"America's Next Muppet" mini-series in development

unclematt

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
And to further help any possible confusion: Nigel the Director from Muppets Tonight looks like Droop did on The Muppet Show.
Was Nigel the Director named after Nigel the Conducter

minor muppetz

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Was Nigel the Director named after Nigel the Conducter
Yes. It's confirmed in both one of the muppet morsels (on The Muppet Show Season 1 DVD) and in the booklet for the muppet show 25th anniversary album. I believe the director was named after the conductor because Nigel The Director was the host of The Muppet Show: Sex And Violence. Also, Nigel the conductor was originally performed by Jim Henson while Nigel The Director was performed by Jims son, Brian Henson.

unclematt

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Yes. It's confirmed in both one of the muppet morsels (on The Muppet Show Season 1 DVD) and in the booklet for the muppet show 25th anniversary album. I believe the director was named after the conductor because Nigel The Director was the host of The Muppet Show: Sex And Violence. Also, Nigel the conductor was originally performed by Jim Henson while Nigel The Director was performed by Jims son, Brian Henson.
Thank you for the tidbit. I havent watched all the episodes with the Muppet morsels yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Thank you for the tidbit. I havent watched all the episodes with the Muppet morsels yet.
That tidbit is mentioned in the morsels for the Florence henderson episode, during the "happy together" number, which talks about Droop and mentions that his design is similar to Nigels. Although I have't watched the morsels on that episode in awhile, so I could be wrong about the information being there, but I could be wrong. However, i do know that i am right about the information being confirmed in the anniversary albums booklet.

unclematt

Reaction score
Speaking of Flo what is with the number with no muppetes init. What is the point?

beaker

Reaction score
wes said:
I found this on the puppeteers of America web buliten board, I was siked. I called and they are wanting people to impersonate the classic muppet charactors, which i think means exactly what we have been thinking!
They want to outsource the Muppets
Call the number and listen to it. :boo: :concern: :cry:

Posted 08/10/05
I wanted to share with you an exciting opportunity for puppeteers to audition as understudies for classic Muppet characters. Auditions will be held in New York, Los Angeles and Toronto. Dates and locations are being finalized and should be available in the next few weeks. Additionally, we are running an ad in the next issue of the Puppetry Journal. If anyone has questions, please refer them to call the Muppet Hotline at 407-828-1087.
Muppeteer Auditions

Yikes...our Muppets cannot be outsourced!

minor muppetz said:
Maybe it would be good if a show was done where old, forgotten muppet characters audition for a second chance as a major character. George, Hilda, Seymour, Nigel The Conductor, Nigel The Director, Digit, Leon, wayne, Wanda, and Mildred could all audition. Uncle Deadley and Lips would also be good choices. It would also be cool if they rebuilt Thog for something like this.
That would be a brilliant nod to hardcore fans.

Also, when I first heard news of this project, I was worried it was a real reality tv show where they were to let just anyone try and perform the Muppets.

unclematt

Reaction score
It will be a reality but not to perform an all ready existing Muppet, to perform a brand new Muppet

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
wes said:
Posted 08/10/05
I wanted to share with you an exciting opportunity for puppeteers to audition as understudies for classic Muppet characters. Auditions will be held in New York, Los Angeles and Toronto. Dates and locations are being finalized and should be available in the next few weeks. Additionally, we are running an ad in the next issue of the Puppetry Journal. If anyone has questions, please refer them to call the Muppet Hotline at 407-828-1087.
Muppeteer Auditions http://www.puppeteers.org/bb.html
This is the MC Thread dedicated to the auditions: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21459

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
This article was on variety today. Nothing we already didn't know. The only good thing is that by them publishing the story means the production is still a go.

Muppets pull strings at ABC
Reality skein has viewers pick next big kiddie character

The Muppets are plotting a return to primetime while looking for their next great character.
ABC has ordered a script and five script outlines for "America's Next Muppet," a reality TV parody in which viewers may actually get a chance to pick Kermit and Miss Piggy's latest colleague.

ABC and Disney remain tight-lipped on the project, although word of the project first leaked last month to several Muppets fan Web sites. But it appears that the new Muppet project would borrow from shows like "American Idol" and "America's Next Top Model" as judges (Kermit? Statler and Waldorf? Animal?) comb through several new characters to select a major Muppet.

Since acquiring rights to the Muppet characters in 2004, Disney has been pursuing various ways to relaunch the popular brand as part of an overall corporate goal. ABC last May aired telepic "The Muppets Wizard of Oz," which performed solidly (7.8 million viewers), particularly with adults 18-34, teens and kids.

"America's Next Muppet" would represent the first Muppets TV program since "Muppets Tonight," which briefly aired on ABC in 1996 (moving with additional episodes to the Disney Channel for one more year). That show also parodied the TV biz, as the Muppets ran a variety show on "KMUP-TV."

The original "Muppet Show" ran in syndication for 120 episodes between 1976 and 1981.

Date in print: Tue., Oct. 25, 2005

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I think one of the interesting things about this is that while the show is a parody, the viewers get to pick a winner. I mean why bother having the public vote if the whole thing is a fake reality show? Having the public waste money on a phone call to vote for something that is fake would irritate the general public, and not good TV for ABC.

Perhaps it's not 100% parody at all.

Just to invite the public to vote means that you are picking a legit winner. And if that's the case, it can't be totally scripted because if viewers vote, some Muppets will be eliminated week by week from the competition, affecting the writing of the show.

Maybe the selection process of "America's Next Muppet" is real and the rest of the show is just a spoof of the reality show process.

I can't see ABC asking the public to vote for their choice if this wasn't an actual competition. To many TV viewers would get upset that they voted for something that wasn't on the level.

Besides it's good marketing to have the public actually pick the next Muppet who could become a star and lead the Muppets back on track.

If it ends up that the public does not vote... then I can see it being a true parody.