1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Animal: Monster or... what?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by peyjenk, May 14, 2007.

1. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

Let's just say it has to do with one of my room mate back at the dorms....

Um, I'm gonna try really hard to ignore that.
  2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh...*has an idea what your idea may be* *and if your idea, is what my idea of your idea is, that it is hilarious*
  3. Marky

Marky Member

It's not that great of a question. He's a drummer.
    Likely of the genus Keithus Moonius.
  4. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

What's wrong with drummers?
  5. Kar Ma

Kar Ma New Member

Absolutely nothing. I have a few family members that are drummers. They are also some of the coolest people I know. However, it's interesting that they made Animal the drummer. Is that an insinuation (that drummers are wild, crazy, and inaudible)?

Ringo Starr: drummer. Tommy Lee: drummer (but fits the insinuation). Phil Collins: drummer. Perhaps it's that we rarely hear from drummers that Animal's vocal antics are limited and crazy. Perhaps the insinuation includes that one must be crazy to play the drums. After all, to most tightly wound neighbors, it is just noise.

The best part about Animal is that he LOVES to play the drums. I find that most Muppet or SS characters who absolutely love something are fan favorites. I, personally, love Oscar. And Oscar loves...trash! Many love Miss Piggy. And Miss Piggy loves...Kermit. I knew a lot of kids growing up who loved Cookie Monster. He loves...cookies! Go Animal! Do what you love, man.
  6. Marky

Marky Member

Yes.
    That's the whole point of the character.
    He's based on the Keith Moons, Mick Fleetwoods and John Bonhams of the day (mid 70's).
  7. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

I love how aniamal is based on all of that way cool that makes a lot of since !:) :halo: Love that wild sweet crazy aniamal
  8. Marky

Marky Member

You get it! Bingo!

That animal is a drummer, that drummer is an animal... Drummer = Animal. It's, like, scientific n' stuff.
  9. Kar Ma

Kar Ma New Member

Stereotypes

This is a perfect example of playing to stereotypes. BUT, despite that, I absolutely love Animal. Rock on, dude. :halo:
  10. Marky

Marky Member

BECAUSE of that, I love Animal. 'Stereotype' shouldn't always be a dirty word. In fact, some would be as bold as to go as far as saying that they are 'necessary' for 'character identification'.
  11. Kar Ma

Kar Ma New Member

I agree, to a point. When such stereotypes indicate prejudicial connotations then it can get messy. However, rock ' n ' roll has been notoriously synonomous with negative and/or crazy behavior, according to mainstream society. Animal fills the stereotype of breaking convention. It's just ironic that convention is responsible for pigeonholing stereotypes.
    :halo:
  12. muppet baby

scientific n' stuff yep that is true LOVE THAT ANIMAIAL :)
  13. Marky

Marky Member

Yep.

Animal.

Science.

Stereotype.

Chocolate Ice Cream.

Texas.
  14. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

:mad: Rock and/or Roll is the devil's music!

(a 16-ton weight falls from the rafters, and lands directly onto Leach)
  15. PhsychoChimp

PhsychoChimp New Member

I always thought of Animal as a mix between Oscar the Grouch and Floyd. He shares qualities of the two, ie: Oscar's shapped head, bushie brows, flexable neck, Floyd's hair style, slim figure, and slightly hunched back. Animal has been much more violent than Many muppet Monsters, even going so far as to physically assault people with a mallet, looking for there keys, played his drums so fast, he made them catch fire, suplexed an octopus, and I beleive, chased off a bunch of gathering monsters, at least once... And let Crazy Harry blow him up.

Animal's nature is probably being exposed to the likes of the Muppet Monsters, and Oz's comedy of acting like Cookie, who Animal shares almost the same vocal cords with.

As Gonzo was originaly a Monster, then a freak, what ever, weirdo, then Alien, Animal can be linked to a spazzing Hippy.

"
    Name six humans that look like Clifford.

You can't!"
    Scooter, Animal, Zoot, Beard, Marvin Suggs, Dr. Teeth, Skeeter! HA!
  16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I always thought of Clifford as a catfish-like humanoid.

I think Kermit called him a "Catfish-faced, purple-colored moptop" on Muppets Tonight.
  17. Marky

Marky Member

Indeed. In the restless early 70's way, as opposed to the peacenik late 60's way.
  18. muppet baby

I totally agree with you , that is so true either way aniamal is the coolest .:)
  19. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I may have an answer about Animal...

Well, I think we can all agree that Floyd would know more about Animal than anyone else, right?

Well, in the Lou Rawls ep of TMS, Lou meets up with Floyd and Animal. Lou wants to hire him for a gig and speak with him man to man.

Floyd: (blinks) "Man to man? This dude don't know Animal!"

Also in the sketch, Floyd says to think of Animal as "your basic primitive man."

That's probably as about a definitive answer as we're going to get.

Convincing John
  20. Marky

Marky Member

Floyd is the guy who takes him out for walks (The Muppet Movie)!

:sing: