Sesame Street at the Daytime Emmy Awards

Drtooth

Reaction score
Caroll greatly deserved that award in 2006. Despite the limited amount of time he had, he was able to give a fantastic thank you speech and got what is probably one of the highest honors in the media to this very day. Both he and the show itself deserve that kind of recognition.
I really think it was a great achievement, and it was great he got that award... but it seemed that the Emmy producers didn't think that was half as important as talking to every single soap star about their favorite brand of commercial advertised project or whatever. The whole production was a circus that year. No wonder they dumped it on the CW.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I just watched the youtube video and I was tearing up the entire time. It was very very cute and I loved how the audience stood the whole time, sang along, and loved every minute of it. I do admit I wished Grover and Bert and Ernie would have been there but I still thought it was a very nice tribute.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So... this time they ACTUALLY gave them a great, well deserved tribute... unlike what Carol got... like a 1 minute bunch of clips from the technical ghetto Emmys they use for Children's Programming (which isn't as important as Judge Judy... why that thing's been on nigh 10 years... what an achievement :rolleyes: )
Heh, I agree, I don't think her little show has contributed much to society. :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'm working on a review/analysis of the 36th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards for The Muppet Mindset. For those who can't wait for it to come out to check off how well Henson/Sesame did this year in terms of the awards, here's a rundown...

Sid the Science Kid did not win either of the two awards it was up for (Outstanding Children's Animated Program and Outstanding Achievement In Main Title and Graphic Design)

As we all know, Sesame Street was honored with a Lifetime Achievement award (as is this award's nature, there was no competitors running against them)

Sesame Street was nominated for, but did not win:
-Outstanding Pre-School Children's series
-Outstanding Original Song - Children's and Animation (three songs were in the running: "Elmo's Ducks", "I Don't Wanna Be a Prince" and "The Addition Expedition")
-Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction
-Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition
-Outstanding Achievement in Technical Direction/Electronic Camera/Video
-Outstanding Writing in a Children's Series

Sesame added trophies to their mantle (assuming Cookie didn't eat them first) for:
-Outstanding Directing in a Children's Series
-Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design/Styling
-New Approaches - Daytime Children's Entertainment
-Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series: Kevin Clash (also nominated were Leslie Carrera-Rudolph, Chris Knowings, and Martin P. Robinson)

Also just to clarify a point raised in this thread, the Daytime Emmys were not "dumped on" CW. The CW Network jumped in to rescue the awards ceremony when it looked like they were going to lose out on a television broadcast this year. For those who believe that the ceremony should be allowed the dignity of a television airing, they should be thanking CW for stepping up to the plate (this was literally a "last-minute" save hence the two month delay from its usual June airing) While ratings were lower than last year's, it was a personal ratings success for CW and ABC has expressed interest in picking up next year's ceremony - though CW is given first chance at approval.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
As the Count, :batty:, would say....That's 2...2 eaten awards that Cookie has eaten. Ah, ah, ah!

Thunder comes in along with the lighting.

Something tells me we better update Cookie's Wiki entery. :insatiable:

unclematt

Reaction score
I thought the overall presentation was very well done. I would just have liked to have seen some more Muppets. Especially Bert and Ernie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sesame Street was nominated for, but did not win:
-Outstanding Pre-School Children's series
-Outstanding Original Song - Children's and Animation (three songs were in the running: "Elmo's Ducks", "I Don't Wanna Be a Prince" and "The Addition Expedition")
-Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction
-Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition
-Outstanding Achievement in Technical Direction/Electronic Camera/Video
-Outstanding Writing in a Children's Series
What did win, out of curiosity?

Also just to clarify a point raised in this thread, the Daytime Emmys were not "dumped on" CW. The CW Network jumped in to rescue the awards ceremony when it looked like they were going to lose out on a television broadcast this year. For those who believe that the ceremony should be allowed the dignity of a television airing, they should be thanking CW for stepping up to the plate (this was literally a "last-minute" save hence the two month delay from its usual June airing) While ratings were lower than last year's, it was a personal ratings success for CW and ABC has expressed interest in picking up next year's ceremony - though CW is given first chance at approval.

That's pretty... odd to hear. I don't understand why they put it in the middle of mid-season replacements when no one's really watching. No wonder they had to make it a circus that year I've complained about.

zns

Reaction score
I just watched the youtube video and I was tearing up the entire time. It was very very cute and I loved how the audience stood the whole time, sang along, and loved every minute of it. I do admit I wished Grover and Bert and Ernie would have been there but I still thought it was a very nice tribute.
With that kind of response, it is quite obvious that Sesame Street is going to be around for a very long well. Maybe not forever, but it will most likely be there for the next generation of kids and parents. :smile: