A Muppet Theater Playset Prototype?

WiGgY

Reaction score
No, I didn't mean have it come in pieces as separate sets. I meant have it come in need of some assembly. This would mean no clear plastic window though, but it would allow for the stacking of pieces in the box and make it easier to be on the shelf.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This info comes from the 2 years of threads on the old and new board. The figure talk didn't begin last fall. The Ask Ken threads have been going on for a very long time.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ah! The old less... packaging... trick. Right.

I didn't quite understand that at first. I think that might cut the cost a little, but I doubt if it'd do alot of cuts. Couple bucks maybe.

How 'bout it? Would that work?

WiGgY

Reaction score
Ok so then I'm just incredible late lol :big_grin:

Oh well, maybe I can track down that cookie jar thing. :big_grin:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Ah! The old less... packaging... trick. Right.

I didn't quite understand that at first. I think that might cut the cost a little, but I doubt if it'd do alot of cuts. Couple bucks maybe.

How 'bout it? Would that work?
Not only less packaging, but it takes a step out of production too. Then instead of an empty stage on the box that is seen through clear plastic, you see a picture of all the figures on stage. It's a nice trick companies play. "Hey look at all that stuff! What? Figures not included! Well I'll buy it anyway" :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
I thought that the last point we had got to with Ken on the Theatre was that the playsets definitely wouldn't fit on the stage (because of the dimensions of the Kitchen and PIS) anyway, and even at $80 for the huge one without this feature there was little chance of it happening and so they could make it as a deluxe playset (like Chef's) in the regular playset lineup. Then people complained and they announced they'd put it on the backburner to see how things go incase they could make a big one. I don't quite think they had completely no interest of making it as a playset in the regular line, at least not from whats been posted on the forum.

Personally i completely support just making it a nice deluxe playset - with the regular playsets so far not being all that popular and them having to make changes to their release because of the sheer cost even one of those takes to put into production we really have no chance of getting the giant one - even if Palisades made it they would need to manufacature a LOT of them to justify the sculpting/tooling costs and then they'd probably struggle to get orders from enough retailers so it's probably better to have a Muppet Theatre in some form than none at all. I don't see why it couldn't just clip onto a possible backstage set as a compromise with the fans to make it bigger and get the thing out. Look at what Ken's done with the Kitchen, i don't think anybodys going to be dissapointed once they see what he can do with a Muppet Theatre on a slightly larger scale.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think any incarnation of the stage is a good one. There is no reason for the stage set to be to scale. I would be happy with a stage sets that isn't to scale in height. Maybe even leave off the top of the stage some how. Just like the Kicthen has no roof, don't put the top of the curtians. I think we need some sort of stage thing because it would be a multipurpose play ste. Any figures would work on it. As long as the idea isn't scrapped yet, I'm happy. :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
I just think it needs like a $40 price point so it can be about one and half times the Chef's kitchen, bring it out wider and a little bit taller. Just have the stage at the front with a nice velvet/silk immitation curtain with the logo on it or something. Maybe have a row or two of seats in front of the stage so that a few figures can sit in them and watch the show. The stage could have laminated carboard backdrops - come with the regular Muppet Show one and a few others. It just needs the two side walls which could be decorated like the actual Theatre - i guess the statler/waldorf box would need to just be drawn. So yeah no back wall or roof.

Then i thought a backstage set could clip onto the back and incorporate a small backstage area and the stage door. I even like the idea that there be an 'outside' area painted onto the back wall so figures can actually use the stage door and the outer of the building would have Muppety billboards and things.

As for backdrops of different scenes for the Theatre, it could be a great moneyspinner for Palisades - they've got leaflets coming in with the figs from S4, and they have the collectors club and shows and things. The could go on and on selling backdrops of different classic scenes from the shows - just through mail in's and the website.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I think the seats in the front should be left out and replaced with the pit. No back would be great especially when putting playsets on the stage. I think it is a possibility to have a balcony. It would just be a smaller version of the pit, or maybe even the same size, so that could possibly be done. Maybe even leave out a figure, I know you all hate this idea, too make room in the box and in the budget. I think people would buy a theater without a figure. If not, throw in a series one Kermit! :big_grin: