Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

JMPrater

Reaction score
Yes, it is perfectly normal, I think the problem is, or, the issue for me is, it's been over two years, and with the exception of the leaked comic-con video, and the 2-3 images released via JHC, there's been nothing, and yet, they've been in production for some time. I know I'm just impatient! ha! It would be nice to be able to see more of an 'in process' look before the film comes out.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm still keeping hope we have a theatrical release. Either way, I'll be watching it and supporting it.

I agree with the above sentiment--it's been so long since we've had new anything that I'm chomping at the bits to see it get going! If they need us, maybe we should get out there and help 'em, eh?

MattFraggle

Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that MAYBE we need new talent. not that stevewhitmire, karen prell, Jim Henson, Frank Oz, etc aren't great. but after a while the same people can only make the same thing. And THAT'S why i suggested afew post back that maybe we'd be better off watching ORIGINAL movies instead of sequels.

That said, IF the movie comes out, i will ONLY watch it in a theater. I like the experience of going to a film on opening night or the following week. i HATE watching movies on phones or ipods or a "big screen" tv. it just...isn't...the same.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
re

Exactly, most if not all movies are kept under wraps. It's perfectly normal. :smile:
Truth is, its not normal... delays not withstanding, they're about a year behind on the teaser trailer, and you dont even need footage for that....

There is absolutely no doubt that the company is seriously lagging behind in the way they reach out to, not only their fan base, but potential fan base. The very fact that they cant figure out that they have to seperate the Skrumps type stuff from the tinseltown type stuff on the opening page of their site is proof positive that not only are their communication efforts complete after thoughts, but also that they have no idea HOW to talk to their fan base.

Prater is right. Wheres the web docs, the production logs, attempts to hype one of their most prestigious franchises ever? Have you thought of this? Where the movies official website? Time to wake up and smell the coffee. I aint mad, Ill always be proud to be a fan, its just my 2 cents...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Truth is, its not normal... delays not withstanding, they're about a year behind on the teaser trailer, and you dont even need footage for that....
Take, for example, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skill". That film is a very highly anticipated film with a huge fan base of very dedicated and hard-core fans. The film will be hitting theaters in 4 months...and there has been no trailer, no giant production blogs and only about 4 officially released images thus far. Most of the meaty information about the film has only just started to surface.

Now, Power of the Dark Crystal is at least 18-24 months away from hitting theaters. Physical production/filming has not started yet. They are still technically in pre-production.

About 14-20 months about, there was little to no official information out there about Indy 4 other then that it was being developed. Dark Crystal fans have gotten a lot more than Indy fans.

Over the past 31 months, since the announcement that the company was going to start developing the idea of a sequel, a lot has happened - the script was written and finalized by David Odell, a director was hired, a distributor and production company was signed, conceptual artwork and designs have been done by Brian Froud, and a lot more business work. We’ve gotten to see more than a dozen conceptual designs, there have been 3 major press releases regarding the film, a presentation was made at Comic-con about the film... heck, they are even selling official t-shirts for the film.

Sure there are some big films that really pump out the publicity years before the movie's release, but this isn't going to be one of those films. Most films aren't.

There are many big films planned to come out before Dark Crystal 2 (Harry Potter 6, Madagascar 2, Bond 22, Star Trek, Transformers 2, Ice Age 3...) and none of them are providing fans with the kinds of information that some of the people here seem to feel entitled too at this point. So wait for production to really get going, wait for the release to get a little nearer, patience.

Viking Hero

Reaction score
I would like to point out a few things to all of you nay-sayers out there.
-ONE: Just because it is going directly to DVD does not mean it will be bad, i mean come on this is the Henson Company we are talking about.
-TWO: This movie will not live up to your hopes and dreams because it will be compared to the original which most of us saw in our child hood. How many of you love(d) Power Rangers? Or the TMNT? But now if you go back to them they're not as good. We had different ideas and minds as children and everything was better that it really was, that is why Power Rangers and other programs that kids watch do so well.
-THREE: Mirror Mask was a great movie. If you can't appreciate the art of that movie then you might dislike other Henson projects, or you might like them as well.
-FOUR: This movie doesn’t have to come out to theaters for it to be good. Treat it as you would a theatrical production. I have seen marvelous productions of theater (both puppet and regular) that were not on Broadway or anything like that. Just because they are not "big" productions does not mean that it will be bad.

I could go on but I won't.

JMPrater

Reaction score
18 to 24 months away? Where did you come up with that estimate gelflingwaldo? Last I heard, the film was due for a 2009 release. 18 months would mean at least 2010, and nowhere has that been said. Last I read "Everything was back on track" and from what I gathered, based off of earlier reports, physical production has started.

In terms of Indiana Jones 4, images, news and video diaries debuted nearly a full year before the film was released. If any one keeps up with that production, stills, and video started last summer.

So, in retrospect, I just don't buy it. Look at the imagery already produced with the use of the Jen & Kira puppets. The Power of the Dark Crystal was initially slated for a 2008 May release, due to budgetary issues, it was put on hold. A couple of months later, everything resumed course, albeit for a 2009 release instead, which is less then a year a way.

J.M. Prater

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
18 to 24 months away? Where did you come up with that estimate gelflingwaldo?
Well, that would place it between July-December 2009. The last word I got from Henson on the issue was a late 2009 release.

In terms of Indiana Jones 4, images, news and video diaries debuted nearly a full year before the film was released. If any one keeps up with that production, stills, and video started last summer.
Yes, but all that stuff started to come out after physical production/filming had actually started. That hasn't happened yet for this film. I would wait until they get out of pre-production before you expect to see the team focusing on promotion.