1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

¡Viva la Puntuación!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by theprawncracker, May 1, 2008.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I agree with Prawnie's agreeing with me! It's just natural (to me) to use three exclaimation points for emphasis.

Sure, one gives the sentence a gramatical kick up the gramatical heiney, but three gives it the Enthusistic WHOOMP! that Muppet Central parties are so loved for providing.
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I agree with all of it, but then again I like to be agreeable. ;)

(Now wondering if there should be a filter on the word agree? ! :concern: )
  3. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Yeah... putting a block on excessive punctuation isn't only communicatively stunting, it ruins the fun for everyone who doesn't abuse the privilege.

So, I love this thread. Go excessive punctuation! (insert 3 !'s here) And while we're at it, I should just start throwing in random french accents to mess with people. It's a political çhoicé!
  4. Beauregard

Go Pepper! If we can get a Rizzo smilie, there no hill we cannot climb!

*breaks into song*
  5. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Tis called "Ellipses," though... possibly not spelled that way. :coy:

And I want multiple exclamation marks! I realize this probably falls in the "excessive use" category, but I sincerely miss typing exactly eighteen exclamation marks after my "MORE PLEASE" when nagging for more fanfiction. But it was always eighteen, no more than that, for the same reason that I have eighteen tilda's between scenes in fanfiction and, when emotions are running high, give eighteen hugs! (...Perhaps I should clarify that in Hebrew numerology, eighteen symbolizes life, and therefore I like to overuse the number eighteen...)
  6. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

*sings along to the TMS theme*

I miss my punctuation,
    I ask where did it go?
    I like to be excessive
    with my question marks, you know? ? ?

Don't forget exclamations,
    which I also adore,
    I think my life without them
    has become an awful bore! ! !
  7. Beauregard

*takes up chant*

I miss my punctuation,
    I ask where did it go?
    I like to be excessive
    with my question marks, you know? ? ?

Don't forget exclamations,
    which I also adore,
    I think my life without them
    has become an awful bore! ! !
  8. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

:smirk: If you're upsot aboot the fact that this was brought on by people abusing the multiple punctuations... Take it up with and blame the people who abused them in the first place. Poor punctuation marks, what did they ever do to anybody?
    Snowth, they are indeed called an ellipsis or ellipses in plural form
    Prawn, no, when you type punctuation marks by themselves, people or screenreaders do not read them as such.
    *Whacks Prawn, the Henchie Fraggle of this whole thing with my question mark cane.
    Besides... You're taking Spanish and you couldn't get the title correctly spelled? Points off for not accentuating your vowels. Summer school for the prawn.*Evil laugh. Now settle down and get back to whatever it is you weirdos do all night long.

Count down.
  9. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how punctuation can be abused... I don't think it was such a big problem in the first place that we needed limits.

I'm not usually a multiple-punctuation-mark kinda guy, but every now and then, I do feel the need to agree with someone strongly enough to use three or even *gasp* four !s. So count me in! This revolution is +1!
  10. Beauregard

It used be abused by people who would, for example, fill an entire post with Exclaimation marks or in angry slams...I miss them trio though.
  11. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That's how. :)

Anyway, I remember being one of the people that abused the privilege of punctuation. Never to be hurtful with them, merely for comedic effect with a certain wooden clipboard that shall continue to remain anonymous.
  12. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

*cough* Um, I think maybe your example isn't helping our case, Super Scooter. ><
  13. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I agree. I think it is time to bind Super Scooter with a few [s and ]s, gag him with @s and beat him with !s while throwing *s at his head until we get our triple-?s back. :D

(just teasin' ya, pal!)

Anywhoo...

I still can't see how extra punctuation marks ever got to be such an epidemic that they had to be completely banned, even if some over-zealous posters (who shall remain *ahem* nameless) went a little crazy from time to time.
  14. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Well, I'm actually kind of against the multiple punctuation now. I kinda see how it can be annoying.

But, "que sera, sera." I'm cool with whatever.
  15. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I, too, think it can be annoying (I am an senior English major in college, so I can be pretty hard-nosed about punctuation), but think it is going a little overboard to prohibit them on an online forum.
  16. Beauregard

I seem to recall that clipboard later turned rotten and collapses...Poor thing...
  17. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Who's Sera? :p

What do we want? Allowance for the use of multiple punctuation marks! When do we want it? Whenever we can get it!

...I think we need a new strike writer. (No, NOT writer's strike.)
  18. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

<Bump>

I was recently looking at old fanfic threads and noticed a time when I was SO stunned by what had happened in the chapter that I was entirely inarticulate and, desperate for SOME means of communication, I began my post with nothing but punctuation: a line of periods, followed by a line of exclamation marks. Some were underlined, some bold, some italicized, some bright red... It was really a very profound statement, all things considered, and I DID follow it with real words. But it wouldn't be possible to make that post today, because of the punctuation restrictions... and that saddens me.
  19. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Sometimes a ! just works better than words.
  20. Beauregard

! ! !

EDIT: True...