So Bad They're Good: Cult Films

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's an obscure one... There's a Japanese animated movie called Dracula, Sovereign of the [Word that begins with D that doesn't get past the swear filter, used in a biblical sense]. Now, talk about terrible. It's based off of a series of comics of the same name written by Marv Wolfman... and it is the single most convoluted thing you'd ever ever see.

To put it shortly, Dracula kidnaps a woman who was about to be sacrificed to Satan, falls in love with her and can't feed off of her, they have a child, Satan acts revenge, trying to kill Drac, but killing his baby instead (as Drac turns into a puff of smoke to dodge it, then moans "Why couldn't that bullet have hit me?"... You DID dodge it after all, Drac), God brings the baby back to life as a fuilly grown adult in spandex to destroy Dracula, Satan takes Dracula's Vampire powers, Dracula needs to call in favors to get it back... and it's just a mess all the way around. Meanwhile, someone who's somehow in Vlad the impailer's blood lines (who didn't get the curse) works with the descendant of VanHelsing, a professor in a wheelchair (surprise section in the ending), and a great dane... and we all know what horror cartoon stars a great dane...to defeat Dracula with unintentionally hilarious results.

So yeah, you HAVE to check it out if you can find it online. It's... it's so kinds of crappy. But you HAVE to check it out.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Terry Gilliam's-Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Fido
Meatballs II
Jaws 3-D & Jaws 4
Superman 3,Superman IV
Hercules
Xanadu
Annie
The Pirate Movie
Stroker Ace
Stayin' Alive
Rhinestone
Rocky IV
ISHTAR
Caddyshack II
Cocktail
Hot to Trot
Delerious
High Spirits
Willow
Ladyhawke
Poltergeist III
Karate Kid III
Once Bitten
Transylvania 6500
Earth Girls Are Easy
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
Godfather III
Nothing But Trouble
Hudson Hawk
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
Cool World
Throw Momma From the Train
Toys
Encino Man
The Bodyguard
Much Ado About Nothing
Denice the Menice
Richie R$ch
Last Action Hero
North
The Flintstones
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Mask
How The Grinch Stole Christmas(Jim Carrey)
The Truman Show
Waterworld
Four-Rooms
Bio-Dome
Striptease
Island of Dr. Moreau
Top Secret!
Twister
Batman & Robin
Speed 2: Cruise Control
The Fifth Element
Con Air
Lost World: Jurassic Park
Home Alone 2 & 3
McHale's Navy
Anaconda
The Man in the Iron Mask(remake)
Romeo and Juliet(remake)
Lethal Weapon 4
Boomerang
Ghost Dad
Wild Wild West
Blair Witch Project
Bicentennial Man
Battlefield Earth
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Swordfish
Charlie's Angels
Catwoman
The Dukes of Hazzard
Aeon Flux
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Oh God: You Devil!
Heart and Souls
Air America
Hot Shots!
Life Stinks!
Grease 2
Two of a Kind
Help!
Magical Mystery Tour!
City Slickers II: Legend of Curley's Gold
Mary Shelley's: Frankenstein

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to disagree with Get Smart. Trust me, I'm a huge Don Adams fan... I saw an actual Get Smart movie I got for Christmas on DVD starring Don... and even I thought the Steve Carell remake was superior. The dude was Maxwell Smart. He did a few things uniquely him, but he was able to keep the same straight faced smirk while saying impossibly goofy things. And I really think it did the show justice... something hard to find.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
They Live!
Addam's Family Values
Son of Pink Panther
Shanghai Surprise
Dick Tracy
Princess Mononoke
Space Camp
The Goonies
Explorers
Napoleon Dynamite
Revenge of the Nerds: II,III,IV
Garden State
Die Hard II
Alien 3
Species II
Terminator 3
Police Academy Series

Kiki

Reaction score
Dude- Meet the Feebles.

And two words:
Ralph. Bakshi.

Coonskin... Fritz the Cat... Heavy Traffic... all 'dem wholesome 70s cartoons. =D

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And two words:
Ralph. Bakshi.

Coonskin... Fritz the Cat... Heavy Traffic... all 'dem wholesome 70s cartoons. =D
And his version of Lord of the Rings, which I honestly enjoy as much as Peter Jackson's movies (Jackson even said Bakshi's version was his first exposure to the story).

Kiki

Reaction score
Agreed with all of your's, Leach. Don't forget Tommy. =D
Love that movie! A late-night fave of mine. =D My friend and I are always making references to it..

