Muppet Show Season 4 coming in 2013

ekim flow

Reaction score
When will TMS Season 4 be released?

has anybody heard of when they might be releasing the next season of the muppet show?i think that it's 4th or 5th season that was due to be put out?:sympathy:

ploobis

Reaction score
Well since The Muppets won the Webby Awards for Bohemian Rhapsody, Maybe Disney will hopefully release season 4 of TMS soon. :wink:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The Jim Henson Hour as we know it is an impossibility. And the segments outside the "Muppet Central" stuff belong to Henson, who's releasing those segments via Lionsgate. So, if anything, we'll get the segments without the Muppet Show Muppets.
Could Disney not release the "Muppet Central" segments by themselves on a DVD set? I'd be happy with that, as most all the other segments of The Jim Henson Hour are getting released through Lionsgate anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Theoretically yes, but it would be SO chopped up, would anyone really want it? They'd have to cut a LOT of footage out to sever the link between the two shows, and it would be just a mess, and unwatchable. Like ever accidentally tape something near the end of a tape, and it cuts off the ending, and you somehow forget when you watch it years later? Sort of like that. I'm sure it could be done if you select certain ones... but all and all, it would just feel uneven.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Theoretically yes, but it would be SO chopped up, would anyone really want it? They'd have to cut a LOT of footage out to sever the link between the two shows, and it would be just a mess, and unwatchable. Like ever accidentally tape something near the end of a tape, and it cuts off the ending, and you somehow forget when you watch it years later? Sort of like that. I'm sure it could be done if you select certain ones... but all and all, it would just feel uneven.
Yeah, a lot would be gone.

-The Opening Credits (that includes the Jim Henson name and various characters)

-The Jim Henson Intro

-Anything that calls to the second half of the episode unless it's another Muppet segment

-The second segment (unless it's Muppets)

I'm certain they can create a Muppet Central Show title card and edit out many portions, but that's a great amount of time and effort that will have to go through legal for what would be a small release when they're still having trouble trying to release the Muppet Show DVDs.

I'm glad that Cloud Forest, Dog City and the Storyteller tales have been brought to home video. Those are the best non-Muppet segments of the Henson Hour.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of that stuff wouldn't have to be cut. The opening and Muppet Central portions of The Jim Henson Hour aired as a half-hour show called "The Jim Henson Show" in Canada a few years ago and while not ideal it would be much better seeing these segments released as "The Jim Henson Show" than as nothing at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of that stuff wouldn't have to be cut. The opening and Muppet Central portions of The Jim Henson Hour aired as a half-hour show called "The Jim Henson Show" in Canada a few years ago and while not ideal it would be much better seeing these segments released as "The Jim Henson Show" than as nothing at all.
What he said! The only thing I can see being cut if it's just the half-hour segments is the mention and clips from the second half hour. For the most part those are the only instances when the second half hour was mentioned in the first half hour (the only exception being Miss Piggy's Hollywood being mentioned in another episode, but even then it doesn't have to be followed by Miss Piggy's Hollywood; In that scene Miss Piggy's hair is different and she gives the impression that she is filming it at the time, plus the fact that it doesn't seem to be as great as the actual special turns out to be).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It has been my understanding that broadcast standards pertaining to likeness and music are much more open than the home video market. Hence many of the problems Disney has had with releasing the Muppet Show DVDs intact while the Disney Channel could broadcast the programs in full if they wanted.

The Henson Hour was always difficult to air due to the length. This makes me believe this Canadian edit just wanted a leaner Muppet Show type program instead of it being merely a rights issue. I could be completely wrong about that.

Making money from Jim Henson's image is a big deal. That usually has to go through his foundation and not the company itself. For a Disney release to do so would require at least some wrangling, but it does appear that all the parties are playing nice now. I think Disney would be missing an opportunity if they didn't try to be inclusive this year, 20 years since Jim Henson left us. :sympathy:

Still, it appears that top priority is going to the TMS releases followed my MT. I think it would be cool if all the parties got together with Amazon and evenly split profits for an on demand DVD burning of the entire Jim Henson Hour with a percentage to go to his Foundation. But that's my kind of wishful thinking. There's no overhead and fans could get exactly what we want. I think this should be done with more hard to market Muppety titles. :smile: