Sesame Street at the Daytime Emmy Awards

dwmckim

Reaction score
If you enjoyed my version of the article that appeared on Mindset, you may want to check out a special "extended" version of it that i put up on Muppet Freak http://muppetfreak.blogstream.com - besides being a summary of the evening's Sesame content, there's an even deeper analysis of how changes in the overall landscape of daytime programming have forced changes in the Daytime Emmy ceremony, how this year's broadcast on the CW Network was an essential attempt to demonstrate how a television broadcast is still relevant, controversies surrounding the awards' nominations and judging (and why a new rule is biased towards a Kevin Clash win in the Children's Performer category) plus some neat random Muppet/Henson connections with daytime serials trivia bits!

The blog itself is still officially on hiatus though i'm hopeful that will change in the next month or two, but i thought fans should have a place to check out the "bonus" content of the full article.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No wonder no one told me why they don't know who won the kid's show awards... I can't find them myself!

Oh wait: Here's some...

Sesame Street lost to Between the Lions. An oddity, since I didn't think they made any new episodes of late. But yay to them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any time left for Sesame Workshop to obtain clearances to include the Sesame Street portions of the ceremony for the upcoming 40th anniversary DVD, right?

That timeline was great, though I wish that the 2000s was treated equally with the other decades, not more. It's weird that a clip from Henson #9 was included among the 1970s clips, as opposed to 1969.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Man, nobody's said anything anywhere about how cool Leslie Carrara's dress was.

It was really cool. I am absolutely going to wear something like it to prom.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Ergh, I can't believe where I have been the last few days, and missing this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any time left for Sesame Workshop to obtain clearances to include the Sesame Street portions of the ceremony for the upcoming 40th anniversary DVD, right?
I don't think they would. I'm guessing they already have everything hammered out for the DVD release, and it's been ready for printing (Coding?) for a while now. I would doubt that it would be on there... but you never know.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
I've finally seen it on Youtube, and can't speak highly enough of the tribute.

What really irked me, though, was the director's need to do numerous cutaways of Bindi Irwin grinning stupidly. As an Australian, I find it really embarrassing that this overexposed little brat is given this "symbol of anything related to childhood/animals/Australia" status, and it really didn't help that such a fine tribute to possibly television's greatest creation was peppered with these shots.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Maybe it might help if those shots were put in context then...Bindi was the only person not from Sesame Street that was nominated for the Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series Award. The granted overly frequent cutaways to her was no doubt the director's way of not only "illustrating the effect Sesame has on children as well as their love for the show" but also showing that she was not only a gracious loser but generally loved the people she lost to.