80's and 90's RULE!

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The Neverending Story
Yes, very great movie. :big_grin: I just saw it for the first time a few months ago, and now I really want to go read the novel sometime in the near future. Fantasy films, for the win! :scary:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yes, very great movie. :big_grin: I just saw it for the first time a few months ago, and now I really want to go read the novel sometime in the near future. Fantasy films, for the win! :scary:
It's very very chopped up from the book but I don't think a movie has to be the book it's based on to still have a magical feeling :excited:
It is one of those 'only in the 80's' sort of movies I think, in that movies don't seem to focus on magic and fairy tales in that same sort of wispful tone anymore...

Yorick

Reaction score
my TV viewing favorites usually range from the '40s-'80s and get rather select in the '90s and 2000s. The same is somewhat true for music, though for me I listen to a lot of Christian rock mainly- and I do like many older bands, but I also keep up with a number of newer ones too- in that area, there's still lots of good new music being made. (Though if we're talking secular bands in general, while I'm still pretty select, it's definitely older bands from the '60s-'80s and some of the '90s, for the most part.)
Thankfully, there's been some good movies throughout the last century and up through today (most of recent of which I've seen was "Toy Story 3"- that was incredible and I think I can truly literally use this word here- totally EPIC!).
But having grown up in the '80s, yes, I must say I'm a child of the 1980s and in general, the '80s ROCK!:smile::big_grin:
Very cool to read! You may have seen in the "Nickelodeon Petition" thread that I'm alone on the whole "80's is best!" thing - but there is some common ground.

Anyway, I agree with you on the eras, and I was going to ask you if Christian rock had better and worse eras as well - though from what I heard on a TV ad for a CD, it seems that the production style mirrors top 40, in that it's very slick now like current top 40 "rock". (I put rock in quotes because I think music today lacks soul - and to really rock, you need to have soul, for me.)
And YES, epic is indeed fitting for Toy Story 3! :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Very cool to read! You may have seen in the "Nickelodeon Petition" thread that I'm alone on the whole "80's is best!" thing :stick_out_tongue: But there is some common ground.

Anyway, I agree with you on the eras, and I was going to ask you if Christian rock had better and worse eras as well - though from what I heard on a TV ad for a CD, it seems that the production style mirrors top 40, in that it's very slick now like current top 40 "rock". (I put rock in quotes because I think music today lacks soul - and to really rock, you need to have soul, for me.)
And YES, epic is indeed fitting for Toy Story 3! : )
I back you up, I was just born in '83 so my memories of the actual 80's besides the things that came from them, are a little fuzzy if they weren't put in reruns :smile:. I love love love Punky Brewster, My Little Pony, the Smurfs, G.I. Joe, and the live action Ramona series to name a few :smile:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I loved the live action parts of the Super Show. I actually would get mad at the cartoon for leaving them at a cliffhanger before it would come back on:smile:. I loved the cartoon when it was made into a coloring book even more...
I wish Nintendo wasn't so snotty about the cartoon versions of their shows. Sega... now Sega embraced them. We had a lot of merchandise that either featured Sonic SATAM characters OR AOSTH Robotnik. They even had an Australian theme park that had a LOT of AOSTH Robotnik and SatAm Sally products. They even made games with those characters in them... Sonic Spinball and Mean Bean Machine. Nintendo absolutely refused to have the Super Show version of Koopa on any merchandise. And It's a shame, because I actually prefer that version in every way. Plus, deep down, I really think Mario and Luigi need Brooklyn Italian accents... not full on Italian accents. I've grown to like Charles Manet (SP?) after seeing the clearly improvised clowning of Mario Teaches Typing, but to me, Cap'n Lou and Danny Wells were ALWAYS Mario and Luigi. Even when they had to change the voices of both for Mario 3 and Mario World. I always hated the whiny voice they gave Luigi in those things.

Redsonga

Reaction score
To me Luigi was the level headed sweet heart, not frightened all the time :smile:. Actually with the way he could jump he had less to worry about than Mario IMHO :smile:

CountFan1998

Reaction score
Yes, Jim Cummings does indeed rule. It was scientifically proven, I think. Rob Paulsen too.

