A Pig Out of Water

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Double WOOT!
(That's going to be my new word: Woot. Woot. :to the tune of "Sunny Day": Woot Woot Woot! WootWootWoot Woot Woot Woot! WootWootWootWootWootWootWootWootWoot!

:big_grin:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Kermit looked at her in surprise, but there was mischief in his eyes. “Piggy, if we put you on a bicycle in a pair a bike shorts, we’d have a 12-car pile-up on the freeway for sure.”
And here I thought the insurance wouldn't have allowed the killing part... <giggles>

Ruahnna, I just LOVE this chapter. I love how Kermit asked Piggy to use the shot in the movie... And the entire discussion about Piggy's clothes, particularly Fozzie's comments. And the whole discussion about Kermit's fall, and just, everything. My only teensy-weensy-itty-bitty-little nit-pick... in the movie, Kermit didn't fall into the basket, he was sort of draped over Piggy's handle bars. Just a minor thing, of course, and you might've already known and had a plan in place for that, and if not, don't worry about it. Like I said, it's minor, and this entire story is just SO fantastic...

MORE PLEASE!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Aha! You caught me!

I'm gonna do them in reverse order!

TogetherAgain said:
And the whole discussion about Kermit's fall, and just, everything. My only teensy-weensy-itty-bitty-little nit-pick... in the movie, Kermit didn't fall into the basket, he was sort of draped over Piggy's handle bars. Just a minor thing, of course, and you might've already known and had a plan in place for that, and if not, don't worry about it. Like I said, it's minor, and this entire story is just SO fantastic...QUOTE]

Youa re quite right, Lisa. I watched the scene about 15 times before I finally decided I was going to have to, well, fudge if I wanted to use what I had written. I opted for bold-faced canon-busting, but I did know better when I did it. As Fozzie would say, "Shame on you, Ru!" (To be perfectly honest, I had a hard time with Kermit hanging from his feet that way--although some frogs have sticky toe pads, as far as I know, the tops of their feet are not adhesive.)

TogetherAgain said:
Ruahnna, I just LOVE this chapter. I love how Kermit asked Piggy to use the shot in the movie... QUOTE]

The more I thought about this, the more I knew that Kermit would have to have that conversation, and Piggy's permission, or he woud have to fall from the nice guy pedestal I've always put him on. Piggy and Kermit are professionals, with respect for their craft, and for their ability to use the medium they've chosen to reach the audience. I knew if Piggy could see the shot--if Kermit could show her how we, the audience, warm to them both when they are genuine with each other, that she would be willing to let him use the shot. I can't like someone who's willing to hurt others in order to achieve what he wants, and I do like Kermit. Sorry if I sound all "Rowlf-ish" on you--I've been thinking about this a lot.

Anyway (dragging herself back from the philosophical depths), I'm glad you're enjoying my story. I'm having a great time.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
That's what I'm here for

