replicated.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The fad of audiences flocking to CG film spectacles is diminishing. It's becoming clear moviegoers want good stories told and made the best way they can be. This means a variety of methods, not just the new shiny ones. I'm been saying that for years. And of course there will be a traditionally animated film that will come along and create a retro-fad of hand drawn pictures for a while. Film is a language, not just a technology. A Dark Crystal sequel and Fraggle Rock film will greatly benefit from computer techniques. Jim Henson would definitely have used them, but he would have masterfully fused them into a mixture of techniques. That's how it should be. There's just something about an actual physical pressence that can't be replicated.
i kind of think that is what i was saying as well i think. lol.