So Bad They're Good: Cult Films

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Hey all!

Well, I was reading in one of the numerous Meet the Feebles topics in the puppetry section, and, being a cult film itself, gave rise to this question: What other cult films do you like/know of/ can't stand/ don't care about? :wink:

It kind of just seemed we needed a thread on these, since it seems cult films are something of a 'hot topic' around here. :stick_out_tongue:

My observation on cult films?

I find, in many occurrences, that a lot of these cult films tend to be of an 'NC-17' or 'X' rating (due to the obvious content) but yet these in particular seem to catch on with a certain group of people more so than other films (which would seem more appropriate to start a following for).

And, of course, many of these (particularly older) cult films are spoofed and homaged to in the science spoof Mystery Science Theater 3000, where such characters as Tom Servo and Crow mercilessly rip them apart ("The Hands of Fate", need I say any more?) :wink:

Lastly, I just felt the need to express that while some of these cult films are rather raunchy, we should always be sure not to post anything any more graphic than we do in any other thread: let's keep it good and PG in here. :-D

AM

Maestro

Reaction score
Let's not forget about UHF, Weird Al Yankovic's excuse to make bad movie and TV parodies. I love that movie! :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Cult and camp go hand-in-hand with me so here are some of I have thought of:
(off the top of my head, not all are personal faves)

Mommy Dearest 1981 PG ($19M US Box Office) - Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford - she leaves this infamous role off her resume. :eek:

Who's That Girl 1987 ($7M US Box Office) - Madonna as a deranged Betty Boop-like character in this kitschy film that was rushed into production.

Showgirls 1995 NC-17 ($20M US Box Office) - Campy stripper with a heart of gold story that takes itself too seriously, directed by Paul Verhoven.

Donnie Darko 2001 R (under $1M US Box Office) - Jake Gyllenhaal in a psychedelic urban tale featuring a creepy bunny guy.

Fritz The Cat 1972 X ($25M US Box Office) - Controversial Ralph Bakshi animated film that hit nearly $100M worldwide. :shifty:

Brazil 1985 R ($10M US Box Office) - Directed by Terry Gilliam - need I say more?

Vibes 1988 PG ($2M US Box Office) - Cindy Lauper as psychic with Jeff Goldblum and Peter Falk. :flirt:

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Let's not forget about UHF, Weird Al Yankovic's excuse to make bad movie and TV parodies. I love that movie! :smile:
Same here, brotha! Loved the Conan the Librarian part, lol.

Would anyone here consider the movie It by Stephen King to be a cult film? I know that it certainly has a following (however, I'm not part of it...It's a little too creepy, lol) but I think it could just be weird enough, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget Toxic Avenger. The only independantly produced adult cult film that got spun off to a children's cartoon series.

Good Monster

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with cult movies either...

I think these are too mainstream to be real cult movies, but I've always enjoyed "The Princess Bride" and Mel Brooks films (especially "History of the World")...And a couple Monty Python films like "Holy Grail".

Xerus

Reaction score
I really liked Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Return of the Killer Tomatoes because they joked that they were low budget with very few actors playing 5 or 10 parts plus the director was playing 5 characters too.

And I liked the Killer Tomatoes cartoon the best and how they joke that it was a low budget cartoon as well. And the characters kept breaking the fourth wall knowing that they were all in a TV show.

Teheheman

Reaction score
3 words when it comes to Cult films: Howard the Duck

Daniel

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Midnight Madness

Animal House

Hocus Pocus

Clue

Johnny Dangerously

History of the World-Part 1

Heman-Masters of the Universe

Grindhouse

Desperado

Little Nicky

The 40 Year Old Virgin

Get Smart

Bewitched

Dogma

*I agree with: Howard the Duck, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, David Lynch & John Waters movies and the Evil Dead series.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
What about Killer Klowns from Outer Space? I dunno if its a cult film, but it certanly is bad and my dad absolutly loves it...

It was kinda disturbing though