Abby Cadabby Balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving parade

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was watching, I think, NBC, and they were talking about inflating the new Thanksgiving day balloons. This year, we have Shrek (and a Shrek plush for sale at Macy's), Hello Kitty, and Abby Cadabby.

Now, this is pretty far for a character to come in just 2 seasons. It took Grover 30 odd years to get his own balloon.

So far, Abby is the 4th Muppet to get a balloon, allong with Big Bird, Kermit, and Super Grover. Unless I'm wrong, not even Elmo got a balloon.

But on the subject of the latter, does this mean that they've dropped Grover for Abby? It would be a shame if that was the case, since Super Grover is one of my all time favorites.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I really see the creation of the Abby character as an attempt to gain some of the Dora market for Sesame. My niece watched more Dora than SS (unfortunately). For this reason, I could see Abby being a promotional balloon in this year's parade.

Are you certain Elmo never had a balloon? I could have sworn he did. I know he's had balloons in other parades and functions. Maybe that's what I'm thinking.

superboober

Reaction score
In the 20 years or so I've watched the parade, Elmo has never had a balloon, just Kevin Clash helping him perform on the float with the rest of the cast. I hope this doesn't lead to the end of Big Bird's long flight down Broadway, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Big Bird is a staple. I'd think if any of them had to go, it would be Grover.

BTW, The Shrek Balloon looks pretty amazingly detailed.

zns

Reaction score
Well aside from the fact that Abby will be in the parade, it also appears that :smile: will be there as well. So basically there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
SHAA! Nice! I can't wait to see!

I know of a site that shows more baloons including an Animal, Piggy, Bear and Elmo. They weren't in the Macy's parade but they look pretty cool :smile: I'll post it later if I can.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well aside from the fact that Abby will be in the parade, it also appears that :smile: will be there as well. So basically there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You have got to be kidding! Kermit the Frog is back? I just can't believe that. Maybe Disney does read the posts here....