A Muppet Theater Playset Prototype?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the theater has been postponed, but not that they ever would make one that (at least some of) the sets couldn't fit into. That just wouldn't make sense. There are easy ways to cheat the size so that doesn't happen. In actuality, they could make it under 2 feet x 2 feet and still have enough stage area for the sets so far. Big, but not mamoth. I do remember him saying an orchestra pit was probably out. I kind of see that being a colector's club pack. Just a semi-circle base with possible "lifts" so it could lift and snap into the theater set.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Well I understand about the pit, but I think when the set is made it will definatly need a balcony. The balcony was just too big a part of the show to leave out. Plus Statler and Waldorf have their chairs so they need a place to put them. I wouldn't mind it if the orchestra pit was an exclusive or sorts. Maybe Lips or Nigel could come with it if either were made.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke

You must have been posting while I was. I think that proposal is dreadful. I have to be honest, I know that will help the price issue (some), but it won't win Palisades any acclaim. They'd probably lose face coming out with something like that. They've raised the bar so high, that producing a cheap set that doesn't even have a balcony would be considered more of a rip-off to collectors than if they hadn't made one at all. I think that would be a terrible idea, and the idea that would still come under 40 dollars isn't realistic from what I have gathered. I'd still buy the thing, but I'm sure a lot of hard core fans would pass out of contempt. They've been passing on some of the figures already because of weird technical issues. I don't see that as a viable option.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I know ken said something about a smaller stage that would not fit the playsets if not some of them. i would lovea big stage that could fit the playsets, it would need a blacony, i guess you could just have the one on the right side (from the aud) But i would go for two blaconys, because when i was younger i always thought s & w were on the other blaconly due to the camera angles, i know some others have thought this too.

i guess it could have no back but large back drops to fit the back like a brick wall one or others so if you didn't have a playset in there it could still have a back.

I ponder about a backstage set, i would love one, but the upstairs would have doors going nowhere and would have to be large if you wanted fozzie to fit threw. maybe if there was a little bit of floor on the otherside with a wall on the left side and some stickers(like vacation fozzie) of the muppets you could put up jut like how the dressing room has photos of the muppets in it, you could put miss piggys vanity in there too and super scooters latter would be a neat prop for the backstage to use, as where the latter was used and is from;-)

maybe a backstage could come with a new kermit figure that could have a new sculpt and new items like a banjo. kermit would be best for some playset and either back stage or stage would work perfect plus it would be a long way away from series 1 kermit anways.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think a Kermit figure should come with the stage set because he could fit through the muppet logo. I'm not sure what a back stage set would come with though.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here's a rough sketch that I made. It shows 3 different sets. There's one deluxe theater set, a regular-sized backstage with snap-on facade upstairs and an irregular/regular-sized dressing room/prop booth. Each of them strategically click together. Breakdown:

The theater is full sized and deluxe. Could be a bit smaller than scale, but at least 20 inches tall. It snaps onto the Backstage. It could come with a regular Kermit with a magnetic straw hat and cane to be festive.

Backstage is actually a regular sized set with a seperate upstairs facade that you can snap in place. The doors open, but there wouldn't be much room inside. It would be relatively flat with a photographic dressingroom background inside. One average sized figure could fit in, but it's just enough to look authentic. Afterall, the real set was a facade as well. The real action happens in the far left dressingroom! Could come with Uncle Deadly to be interesting.

The Dressing room playest snaps onto the Backstage set. It connects to the far left door (the one against the left wall that Weezer exits from in their video). This can be cheated out to be Piggy's dressingroom. This set would be a tall set instead of a wide one. Pops prop arch would be underneath and flow beautifully with the backtage. Yes, there might be a little geography problem, but the Muppet Show wasn't always consistent on such points. The size, shape and simplicity of this set would make it easy for stores to display (long ways) while keeping it from being deluxe. It could come with Pops for downstairs and Foo Foo for upstairs.

CLICK HERE FOR ILLUSTRATION

beaker

Reaction score
I just wish Fisher Price had made a Muppet Theatre playset for the 1978 Muppet figure line...as the 3" Muppet figure line would be the only conceivable size to make such a mammoth playset for.

1) No way in heck should Palsiades have to try and make sure the playsets fit into the stage...thats just ridiculous. The playsets are looking to be of all shapes and sizes, and wouldnt make sense.

2) I envision the theatre playset to have a main part(the theatre curtain and stage, with a panel on each side that closes into itself(ie: the Statler/Waldorf area balconies) like any good ol 80's figure playset(heman, etc) ..with possibly a backstage area.
The problem is these figures are so large(like 5"+) that any theatre would be anightmare to draft and tool.

The theatre should IMHO be:

-------------------o.--------------------------------.o -----------------------
ooooooooooo. o.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.o.(((statler/waldorf)))
....................... o.#))xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(((((.o................................
~~~~~~~~~~o.#) )xxxxxxxxxxxxxx((((((.o~~~~~~~~~~~~
........................ o.#) )xxxxxxxxxxxxxx((((((.o...............................
........................ o.#) )xxxxxxxxxxxxxx((((((.o...............................
........................ o.#) ---------------------((((((.o...............................
------------------- o --------------------------------o------------------------

*edits* Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Darn you realignment templates! This was spose to be my mad 5 minute leet ACII graphic skillz illustration of my Muppet Theatre idea...ack...well, its 3am...you get the picture:wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What the heck is that?!! LOL I agree that the theater shouldn't have to fit every set, but it really should fit the average sized ones - especially key Muppet Show sets (Muppet Labs, EM, Kitchen and Vet's Hospital). If they came out with a large MTI ship set or something then it really wouln't matter. Heck, I'd buy the theater if it only fit Muppet Labs, but it should fit something other than cardboard cut-outs. Just not everything. Seeing how a Muppet Theater is probably coming out in a year or so (if at all), they'd be able to factor size into most of the sets.

gaffercat

Reaction score
as long as the theater could fit the band playset, i wouldnt mind, thats really the only playset i want on the stage with the others surrounding it on my shelves

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
The theater is full sized and deluxe.
Know i know it's been said before but does the deluxe mean it wouldn't be part of the line...hmm, to reword it, i mean if we could only get two more playsets after PIS, the theater would not cound as one of those two, so there could be three playset left, just the theater would be very large and cost more.

I like your idea Jamie, the far right dressing room is my favorite dressing room but it would need to be on stillts to be up that high on that side un less a small part of the floor was there and a wall to the left side as if you could enter. but the pops booth works good under the other dressing room to make it a full playset.