2 Waves Of Muppet Fans

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Manda:-D
I'm in Wave 3, I guess, but some of us Wave 3-ers were also raised on those reruns of TMS on Nickelodeon....And when Nick would show old Muppet specials on "Special Delivery". And Disney reran Fraggle Rock and Secret Life of Toys at one point....Though I don't remember exactly when.
I'd agree with that. I'm in group three too I think. I was probably initially introduced to the Muppets through Sesame Street and the Muppet Babies and Fraggle Rock and then I got TMS on Odessey and specials on Nick and Disney. I never got to see any of JHH though so hopefully someday I can!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Wave one all the way. I actually enjoyed The Muppet Show much more than Sesame Street as a young kid (though I enjoyed both shows). That could explain my poor spelling.

It's strange to me to see all these wave 2 and 3ers so passionate about the Muppets. They are usually much better about trivia too.

Geez, I feel old. :sleep: :sympathy:
When I was younger, I sooooooooo badly wished I had The Muppet Show. We had very poor quality cable, and Nickelodeon only came in ocassionaly, so I stuck with Sesame Street or had a friend of my sister's tape it.

I never paid attention to the spelling stuff of Sesame Street. Just the Muppets.

Not all us in wave 2 and 3 are less passionate about the Muppets in any way. Some of us, as you said, even more-so. You have to think, waves 2 and 3 grew up in a world of very little Muppet stuff, and the only stuff on was Sesame Street and renting Muppet movies and compilation tapes. We get desperate to know more, so when the internet is created, we search for everything Muppets. I still haven't seen more than fifteen, maybe twenty episodes of TMS.

Oh, no! Now I really know how you feel! I remember a time before the internet! :sleep: :boo:

*sigh*

:wink:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I don't classify myself by what "wave" I'm in. I'm just a Muppet fan, regardless of when I was first introduced to them.

-Kim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's more of a generational gap than a strict classification. Kids born in the 70s are wave 1, early-mid 80s are wave 2 and beyond that are wave 3ers. It's not really a judgement. It basically just shows how we look at the Muppets. If you grew up on Steve's Kermit, you would have a much different impression of the character than someone like me who grew up on Jim's version. The 80s crowd seems to be really into the Muppet Babies too. Anyway, that's how I see this thread. It just tells where you're coming from - not a jugement of your fanhood. :wink:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i grew up without muppet babies much..........darn no cable TV sometimes i saw it at my grandparents, though!.........i watched sesame street religiously.......then my next memories is my dad renting the muppet movie...I WAS HOOKED! i had to go to the movie store about 3 times that week to make sure I rented everything there that said the word muppet on it! then i just umm....well actually i was one disappointed kid when dad told me that there were no more movies to watch.....then dad proceded to tell me that jim henson had died 2 years ago ....my dad did not think i would take it as hard as I did....i was all mopey for a week...i remember him telling mom he didn't think I would even remember the next day...much less mourn on the next day.

so i guess i wasn't really raised on it. it was my own liking.

Sarah

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I remember the first time I saw The Muppet Movie. I was staying over night at my grandparents house, and we rented it. I remember dancing around to "Can you Picture That" and wondering how in the world they do it! How can they get those puppets into the TV like that???

I was a confused child. I just remember being in awe of the whole experience.

Joggy

Reaction score
Definitely wave 3. Grew up with SS, FR, Muppet Babies, and Muppet Show reruns. And I didn't see the Muppet Movie till I was twelve. Which is highly embarrassing.
:smirk:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

So I might split that into 4 groups:

I. The Old School (pre 1976)
II. The Muppet Theatre (1976-1983)
III. The Rock & The Nursery (1983-1992)
IV. The Frog Lives (1992-Present)

Hopefully we'll see a fifth age that starts with the Renaissance that a new Muppet Show may bring. Maybe. Hopefully.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn
VI. Those who were penguined!!

In other words posioned by penguins and draged over and dumped.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i am a wave 3 by definition...but i think i am a wave four because of one thing....we never had cable:eek: so i never got to see all the shows that would put me in a category...so due to a technical error i think i am a four

Sarah

where's the BBB wave?:flirt:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
If I've got the date correct, that'd be somewhere between waves III and IV as that was, I think, when Bill joined the Muppets. I think anyway.

No, actually, I don't think.

HA! Beat you to it!

:wink: