Academy Awards

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
That guy was the legendary Johnny Carson. I posted about this at the begining of the thread Zack.
whoops Nate! Must have missed that:zany: yes Johnny Carson! i knew who it was i just couldn't think of his name! i was at school going what's his name! how could i forget his name! only i''ll just write "some guy":wink:

Do you mean Adrien Brody? Brando wasn't up for an award, and hasn't been for many many many many years.
Whoops again! yeah like i said, i didn't see the movie so i don't know nuffin,lol i knew his last name started with a B though, i just copy and pasted the first B name i found:embarrassed: yes my mom was very happy for him!

Zack)Rowlf the, mixed up, pup.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Forgot to mention Madonna-- she did get the Razzie for worst actress this year. :wink:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I didn't know or remember the other nominees for Best Song. They kind of bored me. But my other friends (who normally can't stand Eminem either) were happy that he won. I detest pretty much everything the guy stands for, but this song was basically an inspiring "stand up and take your chance" song. And it was kind of catchy. So I could see why it won. (That, and the fact that Hollywood people often confuse controversy with art.)

I'm more disgusted with the fact that the Academy keeps coming up with newer, dumber rules to exclude even more great songs from winning Oscars. I don't care if the songs in Moulin Rouge weren't written for the film; the PRESENTATION of them was entirely new, and Ewan MacGregor's "Your Song" has it all over Elton John's. (And at any rate, the centerpiece of the movie--"Come What May"--was completely original. Why was it excluded?) Now "Chicago" didn't get any nominations for the thing it's known the most for--its songs. But songs like U2's borefest, which only appeared over the end credits and wasn't integrated into the movie at all, DOES get nominated! What sense does that make??

It gets worse. For next year, they want to exclude sequels from getting nominated, because they're not "original" themes. Never mind the fact that a LOT of new material is written even for sequels, and some of the best work is in those films (most of the themes we associate with "Star Wars" actually make their first appearance in "The Empire Strikes Back," including Darth Vader's theme). Why all these ridiculous, arbitrary rules?

Whew. OK, done with my rant for now. :smile:

I SO loved seeing Kermit and Piggy! I wanted to see the rest of the clip after that brief snippet was over. I wonder if they've got that one at the Museum of TV.

I thought Mickey looked fine. I didn't even realize he was CGI when he first walked out (it was more noticeable when he was standing straight on). The awards show presenters can never come up with good material for the cartoon characters, though.

Did anyone catch how he read the names? Usually they cut away or do some other trick to prevent a problem with the mouth movement. One year Bugs Bunny read the name while holding the paper in front of his mouth. Another time, the caterpillar from Bug's Life ran under the envelope to read the name. (Tricks like this became common after one year when Snow White came to a grinding "halt" as the tape was abruptly stopped as they tried to cue the right winner's name!) But so far as my memory goes, Mickey just kept on talking. Can anyone else refresh my memory on how they did this last night?

To answer your questions, Zack: yes, the audience had to look at the monitors in order to see Mickey. And the others are right; indedepent animation festivals (which usually only come to big cities) are pretty much the only place to see animated shorts these days. It's a shame, really. When the category was created, EVERYONE used to be watching the shorts that were produced, the Bugs Bunnys and the Mickey Mouses. The Oscars telecast includes these shows even though, ironically, it was TV that killed animated shorts before movies.

I just got a copy of the "Roger Rabbit" script, and I like the first line of description: "This movie starts the way all movies should: with a cartoon."

Steve Martin's comments about Mickey being a "black actor," while not intentionally offensive, were definitely...odd. I guess he didn't realize there has been a great deal of controversy over Mickey's "skin pigment." It was Steve's one major miss in a night when he hit nearly every other gag out of the park.

I totally agree about Micheal Moore. He shouldn't have won for documentary anyway. One moment he's excusing his manipulation of the facts in his films by saying he's just making entertainment; the next, he's getting up on stage accepting a documentary award and saying "we work in non-fiction." That's before launching into a tirade of falsifications and ugly, unwarranted comments. As Jamie said, you have to be a pretty big jerk to make liberal comments in liberal Hollywood and get booed off the stage. The thing that baffles me is this: the Academy gave him the award; they gave him a standing ovation when he went to the podium. What did they THINK he was going to say when he got up there?

