80's and 90's RULE!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Ooor..Things you loved as a kid that you still love in just the same way and don't get why people only see the bad in or denounce them.
Power Rangers...Yes I still like Power Rangers. As cheesy as the show is starting with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I still enjoyed the show, the spin-offs, and the 1995 movie. It's morphin time!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Power Rangers... that's a show I kinda sorta liked when it first came out... then I lost interest... then I learned to outright HATE the heck out of it (more on that later), now I have to admit... it has a LARGER than you think adult fan base that's very respectable. And seeing that Disney completely lost interest in it (someone said Saban actually bought the rights back), I actually feel quite sorry for it.

Now, why the intense hatred, you ask? There was a time when they completely blanketed the Fox Kids Network with nothing but PR episodes. And none of the little cartoon series could really thrive and survive. Which is a shame, because we had a LOT of great shows on the Fox Kids network. Eek! the Cat, Sam and Max, The Tick, Oggy and the Cockroaches, Space Goofs, Ripping Friends (which had so much wasted potential being canceled so early, I think)... Taz-Mania... the list goes on. Some of those shows had respectable runs... others were cut too soon. The Tick was screaming for a fourth season. One of my favorite super hero parody shows. But it was like every other week they stopped airing one of them for an hour long Power Rangers block, and a block of shows Saban bought and localized to basically Scooby-Doo it's own Power Rangers show.

Scooby-Doo (V) to preemptively create clones of your most successful show before any other production company can, making 100% of the money possible that would otherwise be lost on cheap knockoffs.

Not to mention their pathetic attempt to cash in off Pokemon with Digimon and really bad dubs of other series (Escaflowne was considered one of the show killingest kiddy dubs around). And I don;t want the "Which came first? Digimon or Pokemon" debate. Saban clearly dubbed it only to cash in off of Pokemon. I personally dislike both of them, and as I said, I like fighting anime series where the characters fight each other... Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star and like that...

You have to admit, there were a LOT of great cartoons coming out of Fox Kid's station at that time. And don't start with the "4kids ruined it" stuff, because that was just about the time of the Fox sale of the Family Channel to Disney... which left them owning EVERYTHING Saban ever did. Even a stake in Gadget and the Gadgetinis (which is actually a pretty good series).

Redsonga

Reaction score
Power Rangers...Yes I still like Power Rangers. As cheesy as the show is starting with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I still enjoyed the show, the spin-offs, and the 1995 movie. It's morphin time!
I really like the first generation and Mystic Force, the japanese version :3

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I agree that the Pokemon craze ruined anything the mid to late 90's were trying to accomplish, or lack there of. I never really saw what kids liked about Pokemon and all of the other junk that came from Japan during that time.

At first when I watched the first episode of Power Rangers way back in 93, I laughed at the show because it was horrible. (Keep in mind I was 11). Someone was dubbing in the lady who was playing Rita Repulsa, and I thought this was like those Godzilla movies.

But the show got better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. Real Japanese cartoons and animations are the way to go. We just got such terrible shows during that period, mostly Pokemon knockoffs. But we also got Samurai Pizza Cats, which is arguably the best dub of an anime ever! Too bad we wound up getting it like 5 years late. And not even after the initial Japanese broadcast. Saban scooped up the rights and dubbed the series around 91 or 92, but they never sold it until 1996. There was an obscure "movie" that was the first 2 and last 2 episodes smushed together (the oldest trick in the anime dubbing book). That's why there are so many TMNT references in the dub... they kinda brought it over to cash in of them, but wound up making it a parody of their own Power Rangers shows.

I wish it got more popular than it did. Europe actually had SPC toys with the dub names on them. There was some Japanese stuff, but due to the fact it's a relatively obscure series over there, the merchandise is almost impossible to find. I managed to get 4 M.U.S.C.L.E. style beauties at a comic book store... a Polly, a Guido and 2 Ninja Crows.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I never got into the Pizza Cats cartoon, though I did catch the last few minutes of the show in the 6:30 time slot when I was a kid getting ready for school. I believe the show after that was Mighty Max, with lead vocal actor Rob Paulsen doing Max's voice. Pretty good early 90's cartoon.

I'm not into the whole anime cartoon phase though, but am aware several cartoon shows I enjoyed as a kid (that I still do now) were done in animation departments in Japan, one show being The Real Ghostbusters. Of course, The Real Ghostbusters got ruined when they made Slimer the main character and dumbed down the series to grab more kids and let it become more kid friendly. Eh....I hate when studio heads screw with things.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't think I'd ever be either... but here I am. problem is, as I said, the best stuff they keep to themselves. There is something for everyone... but you just have to be willing to look. It's a lot more expansive than you'd think with what they dub in the states.

But really... someone's gotta do Dr. Slump. That's one that I think has the broadest appeal and the lest amount of cultural in jokes.