Let's not forget about UHF, Weird Al Yankovic's excuse to make bad movie and TV parodies. I love that movie! :smile:
Dude, I *love* that movie! :excited:

3 words when it comes to Cult films: Howard the Duck

Daniel
Lol, omg... that's scary stuff, there! I have the comic. =D

Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Animal House
Hocus Pocus
Clue
Heman-Masters of the Universe
Get Smart
Bewitched
Hercules
Xanadu
Annie
Stayin' Alive
Caddyshack II
Hot to Trot
Delerious
Willow
Ladyhawke
Poltergeist III
Karate Kid III
Earth Girls Are Easy
Godfather III
Cool World
Toys
Encino Man
The Bodyguard
Much Ado About Nothing
Denice the Menice
Richie R$ch
The Flintstones
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Mask
The Truman Show
Striptease
Twister
Batman & Robin
Lost World: Jurassic Park
Home Alone 2 & 3
Anaconda
Romeo and Juliet(remake)
Blair Witch Project
Bicentennial Man
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Hot Shots!
Help!
Magical Mystery Tour!
Nnyes, I like most of 'em (guilty pleasures, needless to say :big_grin:). But I do find BW Project overrated... and Godfather 3 and Batman and Robin makes me cry on the inside. ;_;

Hot to Trot was on TV once, really early in the morning. Oh God... my brother and I were half out-of-it and watching that movie was just... oddness. :confused:

And his version of Lord of the Rings, which I honestly enjoy as much as Peter Jackson's movies (Jackson even said Bakshi's version was his first exposure to the story).
Whoa- I had no idea he said that!

Hey guys, how about Santa Claus Defeats the Aliens, eh? :stick_out_tongue:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I'm probably going to be hung, crucified, stoned and burnt for saying this, but...

LABYRINTH

There are some other cult, not necessarily bad movies I like, eg. Playing Beatie Bow, Time Bandits, The secret garden.
and for the funniest film I have to go A Fish Called Wanda
One cult film I really want to see is The Man Who Fell To Earth, but my dad said it was so weird he refused to rent it. How can someone refuse a movie with David Bowie having hanky panky! :insatiable:

OMG I thought of more : Help! (love that movie, you can tell they're stoned lol)
Bad Taste. Arguably the best Peter Jackson movie, covered in gore with useless ninja fights, aliens and guerrilla fighters.

Kiki

Reaction score
I'm probably going to be hung, crucified, stoned and burnt for saying this, but...

LABYRINTH

There are some other cult, not necessarily bad movies I like, eg. Playing Beatie Bow, Time Bandits, The secret garden.
and for the funniest film I have to go A Fish Called Wanda
One cult film I really want to see is The Man Who Fell To Earth, but my dad said it was so weird he refused to rent it. How can someone refuse a movie with David Bowie having hanky panky! :insatiable:

OMG I thought of more : Help! (love that movie, you can tell they're stoned lol)
Bad Taste. Arguably the best Peter Jackson movie, covered in gore with useless ninja fights, aliens and guerrilla fighters.
I haven't seen Bad Taste yet, but I've seen most of the ones you've mentioned- they're awesome! =D However, I haven't seen The Man Who Fell To Earth (darn!), but I love the randomness of Help!. Magical Mystery Tour's good too!

Forgot to mention The Wall, too. Not the most uplifting movie, but if you're into the music and stuff it's pretty awesome. Though you might have to be, like, stoned or something to get a /real/ kick out of it, lol. :stick_out_tongue:

Also love Vanishing Point. Early 70s... not very well-known. It's a favourite of mine... my Dad loves it, too. :big_grin: Naked chicks on motorbikes... hippies... blind radio DJs... gotta love it, guys. Tasteful stuff.

Let's not forget all those early Linda Blair tele-movies.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I haven't seen Bad Taste yet, but I've seen most of the ones you've mentioned- they're awesome! =D However, I haven't seen The Man Who Fell To Earth (darn!), but I love the randomness of Help!. Magical Mystery Tour's good too!

Forgot to mention The Wall, too. Not the most uplifting movie, but if you're into the music and stuff it's pretty awesome. Though you might have to be, like, stoned or something to get a /real/ kick out of it, lol. :stick_out_tongue:

Also love Vanishing Point. Early 70s... not very well-known. It's a favourite of mine... my Dad loves it, too. :big_grin: Naked chicks on motorbikes... hippies... blind radio DJs... gotta love it, guys. Tasteful stuff.

Let's not forget all those early Linda Blair tele-movies.
Like I said, I want to see The Man Who Fell To Earth, but it's R so I might have trouble getting it. Same with Bad Taste. Bad taste was hilarious though. I want to see The Wall, but has anyone here done "Dark Side of The Rainbow"? I saw half of it on my friend's iPod, and it is just freaky.