An air of suppressed excitement filled the set. Although everyone but Piggy—and of course Kermit and the crew—had the morning off, the place seemed crowded, and infused with an almost festive air. The ladies from Charlie’s Water Ballet had arrived to considerable fanfare that morning, and Kermit was willing to wager that every single single male associated with the film was on hand to catch a glimpse of the bathing beauties. Scooter, who was usually hovering helpfully at Kermit’s elbow, seemed more than a little distracted. If Kermit hadn’t been so miserably nervous himself, he would have teased Scooter a little.
“Ten minutes,” Scoter said, “and Miss Piggy says may she see the director in her dressing room, please.”
Kermit looked a question at Scooter, but he was already moving off. Kermit hopped down from his directro’s chair and made his way to the room that had been set aside fro Piggy. He knocked once and, hearing no response, opened the door tentatively to find Piggy in an almost hysterical state, wringing her hands and placing nervously back and forth.
“Hey Piggy,” Kermit said quietly, and she started violently and gave him such a pitiable look of agitation that he stepped inside and shut the door firmly to keep any gawkers at bay.
“I must have been crazy,” she wailed. “I don’t know why I let you talk me into this. I don’t know what I was thinking! I cannot do this—I, I can’t! I am going to make a fool of myself and ruin the whole movie and—“
“Piggy,” Kermit said soothingly. “Calm down—it’s okay. You’re going to be fine. You’re going to do fine. You’re just—“
“I can’t!” she insisted stubbornly. “I’ve forgotten everything you taught me.” She covered her face in her hands, almost panting in her distress. “It’s all gone—everything’s gone.”
Guided more by instinct than reason, Kermit came up behind her and put his arms around her waist. Piggy jumped in surprise at the unexpected contact, but Kermit held her tight.
“It’s not gone,” Kermit said firmly. Very briefly, he touched her forehead, put his hand lightly over her heart. “It’s here, and here. And I’m here.” He tightened his arms around her, pulling her back against him until her center of gravity shifted and she leaned against him. “Trust me,” he murmured.
“I’m, I’m scared Kermit. What if I can’t—“
“Shh. Don’t be scared. I’m right here. Close your eyes Piggy. That’s right—keep them closed. Now take a deep breath. Hold it—that’s right. Now let it go and take another one. Good. That’s great.” He felt her relax a little as the breath shuddered out of her, and she stilled a little in his arms. His voice in her ear, his warm breath on her neck, the comfort of his embrace were calming her little by little. “Now,” Kermit continued, “just think about the night you learned to float. Remember?”
“I—yes,” Piggy whispered, eyes closed obediently. “I remember.”
“Just lean on me, Piggy,” Kermit murmured. “Just relax and remember what it felt like to lay back on the water, to float. Do you remember?”
“Yes.”
“Remember all the stars that night? Remember how peaceful and calm it was?”
“Yes.”
“The water was warm. Remember how safe the water felt, holding you?”
“Yes.”
He fell silent for a moment, letting her remember.
“Now, remember the night you nailed the high dive?”
“No, I—“
“Try—try to remember.”
“I, okay—yes. Yes, I remember. It was, it was scary but—“
“But you didn’t fall.”
“No. I didn’t.”
“You did wonderful. You were amazing.”
“No,” Piggy said, but her voice was wistful.
“Yes,” Kermit maintained firmly. “And you’re going to be wonderful and amazing today.”
Kermit fell silent just holding her in the quiet, until Piggy took one last, shaky breath and opened her eyes. She was calmer now—he could feel it in the relaxed set of her shoulders, could feel that the swiftly beating pulse in her neck had slowed.
“Piggy?”
“Yes—I’m okay now.” She sounded calm, composed.
Kermit held her for a few beats longer, then set her back on her feet. Piggy turned, intending to thank him, but Kermit had not stepped back yet. She turned right into his arms. Blushing, they tried to disentangle their limbs, but turned in the same direction once, twice—a third time, laughing nervously. They held on to each other, trying to regain their balance as they bodies bumped together. Piggy had been looking down, flustered, but she looked up in surprise, bringing their faces close together.
She would have taken a step back, but now she was entangled in the sling Kermit still wore around his neck for when his arm grew tired or achy. “Sorry,” she murmured. “Sorry.”
Kermit reached out and caught her arm to steady them. “No,” he said softly, looking into her eyes. “Don’t be sorry.” There was such a short distance between them, it was no trouble for Kermit to close the gap, leaning forward and kissing Piggy’s mouth. It was a short kiss, but it shook them both a little, and Kermit pulled back and looked at her. “For luck,” he said solemnly. “Just for luck.”
‘Oh,” Piggy said, cheeks pink. “Yes—for luck.” They continued to stare at each other. “Maybe we should do that one more time,” she whispered. “You know, just to be sure the luck holds.”
What the hey, Kermit thought, casting caution to the wind. He stepped forward boldly, swept Piggy to him, and kissed her until everything happening outside their little circle of two faded away. His left arm, still stiff from the fall, held her close. His other hand slipped beneath her golden curls to cup her neck so he could kiss her trembling mouth. After a moment of stunned surprise, Piggy lifted her arms to his neck and kissed him back with almost desperate abandon, drowning in his embrace. Gradually, reality intruded, and they pulled away self-consciously.
“For luck,” Kermit repeated, his mind pleasantly fogged.
“Yes,” Piggy said, laughing nervously as she withdrew. “For luck.”
“Did that—did that help?” Kermit asked, trying to regain his composure.
“What? Oh—yes, yes—I feel much calmer now.” Her eyes were down, her cheeks flaming pink. Kermit looked down to catch her eye—made her look at him—then smiled.
“Cause we could do that again if—“
Piggy shot him a look of pure exasperation, but she couldn’t hold it. She began to smile. “Get out,” she growled, but her eyes were warm. She pushed him toward the door.
“Cause hey—the director is here for you—“
“Out!"
“That’s what I’m here for—“
“Go!”
Kermit stopped in the doorway, smiling back at her.
“You’re going to do great, Piggy. I know it.”
She pushed him into the hall and shut the door firmly behind him. Her head was spinning, her heart was thumping loudly against her ribcage, but she was smiling and she felt calm, she felt exhilarated, she felt—she felt amazing. She took a deep breath and went to reapply her lipstick before the shoot.

“Oh, good—there you are, Kermit,” Scooter said, relief in his voice. “Looks like everything’s ready to begin.” He gave Kermit a thoughtful look.
“Everything okay with Miss Piggy? They’re ready any time she’s ready.”
“What? Oh—yes. Miss Piggy is fine—we were just, um, going over some last-minute discussion about the scene.”
“Uh huh,” Scooter said, and something in his voice made Kermit stop and look at him guiltily.
“Scooter?”
Silently, Scooter handed him a clean handkerchief.
“What’s this for, Scooter?”
“Um, Boss—you’re wearing lipstick.”
“Oh.” They looked at each other for a moment, Kermit wiping self-consciously at his mouth.
“Um, thanks.”
Scooter had the good grace not to grin, but his eyes were merry. “Sure thing,” he said. “That’s what I’m here for.”

It was a grueling shoot, but the scene went wonderfully. The ladies from Charlie’s were true professionals and, although Piggy was nervous about hitting her marks, they made it easy for her. So used were they to moving in synchronization that accommodating Piggy was easy for them. Two hours into filming, Kermit could tell that Piggy was enjoying herself, not to mention the murmurs of appreciation from the spectator crowd. They wanted to try the underwater sequence one more time to be sure they had everything they needed, and then they would break for lunch. The stylists would mob Piggy, drying and styling her hair, while she tried to eat lunch, and then it would be time for the high dive.
Fozzie sidled up alongside Kermit while they were waiting for the camera crew to reload.
“How’s it going, Kermit?” Fozzie whispered. Even when the filming light wasn’t on, Fozzie tended to whisper on stage.
“I think it’s going great,” Kermit said, speaking normally. “How’s it look from the sidelines?”
“Super.” Fozzie took off his hat and played with it, a sure sign something was up. “Um, Kermit?”
“Yes, Fozzie.”
“Are you—are you sure you’ve been teaching Piggy to swim?”
“What? Um, yes Fozzie. Why?”
“Cause she is doing really well.”
“What—I’m a bad teacher?” Kermit said irritably.
“No—no, it’s just that….” He trailed off uncomfortably. “Nothing.” He began to slump away.
Kermit stopped him with a hand on his arm. “Fozzie—I wouldn’t lie to you. Piggy’s just a really quick study.”
“Frog scout’s honor?”
“Frog scout’s honor.”
Fozzie relaxed, smiling at Kermit, and Kermit smiled back. “We’ve still got to get through the high dive,” Kermit reminded him. Fozzie looked up, up, up to the high ceiling towering above them.
“Oh, wow,” he said softly. “I hope you’re a really good teacher.”
Yeah, Kermit thought nervously. Me, too.

Thank heaven for small graces, Piggy thought with relief. Unbeknownst to her, the special effects crew had nixed the idea of the sparking headdress over her own hair and attached it instead to a wig. Piggy was able to eat her lunch in peace while they put her own hair up in a wig cap. Only when she took of her terry robe and readied herself for the shoot did they put the crown on her head. Once she was standing on the fountain platform, the press of a button would light the thing and she would be on her way. Oh, please, she thought desperately, let this be perfect on the first shot.
Kermit, watching from the elevated director’s chair, gulped nervously. Oh, please, he thought anxiously, let this be perfect on the first shot. The first shot didn’t do it, but the second one did. Piggy emerged triumphantly out of the deep—water streaming off her—to the applause and cheers of everyone there. Wardrobe came and took the headdress away, wrapping her firmly in a warm towel while someone else fetched her robe and sandals. It was over, it was done, it was in the can. Piggy felt weak-kneed with relief.
Kermit had to elbow his way into the throng surrounding her to offer his congratulations, but it was well worth the effort. Piggy leaned forward and kissed him—chastely—on the cheek but her eyes were bright, thanking him for everything.
“And to think,” Fozzie voice carried clearly over the lull in conversation. “That Piggy just leaned how to swim.”
There was a moment’s stunned silence. Fozzie, realizing what he’d done, clapped his hat over his mouth. Kermit and Piggy stared at each other.
“Um, what Fozzie means—“ Kermit began, looking to Piggy for confirmation.
“What Fozzie means is that Moi just learned how to swim,” Piggy said firmly. It was over, her face said plainly. No need to hide it now. “Didn’t look like it,” Dr. Teeth said. “You nailed that routine pretty sweet, pork stuff.”
“Like, for sure,” Janice chimed in.
Piggy smiled graciously, holding court. “Thank you,” she said sweetly. “It was a lot of hard work, but I couldn’t have done it without my coach, Kermit the Frog.”
The crowd suddenly turned to him, patting him on the back, pumping his good hand. In the enthusiasm, they were carried from each other. Through the crowds and over the heads of well-wishers, Kermit looked over at Piggy and smiled.
“You did it,” he mouthed.
She shook her head and accepted a hug from one of Charlie’s girls. “No,” she mouthed back. “We did it.”

