1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Abby Cadabby Balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving parade

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by Drtooth, Nov 13, 2007.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I like the way both ballons looked i really think NBC does good with the muppets
  2. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice that Alice (Snuffy's sister) was on the float too?
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You noticed that too? When a balloon breaks on it's first outing that's never a good sign. Looks like it can be repaired easily, it just popped out of a socket, but that's about it.

I'm absolutely thrilled Disney was able to support the Kermit Balloon.

And am I the only one who thinks whoever was doing the filming for the parade screwed up majorly on the SS float?

Muppet stuff aside, I have to say, the Shrek Balloon was amazingly detailed. I was afraid the new Rabbit balloon was based off a crappy kid's book I never heard of. And Disney, if you have access to the most famous cartoon characters of all time, why must you constantly sponser the "Jo Jo's Circus" balloon. Does anyone even know what Jojo's circus is?
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

So thrilled they used the Kermit balloon!

Dr.Tooth, what was wrong with the filming for the SS float? I did watch it but didn't pay as much attention. Just asking. :)
  5. Drtooth

They had all the wrong cues, and they had the camera on the wrong characters singing... it was badly timed too. There was even an overly pixilated (like a broken DVD or digital tape) shot of Oscar that froze up. It was just... wow. Terribly bad taping.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh that's true! I do remember thinking they were filming the wrong Muppets at times. Heh, in general there's a lot of lack of effort in the world today as far as research. To be fair though, it's difficult filming a live event like that and the filming of the parade has often been awkward in the past.
  7. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Yours froze up on Oscar too? I thought it was just my local station. Huh.

But yeah, the camera shots were awful. When Ernie, Bert, Grover, and Prairie Dawn had their solo lines during the song the camera was on Miles and Gabi and some random kids I think. It was rather annoying really.

Oh well, I just hope someone puts up a video of it on YouTube.
  8. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I thought it was just my digital cable!

:p :grouchy: :(
  9. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

The freeze-up happened to me, too! I thought it was just my DVR.

I recorded it so I could fast-forward through all those boring constant musical numbers. It's a parade, not a vaudeville musical show!
  10. dwayne1115

same here on the freeze up on oscar i didnt even think he was in the song.
  11. zns

zns Well-Known Member

It's a clear sign that Macy's has great respect Jim Henson and his characters.
  12. dwayne1115

not only macys but i think the city of new york does to.
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I also thought the camera work cold have been better. I was wondering about them not getting the right character singing at the right time and was a little bet upset that they only sang a condensed version or the song. But I didn't see Chris anywhere? Other then some minor flaws it was pretty good to me.
  14. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Surprised no one mentioned this...

I had the badly pixelated Oscar image as well. I wondered about the timing, too. I heard Maria and Luis singing, but I didn't see them. Maybe they were on the other side of the float?

Anyone else notice the "old school" theme they used during the apperance? (no, not the calypso one, the old harmonica one).

But what really surprised me was someone was on the float I hadn't expected...Susan! Susan was there! With as little as we've seen of her lately, it was a nice surprise to see her with the rest of the gang.

And the Kermit balloon? Yeah! Rainbow Connection to end the parade right before Santa made me smile.:)

Convincing John
  15. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

The Harmonica closing theme was used during the shot with the Abby Cadabby balloon. But when they were talking about the Sesame Street float, the 1992-2006 closing credits theme was playing in the background. It would make sense, since it was still in use with they introduced "Elmo's World" :concern:
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Well, it actually sounded more like the 1995 theme closing that was similar to the original closing music.
  17. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just surprised that the old harmonica theme was used during the parade. Been ages since I'd heard it there.

Convincing John
  18. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Anyone notice that for the past 4-5 years they have NOT had an 100 % attendance record with the human cast appearing on the Thanksgiving float?

This year, Gordon was missing.

Last year, Maria was missing.

The year before, I believe Susan was missing.
  19. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I have to say that I actually have noticed that about previous years.
  20. Drtooth

And irony of ironies, it was used to show a new character balloon.

It depends. If you're referring to the Musicals at the beginning of the Parade, they usually last about 1 hour into the show anyway. i'm glad I finally got a peak at Young Frankenstine. But those others were... WOW.... ugh. A musical based on an obscure 1980's film that was a joke anyway? Heck with that.

But the ones in the parade itself... I can tolerate the bands... the marching bands. But often the performances are just at the moment pop stars. However, if it's for a cartoon based Float (say the Fosters one) I really enjoy it.