A Muppet Theater Playset Prototype?

WiGgY

Reaction score
Well, no but this is what it should look like.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/collectibles/muppetpics/rare_star_theater.jpg

This is actually some sort of cookie jar salt shaker set thing that I found in the collectables section. I think this is exactly what the muppet theater playset should look like! It would be pretty large but not too huge and with the addition of a real curtain and some card board back drops it would be perfect! It even has the pit!

WiGgY

Reaction score
One more thing, maybe Ken would have a better guess, but I would say a set like this would run like 50 bucks or so. This is just a wild guess based on the fact that the Chef Kitchen is like 30 and it has a truck load of stuff! The theater would just be big but wouldn't need many accessories at all since the figures them selfs supply the accessories.

WiGgY

Reaction score
um...anyone have any thoughts at all?

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
A thought

Hi, Wiggy. I was just looking at that thing in the collectibles section, thinking how great it would be to have that as a Palisades playset. Though to make it big enough to be in scale for the figures, I wouldn't be surprised if it went for more than $50. But I'd still pay it. :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
l I think it could be scaled down a little bit as far as height goes. I figure if it's mostly plastic and card board back drops the cost would be fairly low for the size. I was thinking a figure for the set would be Sweetums which would cost like 15 bucks carded and the rest is all set cost. When you think about the detail that went into the Kitchen and that the figure itself would have been like 8 bucks the set costs 22 bucks with all that stuff. 28 at most. So, there would be like 35 maybe 40 bucks to do the theater sets and it wouldn't have that much movable stuff, mostly molded plastic pieces. Of course al these figures are retail cause that's all I know :big_grin: I'd love to know what the possibility of a set like this is from Ken. I also wonder if my figures are anywhere near correct.

Also, You have to view the set withoutl that stuff. Like no seats in the balcony and no piano in the pit because Stater and Waldorf come with chairs and Rolf will have the piano. A set like this would also solve some space issues. For example you could get a lot of figures onto the stage which would clear up some figure clutter. I think something like this is totally doable.

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
It's probably doable but it's probably also not worth it.

Retailers are the devil, what with their "shelf space" policy...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Theater talk history

The theater has been discussed at length over the past couple years and Ken remarked that the theater (if made) would be huge.

The cost of the decorated walls, the movable curtains and sheer size (has to be high enough to accommodate the tallest playset) will cause the theater to be a high cost item (80+).

I don't think Palisades is interested in making a cheap scaled down version that wouldn't be functional with the playsets. That means it would be probably be in more limited production than the average playset and be 2-3 x the size of the average playset.

It was originally announced that Statler and Waldorf would come with the set. It was originally scheduled for a Christmas release, then was pushed to summer, then was pushed to an undetermined date. Statler and Waldorf became carded figures and it was decided that Sweetums would come with the set. A few months ago it was announced that Sweetums might come carded and the set would come with someone else.

It’s not about who comes with the set anymore, it's if and when the set is coming.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Darn.

What if the set were to come in pieces? Would that do anything to help cost or what not? I guess this has probably been covered though. I hope we get it

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A set coming in pieces wouldn't make much sense either. The theater is an all-or-nothing proposition. If it comes, it will be huge, elaborate, much more expensive than the other sets and in one piece. It would probably come with a figure, but not any pack-ins. It would be costly enough without them. Anyway, it won't be released anytime soon. The line has to gain momentum. It doesn't help that many of the fans aren't buying all the figures, but everyone has to do what's best for them. But for the first time in years, Muppet fans have a spectacular product and it's really up to us to help support it if we want these things.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, I'd rather shell out 80+ dollars for the Muppet Theater than get some cheesy, scaled-down, cardboard background thing. Besides, by that time I'll probably have a job and be able to shell out those 80 some-odd bucks for the thing.

With the money, it's deffenitly something I'd buy. I'm looking forward to it, if it comes out, and if I have the funds for it.

Really, as Frogboy says, having it come in pieces doesn't make sense. Chances are you'd end up spending MORE buying it piece by piece than you would just buying it.

Hey, Frogboy. Do you work at Palisades, or do they just let you hang out there during meetings and stuff? That'd be cool!