1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"America's Next Muppet" mini-series in development

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 6, 2005.

1. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

The first incarnation of the show was in a small internal test-pitch production where the Muppets put on a reality contest and acted as the pannel of judges for other puppet acts and puppeteers. This concept was just used as the pitch (to sell the show), but was never ment to be the actual concept of the show if it was picked up. It was an internal, quick-and-simple low-budget (losely scripted) test to show the executives at ABC & Disney that the Muppets could be funny, entertaining and themselves in the world of the reality show format. It was to show how they characters would work in the format. The pitch worked, and now ABC has ordered them to develop the real concept into a script and 5 episode outlines for them (and if they like them, then the show will start full production).

The actual concept of the show being produced is this: The Muppets are putting on a reality competition (such as American Idol, America's Next Top Model, The Apprentice...) where they will be looking for new Muppet talent to join the Muppet troupe. The show will be similar to the Steve Martin episode of the Muppet show - except without Steve Martin - and with the cinematic and directorial syntax, grammar, and style that the popular reality shows have developed over the years.

There will be all kinds of wacky Muppets doing their thing to impress the judges, along with the Muppets we already know franticly working keep the whole show together. It should be a lot of fun (and a great way for new Muppets to be developed & introduced).
  2. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Oh I can't wait. As long as Muppets are in this I'll watch it no matter how bad it is.
  3. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

4. MuppetCrazy

MuppetCrazy Member

I don't like how they state that viewers are picking the next KIDDIE character!
  5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/tv/article.adp?id=20051025210109990022

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/10/26/showbuzz/index.html#2

It's making it's way through all the news channels...pretty big stuff for something that's onlly in development! Tell ya, Disney knows how to get the interest peaked, eh?
  6. Kimp the Shrimp

i got mine from Fox news it was fair and Balanced Muppet news
  7. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

well i hope you are both right, but it will take some convicing well thought out scripts to make this work, and be funny a, something that has been lacking of late in the muppet world, only time will tell i suppose
  8. Kimp the Shrimp

I Do Hope That They Hopefuls are of great standered and we get to call and vot for who we like but it's weighted with the muppetters and JHC who know what to look for
  9. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Yeah. I've though alot about this, and it's a very cool idea. But it certainly has to be done a certain way, or it just won't really be all that good. The Muppets never really made a big deal about themselves, they just went about their day-jobs trying to put on a show (and failing, most of the time).
    I sort of hope this is done in the same sort of humour as the Steve Martin episode of TMS. It really has to be thought through, what the feel of the show will be. If it's something like "HEY, we're the Muppets and if you want to be one of US...", (of course that's a really blunt and bad example), it just won't seem right. The muppets were never about themselves as celebrities, it was about the music and the show.
    I just hope that whoever does this keeps that in mind. I just want the spirit to be right.
  10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

I've merged the some 3 or 4 threads on this same topic together.

Also, anybody notice that all the reports read the same way? It's because it's all from the Associated Press, where the news gets their news! :)
  11. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I am very excited about this and if its done right it could bring the Muppets back to main stream.
  12. Fwoggybits

Fwoggybits New Member

I hope we see...

I hope we see another superstar FROG be "America's Next Muppet" :) The show must go on! A real dancer of a frog.

:D
    -Fwoggybits
    PS: It should be interactive. I'll call in my vote.

Oh yes and I wonder if there will be guest stars in the shows?
    That would be nice to see once in awhile as a judge.
  13. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Is this still even gonna' happen? It's been months since I've heard anything.
  14. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

As far as I know it's still happening Vic, according to Disney, this is the only Muppet thing that wasn't cancelled, so we should still keep up our hopes.

And welcome to the forum Fwoggybits!! I love your Grover avatar! :excited:
  15. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

According to my cable company's list of upcoming shows America's Next Muppet is supposed to air on ABC this summer. It sounds like it is definitly happening.
  16. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

Oooh I'd die of excitement but then I'd miss it
  17. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I really hope we get some more info on this soon and perhaps some images!
    some one who has the contact here should try and contact there friends within the muppet holding company ;)
  18. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I really hope disney doesnt decide to cancel it at the last minute
  19. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I think all of us here in muppet land hope they don't do that! :sing:
  20. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

yeah but would it really suprise you if they did?