1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Abby Cadabby Balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving parade

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by Drtooth, Nov 13, 2007.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Heh, well it wouldn't have been my first choice to remove two classic and time proven characters just to take a chance on a new and as yet unproven character. Past experience I think has shown that such gambles don't end up well in the long run.
  2. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I call it a risky move on Sesame Workshop part, because Abby Cadabby has just appearaed in two seasons on the Show. :(
  3. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

Bigger than Life

Okay - Macy's Thanksgiving Parade gets

Abby Cadabby
    Kermit

Boscov's Thanksgiving Parade 2007 (Philadelphia)

Oscar The Grouch
    Miss Piggy

And the list of other known Balloons

Pepe The King Prawn (Yes Pepe)
    Grover
    Kermit with Santa Hat
    Cookie Monster
    Regular Kermit
    Big Bird
    Big Bird with Drum
    Snuffy

I need to see if I have pics of others but I have evidence :halo: of at least the ones presented here

Sesame Place Balloons on Carts
    Snuffy
    Elmo
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

No Big Bird? I mean, Abby's nice and all. But you're getting rid of the star of the show. Even Elmo wouldn't do that. Don't understand why they don't have funding for both balloons.

Anyone know what other balloons will be around, nonmuppet related?
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Maybe they can alternate balloons every year? Just a thought.
  6. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I know the three new balloons in the Macy's parade this year are Abby Cadabby, Hello Kitty and Shrek.
  7. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

They often change and rotate balloons year to year.

The Kermit balloon appeared in 1977, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1991, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2007. Big Bird appeared in balloon form in 1986, 1998, 2001, and 2005. Super Grover appeared from 2003 to 2006. And Abby Cadabby will appear in 2007. Who knows what 2008 will have!
  8. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

And now for something really different...

Hey - Who else has a parade with Muppet balloons besides Philly and NYC?:)
  9. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

I am going to record the NBC presentation of the parade, so I can fast-forward during those useless Broadway performances :rolleyes:

And every year, they have that turkey in a pilgrim's outfit and they do a New Years' Eve-style countdown to start it, but at one, they go "Let's have a parade!"(TM) And every year now, they have a Sesame Street float? Will they be having it this year? I know last year's Macy's parade had Herry Monster making an appearance. And do the actual show's puppeteers operate the Muppets or are they performed to a pre-recorded vocal track?
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wonder if there aill be any Broadway stuff, considering the stagehands strike.
  11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing actually. I mean, they might still go on since it's just the actors and there's not much of a stage. Also, not all the shows are closed because of the strike.
  12. Muppet dude

Right. With a recorded version of the parade, I can just fast forward through most of that stuff and get to the balloons and other stuff I like. Though I did like the Grinch broadway segment. I wonder which Muppets will be riding on the Sesame Street Float this year anyways? And it's good to see they're bringing out the Kermit the Frog balloon. Maybe they want a classic Muppet to "help" Abby Cadabby in the parade. :)
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It would be nice.:) But you know that it's most likely going to be Elmo. I'm not complaining though.
  14. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Well, in the America's Thanksgiving Parade, which is held in downtown Detroit, there's an Elmo ballon. Also, up until 2006,there was a "lifesize" toy train which carried walk- around versions of Elmo, Cookie, Ernie, and Bert, which was usually just an advertisement to promote the Sesame Street stage show coming to town.
  15. Muppet dude

I just saw the Sesame Street float on TV. It was awesome! I loved seeing Barkley out there with the cast, and I enjoyed the presence of Hoots the Owl and Bob McGrath. I noticed that Elmo and Hoots were really close together. Maybe Kevin Clash was operating both puppets at the same time? And even though the Count was there, I didn't hear his voice from the singing, so I don't think Jerry Nelson could make it this year. :( But it was really cool seeing the REAL Muppets and humans together in a live appearance.
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

yes good ol barkly looked so cool. The thing that bugged me was that they where shooting the muppets that where not singing and didnt shoot the ones that where. the float looked great as always. Cant wait to see the kermit baloon.
  17. zns

zns Active Member

They've done it again. I can't wait to see what they will do for the 40th anniversary in two years.:p :( :grouchy:
  18. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Wow, for once S.S. was one of the first floats to go this year!:) It was nice seeing Barkley again too, now onky if we can get him into some regular episodes!

And was Abby's wand supposed to look broken?:confused:
  19. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

I taped it..... it was nice to have Sesame at the start of the parade. Hoots and barkly there was a treat and Kermit at the end of the parade (with "Rainbow" song playing) what a nice way to open and end the parde with Muppets! :)
  20. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Member

I saw it the Abby Cadabby Balloon and also Kermit Balloon as well!