So Bad They're Good: Cult Films

Kiki

Reaction score
Like I said, I want to see The Man Who Fell To Earth, but it's R so I might have trouble getting it. Same with Bad Taste. Bad taste was hilarious though. I want to see The Wall, but has anyone here done "Dark Side of The Rainbow"? I saw half of it on my friend's iPod, and it is just freaky.
Havn't seen the actual thing, but I have attempted to synch up Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz. Yep, I didn't just get the DVD... I actually tried to synch it up (I have tooo much time on my hands, lol)! How smart am I? :stick_out_tongue: It didn't work too well, I only picked up on a couple of things, only because I know the album fairly well. Is it any good? Is it trippy-as? =D
You gotta watch The Wall, it's not everyone's cup of tea but you might like it- I do. It's bascially the album in movie-form, really interesting concept. It's good to know a bit of background about it though before watching it, because I leant to to a friend who wasn't aware of what it was all about and she was a bit lost, lol. Kinda surreal in some bits, the animator is Gerald Scarfe who's art appears in the movie and it looks really amazing.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Do you think that the Marx Brothers would qualify under cult films? I mean, they have a big following but I'm not sure what you would qualify as 'Cult films'. Like so bad it's good, or like have a big following.

Daniel

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think many of the listed ones are a bit too well known to be cult :\. Also, I don't think a movie has to be 'bad' to be cult ether :stick_out_tongue:

Love at First Bite-
For some reason this movie has always given me the warm fuzzies. I love vampires, and while this movie was made to make fun of them I still feel it has a lot of heart.

Saturday the 14th-
Random too silly but still nice to watch on Halloween fun I think. Not as good as LAFB because it tries a bit too hard IMHO.

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark-
My daddy has always been in love with her so I saw this over and over. Once you get over the outfits it is a very funny movie IMHO (And all my cult movies seem to be Halloween ones so far)

The fantastic Adventures of Unico/Unico and the Island of Magic-
Two anime films that nearly everyone around my age grew up with but heardly many remember the name of. The images of a sweet little baby unicorn who just wants to make people happy is long lasting :smile:

The Last Unicorn-
Not a forgotten cult classic, but a cult one just the same I think. The magical story, animation, music and voices just make a fairy tale all their own :3. The book version is wonderful, but the movie just has a special magic. It was made in japan for the US voices and never shown at the movies there oddly enough...

Watership Down-
The book is a classic, but the cartoon movie is one that still to this day has a following that both loves and is still a bit afraid of it. Many fans were scarred for life from parts of the more bloody fights and spooky scenes and symbols foretelling bunny death in a more than Boober-ish way. I'm not sure if it did well in the past or not, but Watership Down has a place in history in my book :smile:

The Boy Who Could Fly-
A sweet, simple story that I think is overlooked too often. Usually anyone who grew up with the early 90's Disney channel remembers parts of it with a smile :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think many of the listed ones are a bit too well known to be cult :\.

Love at First Bite-
For some reason this movie has always given me the warm fuzzies. I love vampires, and while this movie was made to make fun of them I still feel it has a lot of heart.

Finally... someone else who likes that one. One of my favorite comedy Dracula films (though, Sovereign of the [Biblical use of the D word] would also qualify, if it were supposed to be funny).

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm someone who can't bring myself to totally hate "Death to Smoochy." I just think it was pretty funny and Robin Williams was great as Rainbow Randolph. I know most people hate this movie and it's not well received, but I can honestly say I enjoyed it.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Actually enjoyed Death to Smootchy, also liked Master of Disguise. Don't QUITE know why, I guess it's the kid in me or something.

Daniel

Redsonga

Reaction score
Finally... someone else who likes that one. One of my favorite comedy Dracula films (though, Sovereign of the [Biblical use of the D word] would also qualify, if it were supposed to be funny).

I think the one line:
"Children of the night...SHUT UP!" Is just priceless by itself :3

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Do you think that the Marx Brothers would qualify under cult films? I mean, they have a big following but I'm not sure what you would qualify as 'Cult films'. Like so bad it's good, or like have a big following.
Overall I don't think the Marx Brothers aren't really cult now, because they're accepted as among the great classic comedians of all time.

However, I think Duck Soup was sort of a cult film, in that it wasn't too well received when it premiered in 1933, and almost cost the brothers their movie careers. Yet Duck Soup found a whole new audience in the 1960s, when protesting war and rebelling against corrupt leaders was very popular. Today, Duck Soup is often listed as one of the best comedies of all time. :smile:

So Teheheman, maybe the Marxes could be called "former cult." Hehe, good point bringing it up! :wink:

"I'll put my foot down, so shall it be. This is the land of the free!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Overall I don't think the Marx Brothers aren't really cult now, because they're accepted as among the great classic comedians of all time.
When it comes to cult, I think there's a mainstream cult... when things that are either sort of cult, cult-like, or once cult and now openly accepted by the masses, and true cult, where things are still in the dark enough.

A lot of movies that do poorly initially get bigger and better fan bases as time goes on, in the case of the Marx films, they become old standards that are widely accepted. While UHF is still cult for the fact that the fan base (mainly of Weird Al) was the only one who pushed the movie's momentum after it premiered and flopped. Until the DVD release, the VHS of UHF went for fortunes online. Used. That is the very definition of cult.

The thing about Cult films, though, is that they usually tend to fit into the "Midnight movie" "So bad it's Good" "MST3K" group... I'm sure a lot of films considered "cult" are actually quite well done and thought provoking.

I've been seeing the resurgence of 1980's stuff, and a lot of 80's movies (even ones that were successful) be considered "cult." I've seen a lot of local theaters have midnight screenings of stuff like Pee Wee's Great Adventure, The Goonies, Transformers (the 80's cartoon one of course), and even Indian Jones- something not considered cult at all.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well I saw some people post the Labyrinth as a cult film and if that counts (which I guess it does) put that on my list of loved cult films as well as Dark Crystal.

I guess a few Disney films that would go under this banner than I enjoy a lot would include...

Tron
Hocus Pocus
Heavyweights

Plus again I'm not sure if this would count but I love "Josie and the Pussycats," it wasn't excatly a huge hit but I actually love that movie very very much to the point where some friends of mine have made fun of me for loving it so much.