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
YES! Oh my gosh I love it! Oh it makes me want to DANCE! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for you! And the story! And Piggy! And Kermit! And Fozzie! And- OH!!!!!!!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Piggy has left the building

Now that the crushing pressure of performing the unfamiliar was gone, Piggy became much like her regular self—supremely confident, irritating, radiating diva-ness. “Of course I don’t need a stunt double for the motorcycle scenes,” she had said archly. “I could do those stunts in my sleep.” It was, true enough, not Piggy’s first time on a motorcycle and she had more issues with the silver jumpsuit than with her mount. “It makes me look like the Michelin Tire Man,” she had complained to wardrobe at one early fitting.
“Actually, I think it makes you look more like Elvis,” Rizzo observed, munching on a yellow pear. Gonzo found him later that day, stuffed uncomfortably into a file cabinet, but the feisty little rat remained unrepentant. For some weeks to come, all anyone had to do was mutter “Elvis” in Piggy’s presence to get a sure-fire rise out of her.
With the bulk of the stunts behind them, they began to have fun on the set. Once, in the middle of the Mallory Gallery set, with little prompting, Piggy and Charles had launched into some positively inspired cha-cha-cha-ing, dancing each other all over the floor to smatterings of applause while every other cast member in the scene—and most who were not—joined in, over-running the set with odd pairings. This would normally have pushed all of Kermit’s buttons, resulting in an arm-waving tirade about the waste of time and the cost of the film, but instead, Kermit watched benevolently, occasionally being sucked into the mayhem. After Piggy had dragged him onto the floor for a little spin around the room, Charles had cut in—on Piggy—and the two men had laughed themselves silly over Piggy stuptified expression as they circled the room cheek to cheek. Piggy got her own back, however, by passing them in the other direction dancing cheek to cheek with Diana Rigg, who had some serious moves of her own. Eventually, the dancing died out and the giggles subsided, but the tension that had been building for take after take had subsided, and everyone felt refreshed.
On the day they were to film Piggy’s first scene with Lady Holiday, someone snuck a picture of Gonzo—wearing a dress, no less—into Piggy’s portfolio. Piggy and Diana, both professional to the core, tried to save the scene, but Piggy finally let out a snort of suppressed laughter which made them both break character and hoot hysterically. The next time they tampered with Piggy’s portfolio, they pasted a picture of Animal’s head over the top of Piggy’s, with similar results. After that, Piggy began to keep her portfolio prop in her dressing room under lock and key until the scene was in the can.
Ever the opportunist, Rizzo began to sell tour packages to popular local sights when they weren’t actively filming—using the prop bus from the Happiness Hotel. Kermit took a deep breath, smiled, and told himself that the extra publicity couldn’t hurt the movie, and that nothing Rizzo did could hurt the bus. Once, surprising even himself, Kermit canceled the half-day’s filming they had planned and climbed aboard, pulling an astonished Piggy after him. They spent a fun day being jolted around the sights of London with their friends. It had been fun, and Piggy had actually snuggled against him and leaned her head on his shoulder on the trip back. Not a bad day, Kermit thought with satisfaction. Not a bad day at all.
Not everything went well. Gonzo—a performance artist at heart—had changed out the seltzer water with real champagne in the Dubonnet Club scene, which no one noticed until Fozzie keeled over, snoring, amidst the rows of champagne glasses. Although miserably hung over, Fozzie suffered no lasting ill effects, except to be very wary of ginger ale for a long time after. The day’s shoot was a bust, but Kermit did his best to take it in stride. Making millions of people happy wasn’t going to be much use if he accomplished it by making the people closest to him miserable.
It was with a genuine feeling of accomplishment—and an equally heartfelt feeling of relief—that filming wrapped on “The Great Muppet Caper.” Perhaps because of the unusual number of stresses they had encountered in filming, or maybe because of the anticipation of a little R&R, the wrap party was more than a little frantic. Loud music (The Electric Mayhem was hot tonight!) and a glorious excess of food and soft drinks marked their little party, and Kermit found himself looking for an excuse to go outside. Or maybe, his mind prompted, you just want an excuse to talk with Miss Piggy alone.
She had stepped outside to let the night air cool her. She stood with her face toward the breeze, letting it blow her hair away from her upturned countenance.
