1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Animal: Monster or... what?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by peyjenk, May 14, 2007.

1. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

So, is Animal considered one of the Muppet monsters?

If not, what is he? :halo:
  2. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

I never thought of Animal as a monster. I always considered him...well...an animal. I don't know what kind of animal...maybe an escapee from the Island of Dr. Moreau, but an animal all the same. Floyd seems to be his main handler, and often keeps him on a leash. He tells Animal to "sit" and "stay," as if he were a dog. And isn't Animal sometimes chained to his drumset? So if I had to guess, I'd say he was a highly intelligent animal (and the Muppets are full of highly intelligent animals). But I wouldn't consider him a monster.
  3. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Okay, but most of the Muppet animals are specific, recognizable animals. Anything that is otherwise is usually considered a monster, alien, etc. The line seems to be really fuzzy around Animal, though.
  4. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

He seems pretty Neanderthal-ish to me... but I think - because of his teeth, and the way his hair grows, mostly - he is a monster.
  5. janicegroupie

janicegroupie New Member

Ahh... the age old question. I really have no idea I just kinda accept that he's Animal and don't really think of him in a specific group. He's just himself. Sorry I'm not very helpful:halo:
  6. Winslow Leach

Yeah, I guess that's what I was trying to say in my post. I never thought about it one way or another. He's just Animal.
  7. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I agree that when it comes to Animal. He is just that, a personification of all that is our animal nature. I can see Neanderthal in him (although I don't believe in Evolution), it's possible that he's throw-back to then? I can also see, Muppet Monster traits in him...although they are usually more specifically monsterish than Animal.

A lot of people speculate that he is humanoid, the same as Zoot, Floyd, and Marvin Suggs.
  8. weredog

weredog New Member

Animal is just Animal I suppose. I've never really given much thought to his actual species.
  9. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I don't know! That's a toughie! ;)
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Animal kinda fits the scientific description of what we say Neanderthals would have looked like. Yeah, I've always seen him as just a very primitive, primal creature. Like, the name says it all! :halo:
  11. superboober

superboober Member

Perhaps Animal's another species of Whatever, one that several thousand years ago broke away from Gonzo's race and evolved into an Animal-esque being. :halo:
  12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

An alien? Ooh, I don't know about that. It's possible that he was a result of a test-tube experiment, however?

And have we considered the possibility of interspecies dating?
  13. Kar Ma

Kar Ma New Member

Animal might be not be specifically descript physically but we do not question his animal nature. If we want to talk shop, aka recognizable puppet features, then we should discuss Gonzo. How long did it take to figure out who he was and where he came from? At least with Animal his name and character are represenational of his personality, no matter what he looks like. Or, perhaps, we're trying to read too deeply into the animal of Animal. Even so, that's okay. It's fun to speculate.
  14. Winslow Leach

Not to get off subject, but I never considered Gonzo an alien, despite what MFS tells us.

Back on subject...(Leach *just* manages to hop on the bus before it pulls away)

Yeah, as I said before, I think Animal is Animal. It may not be much of an answer, but hey, neither is "a blade of grass" when one asks "what do you use to cut steak with?"
  15. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Yeah, I don't really think he "is" anything specific, either, I just thought it would be a fun discussion.

And, Leach, I agree with you: No matter what Muppets From Space tries to pull, Gonzo is still a whatever.
  16. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

You and me both man I really hated that and thought it cheapend Gonzo's character allot and made him allot less special. :(
  17. Winslow Leach

Always was, always will be!:)
  18. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

New question: What is Clifford? I swear he's a fish but Muppet Wiki tells me I'm wrong.
  19. Winslow Leach

It did cheapen Gonzo, like, okay he's weird-looking, so lets make him an alien.
  20. Winslow Leach

When I first saw Clifford on The Jim Henson Hour, I immediately thought of him as a human Muppet.