Whoo. I'm done for now, I guess. :smirk:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I was hoping for Paul to get Best Song too. It was really nice to see him perform "Father and Daughter" live. I think Michael Moore was out of line but Adrian Brody did a beautiful job of expressing the mood of the nation when it comes to this war. I was a little taken aback by his embrace with Halle Berry, but I guess he figured he had to pounce on a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Was she the one Steve Martin made that joke about, standing 22 feet away as per the restraining orders? I forget now. I thought Steve Martin was hilarious last night, especially his opening monologue. So often it seems like these hosts just ramble on and on and make really dumb jokes, but I really thought Steve did a nice job. :smile:
Erin

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
I was hoping for Paul to get Best Song too. It was really nice to see him perform "Father and Daughter" live.
Yeah. I wonder if I was alone in singing along to it when he was performing it?

I was a little taken aback by his embrace with Halle Berry, but I guess he figured he had to pounce on a once-in-a-lifetime chance.
And it paid off, too! I'm telling you, that's going to go down in the record books. It ranks right up there with Cuba Gooding, Jr. leaping all over the stage and Roberto Benigni walking on the tops of the chairs up to the stage to receive his statuette.

-Kim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was also moved my Adrian's speech. It came from the heart and nowhere else. :smile:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
It was Steve's one major miss in a night when he hit nearly every other gag out of the park.
I feel Steve had a bigger miss (and I didn't think anything of the black comment).

Right after the "In Memoriam" segment when the show came back, he came out and said somethin' like, "Wasn't that a wonderful memoriam tribute? I hope to make it up there some day."

:smirk:

I know it was a joke, but to me, it was in bad taste. This is one of the most touching moments each year, and it really hits hard on some people (especially if one of them was close to you, or you were a loyal fan).

Then just to make a crack like that---it fell flat for me. :rolleyes: Made me feel kinda bad for the people connected to those in the montage. :sympathy:

Looking at the quote it doesn't seem that bad, but it was the way he said it...

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I liked that one, Byron, because I felt it was cleverly ironic without being at the expense of the people in the tribute. But I can see your side of it.

Isn't it morbid how a Muppet fan can't help but notice every time one of the people in a tribute was a TMS guest? Dudley Moore...James Coburn...Milton Berle.

Oh, and I forgot to mention before how disgusted I was with the award and standing ovation for Roman Polanski. These same people blasted the Catholic Church for covering up child sodomy (and rightly so). How can they justify applauding someone else for the same thing?

(And no, I'm not slamming the Catholic Church -- just individuals within that church who made some very bad decisions.)

Let's see, who else can I take on tonight? :stick_out_tongue: Actually, I was happy about the "Spirited Away" award, though I don't know why, 'cause I haven't seen the movie. It's supposed to be very artistic, though, and it was a labor of love for the Disney people to adapt it. Then after spending all that money on it, Disney unceremoniously dumps the film into a few theaters without any fanfare. (Umm...ignoring the obvious potential Disney-Henson parallels here.) Shrek should have won last year, because it was the best, and it just happened to be the most popular. But if Lilo & Stitch had won, it would be like "What's the point of this award anyway? L & S already have the accolades." Treasure Planet, a critical and financial flop, shouldn't have even been on the list, nor the distrastrous Spirit film (which thankfully didn't win just because it plays to PC mores). (I don't remember the fourth nominee.) So I'm glad "Spirited Away" got some recognition. Then again, maybe I'll change my mind after I see the film. :smirk:

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Adaptation not winning best adapted screenplay is an outrage. They probably just didn't want to give an award to a guy who won't be photographed and his fictional deceased brother. Charlie Kaufman is probably the best screenplay writer out there, I mean he's so good that he's the first screenplay writer that could actually become a favorite of mine.

tomahawk

Reaction score
MICHEAL MOORE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!