I can't really say if the 80's music was the best thing ever... it was Weird Al's greatest era, but I'll be darned if any Mad Science geek like me doesn't love "Weird Science" or "She Blinded me with Science." And Thriller. Thriller was one of the best things the gloved one ever did. Right up there with Beat it and Bad.
Yes, Cummings and Paulsen are THE BEST voice actors of our time. Mel Blanc joins them in THE BEST voice actors EVAH (not ever, evAH, get it, dudes?)!:big_grin:.

I LOVE Thomas Dolby. I mean his MUSIC, besides I'm a dude, and without further explanation, you could be creeped out.:eek:

That guy is a musical GENIUS. Have you seen him recently? The technology is def. amp'd up. Dolby plays a short melody on a 'control panel' of sorts twice, and then it loops FOR him. How AWESOME is THAT?:crazy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone ever notice there are several different ways to feel about shows and movies that were around when you were a kid?

• ones you grew up with and treasure no matter how wonky they seem as an adult
  • Stuff you loved as a kid you completely grew out of and now denounce
  • things that you actually appreciate more as an adult, whether you've always seen them or just discovered them now
  • or things that were around since you were a kid that you didn't see before, but can't really connect with because you're too old to appreciate it, and or you only see the things that aren't enjoyable about them.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ooor..Things you loved as a kid that you still love in just the same way and don't get why people only see the bad in or denounce them :wink:. Usually if I love it even more I grew up with it, and things I never saw I end up really liking because the core soul of the movie\show speaks to me in the tone of the time it was made :smile:...
It is the same reason the sound of anything 80's made on a keybroad makes me wistful...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ooor..Things you loved as a kid that you still love in just the same way and don't get why people only see the bad in or denounce them :wink:.
Technically that counts as the last one. But I stress a point that there are things that people like because they grew up with them, and would probably not see the same magic in it if they just saw it as adults.
Usually if I love it even more I grew up with it, and things I never saw I end up really liking because the core soul of the movie\show speaks to me in the tone of the time it was made
Tell yah the truth, the only things I really feel I permanently grew out of were Care Bears (Still love Beastly though. Anyone voiced by John Stocker is alright with me) , Rainbow Brite (which I loved when I was 4... those bright colors... and if she was as freaking sexy as they make her look now, I probably wouldn't have grew out of it :flirt: ) and Captain Planet... mainly because it's annoyingly over preachy and not half as fun as the other environmental series Toxic Crusaders.

Other than those, most of everything else I appreciate more as an adult. I don't think I ever really cared for the Transformers when I was younger, but I got to really watching a couple episodes and clips and I completely dig it. I mean, Megatron and the other Decepticons getting drunk off of energy and complaining about the old days and how they were better off without the ugly Earth disguises? Classic.

And don't get me started on Reboot. I feel like a total schmuck for not getting into that back in 1995 or whenever it premiered... then I saw that clip of Pantsu Hebi X... just the name alone killed me right there... (I don't think it's appropriate to translate it from Japanese... when you find out what it means, you'll absolutely die!) I hope the rumors of the complete series set are true. i have to see that RIGHT away.

Come to think of it, even though I didn't get into any Japanese programming until I was in High School, most of my favorite anime are from the 70's and 80's. And to think.... we almost GOT some of those in the 80's. Had things gone as planned, we would have had fond memories of Dragonball, Dr. Slump and Muteking... all shows that Harmony Gold tried to dub and distribute, but never sold. Kinnikuman, Yatterman... I mean, that was a great era. We had Leiji Matsumoto do some of his best work in the 70's and 80's. So you can see why Noozles kinda bugs me. Imagine if you saw THOSE on Nick. I believe we did get Captain Harlock in English somewhere in the early 80's... but it was cut with another Matsumoto series.

Yeah... the 80's was a weird time for that sort of thing... Mostly Japanese series were on because they were cheaper 9at the time) to produce than a regular cartoon series... some of them were cut into bad movies with long narration to link an entire series together in 70 minutes.