1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

An Editorial: The State of the Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Mutton

Mutton New Member

Foreignman,

Thank you for the information.
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

hey! that is the cube thriller I saw...very low budget, one of those straight to video cheapies. Does this really have something to do with jh' cube stuff? hmmm

///beaker///
    cubism, metropolitain, and avant garde
  3. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

Lucky you.

I'd be really scared if the Muppets started appearing on "juice boxes and snakes"!!!!
  4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

Re: Hummmmm...

Woah woah woah! Muppets1985, youve got some really great points here, some I agree with, but you've really gotta slow down man. If you've got something else to do (like you say), than do that first and THEN sit down and take your time to post. You had at least three to four words misspelled in every sentence. Just some constructive criticism if you want people to take your Muppets as Di$ney campaign seriously.

And, by the way, I dont think seeing the Muppets as part of the Di$ney family was always Jim's dream. But that's just me.
  5. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

Re: Re: Hummmmm...

Very good point. We cannot know what plans Jim had in store for the Muppets. We know he was talking with Disney, but that is all we know.

Personally, I think he was interested in working with Disney more, or at least open to the possibility. I don't think he was planning to sell the Muppets to Disney out right. Before everyone jumps all over me, listen to my reasons: From the start, with Sam and Friends, Jim was exceedingly careful to maintain the rights to his work. This was long before that sort of thing was fashionable in television. Jane Henson talked about this at Muppet Fest; how unusual it was and how much forethought it showed. I just don't see Jim suddenly deciding to sign over the rights to the Muppets. Maybe if he was ready to retire, but even then it seems unlikely-- not with his kids coming into the business. Just my opinion.
  6. Luke

Luke Active Member

Annika,

If you read Bernie Brillsteins autobiography, Jim's manager and one of his closest confidents does indeed say that Jim more or less agreed terms to sell JHC lock, stock and barrel to Disney. Jim even bought out Bernies shares in JHC to be able to do it. The figure was 100-150 million dollars plus extra for Jim to stay on and supply his 'personal services' in creative areas. It goes into about 10 pages of detail on the deal and the daily events that surrounded it.

Jim wanted to get out from being the boss, and also wanted Disneys power and money to be able to move in the creative direction he wanted. He wanted to do a 3D movie and at the time that wasn't cheap, and most of the other things he planned were effects driven so he realised JHC would never be able to fund all that. So anyway it was very much Jim's wish to sell to Disney - he actually brought about the deal himself through his New York lawyers rather than through his manager.
  7. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

Very good point. But Muppets1985 makes it sounds like everything and anything Jim did up until his death was supposed to lead up to the muppets becoming Di$ney property.
  8. Luke

Luke Active Member

Sorry i hadn't read that far back, Muppets1985 gets kinda over-enthusiatic about Disney a lot of the time. No, obviously we all know it was never Jim's dream for JHC to be owned by Disney, there are enough interviews where Jim says first hand what his 'vision' is. The whole Disney thing was more of a decision made on a number of factors towards the end of his life.