“Hey Piggy,” Kermit said. Piggy didn’t startle at the sound of his voice. She merely opened her eyes and smiled at him before looking back into the wind.
‘Come on out,” she said quietly. “The night air is very refreshing.”
Kermit came up beside her and let the gentle wind play over him. He didn’t have any hair for the air to tease, but he liked the cool gusts playing over his features after the noise and heat inside.
“Nice,” he said softly.
“Yes.”
Kermit took a deep breath. “Piggy, I—“ He stopped. Although he had rehearsed it a dozen dozen times, he hadn’t the faintest idea of what he was going to say now that he was here.
As if sensing his consternation, Piggy turned and looked at him. There was a smile lurking in her big blue eyes, but it was kind. Kermit smiled back and forgot all about being nervous.
“You did a terrific job on this movie, Piggy,” Kermit began. “I could not have asked for a better co-star, or a better trouper.”
“You could have asked,” Piggy teased, “but—“ She trailed off expressively and they smiled, laughing easily. “I couldn’t have done it without you, Kermit,” Piggy said.
“There were things you might have done better without me—“ Kermit began, but Piggy squelched it with a look. “Okay,” Kermit agreed, surrendering. “Okay, Piggy.” He looked away for a minute and took another deep breath. “Now that filming has wrapped, I was thinking maybe we could go away for a vacation.”
Piggy fiddled with the ends of her blue feather boa. “We who?” she asked, not looking at him.
“Oh—just you. And me.” She looked up quickly, her eyes wide with astonishment, and Kermit blushed and fought the urge to flee. “Um—you’d have your own room,” he added hastily, wishing his voice didn’t quaver.
Piggy looked at him for a moment, and then down. When she spoke, her voice was barely above a whisper. “Where would we go?”
“Oh, um, maybe a resort somewhere?”
Piggy said nothing, her expression carefully neutral, and continued to worry the feathery tufts on the end of her wrap.
Nervously, Kermit plunged on. “Just someplace quiet where we could rest and, um, spend some time together. It doesn’t really matter—I don’t care where we go as long as we’re, um, together.”
Piggy stepped close to him then. Her face betrayed nothing, but her eyes betrayed everything. She reached out tentatively and put her arms around his neck, letting her warm little hands slip under his neck frill.
“This resort,” she said quietly, beginning to smile. “Could it by any chance have a duck pond—or at least a swimming pool?”
Kermit’s slow smile matched her own. He found his arms around her, pulling her close.
“It could.”
“Good.”
Kermit’s smile broadened. “Does this mean I finally get to see your itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny purple polka-dot bikini?”
Piggy made a face and tried to push him away, but his hold on her was firm. He saw her face change as she realized he was not giving up, was not letting go, and it made his heart go pitter-pat.
Piggy kissed him then—not a burning-down-the-house sort of kiss, but the kind of kiss that you remembered, tasted, felt on your lips for a long time afterward. Afterward, she snuggled up against him, her head resting on his shoulder.
“That would be nice.”
“Good,” Kermit murmured. “I’ll have Scooter make the arrangements.” He started to pull away.
“Not right now,” Piggy objected. “Just hold me. Just hold on to me.”
Kermit stopped, stopped in his tracks, and kept his arms tight around her.
“I will, Honey,” he said. “I promise—this time I will.”

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhhh! <is a melted pile of gush on the floor> Aww... So sweet... a duck pond... <giggles>... Aw....

Lovely, Ruahnna, just lovely! Lovely! I love it. I hug it. I'm gonna hold it, just as long as he holds her. And maybe even longer, depending... on I don't what. I'm gonna hold it. Just cause I love it so!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Was that the end? An enjoyable story... Very much like how you explored the Muppets real filming of TGMC with all the ups and downs... Would you groan if I said it went swimmingly?
I know, leave the bad jokes to the bear.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Incorrigible punster--don't incorrige!

The Count said:
Was that the end? An enjoyable story... Very much like how you explored the Muppets real filming of TGMC with all the ups and downs... Would you groan if I said it went swimmingly?
I know, leave the bad jokes to the bear.
Yes--I think I'm done with this one. This the first time I've ever really done "writing between the lines" and I have to say it's more than usually challenging. I've started another one, which should surface (hah!) soon, but I'm still working on the very beginning.
Laughed hysterically at your pun. It's only okay to leave the bad jokes to the bear if they stay there with him!