So Bad They're Good: Cult Films

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the 1992 Disney live action musical Newsies sort of falls into the cult category. It didn't do very well at the box office initially and isn't usually included in Disney's greatest hits. Yet the film ended up having a huge following among High School drama clubs and acting classes and now has a whole new group of fans who weren't even born when it first came out!

Kiki

Reaction score
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark-
My daddy has always been in love with her so I saw this over and over. Once you get over the outfits it is a very funny movie IMHO (And all my cult movies seem to be Halloween ones so far)

The Last Unicorn-
Not a forgotten cult classic, but a cult one just the same I think. The magical story, animation, music and voices just make a fairy tale all their own :3. The book version is wonderful, but the movie just has a special magic. It was made in japan for the US voices and never shown at the movies there oddly enough...

Watership Down-
The book is a classic, but the cartoon movie is one that still to this day has a following that both loves and is still a bit afraid of it. Many fans were scarred for life from parts of the more bloody fights and spooky scenes and symbols foretelling bunny death in a more than Boober-ish way. I'm not sure if it did well in the past or not, but Watership Down has a place in history in my book :smile:
Love all of them. Esp. Elvira, growwwwwl. =P

LOVE that movie! Can get dull, but I just love seeing the effects.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the 1992 Disney live action musical Newsies sort of falls into the cult category. It didn't do very well at the box office initially and isn't usually included in Disney's greatest hits. Yet the film ended up having a huge following among High School drama clubs and acting classes and now has a whole new group of fans who weren't even born when it first came out!
There's a local college radio station that has kid's programming, and they managed to play at least one song (usually King of New York) every single week. That's helping to keep that alive. So yeah, cult would be the right term.

I wonder if Dick Tracy has a cult following.... I really liked that movie, myself... and it seemed to be a big flop when it came out.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's a local college radio station that has kid's programming, and they managed to play at least one song (usually King of New York) every single week. That's helping to keep that alive. So yeah, cult would be the right term.
Oh how cool! Yeah it's always encouraging when fans do their part. (As they said in Newsies, "Carrying the Banner!") :wink:

I wonder if Dick Tracy has a cult following.... I really liked that movie, myself... and it seemed to be a big flop when it came out.
I remember all the hype before its release, especially at McDonalds with their collectible cups, wish I'd gotten one! :smile:

Princeton

Reaction score
I think the 1992 Disney live action musical Newsies sort of falls into the cult category. It didn't do very well at the box office initially and isn't usually included in Disney's greatest hits.
Tell me about it! As far as I know, none of the soundtrack is available on iTunes. Well, there's karaoke tracks, but no vocal stuff.

Also, I was recently listening to a podcast with Alan Menken and he said that he's in the process of revamping Newsies for the stage.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember all the hype before its release, especially at McDonalds with their collectible cups, wish I'd gotten one! :smile:

Well, Dick Tracy was pegged to be the next Batman... it did midly well from what I heard, but not nearly as good as they would have hoped, and a LOT of DT merchandise went straight to clearance... sometimes straight to dollar store. I really think it is a good movie... stunt casting Maddona as Breathless Mahoney aside.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I used to watch Love at First Bite over my grandparent's apartment, very campy but good. The 'Children of the night, shut up!' line is one that I wait for every viewing, it just tickles me.:stick_out_tongue:

(some of these may have been listed already)
Logan's Run
Tron
Scanners
Carrie
Cat's Eye
The Mist
The Village, Signs, Lady in the Water, Sixth Sense(almost all of M. Night Shyamalan)
Ogre(sort of like the movie The Village)