Another Movie remake of the Grinch... really?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And yet the Lorax sponsored a bunch of businesses XD

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But still, I think the inclusion of two "bad guys" with different motives kind of blurs the point they were trying to get across

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh I'm not saying it wasn't like that in the new movie. I'm just saying that it annoys me when the creators of these newer films put down the originals and act like they had to "fix" things.
I wouldn't say "Fix" so much as "pad." For someone who really dislike's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (I'll give it a shot one day... if it's on television and nothing else is on and I'm home that night and I don't have anything to do), the worst offender IMO is Polar Express. Horton, for whatever flaws it had (ending with the dreaded Cast singing and dancing to a pre-existing song...eeek) it was fun. And it had a beautiful look to it. Polar Express was the ugliest thing I've seen outside of bad 1980's CGI. It's dark, depressing, almost cult promoting in its message, and overall a total misfire. I really loved that old book, bed time story tone as it was (it's beautiful for that).

It's not so much about improvement as it is the perils of stretching a 22 page book that takes 6 minutes to read (at most) and making it a big budget 90 minute feature.

Still, Disney completely threw books away and did what they wanted to do. And forever reason, that actually worked! I LOVE the Jungle Book. It's one of my favorites, and it basically used the book as toilet paper because, as far as Disney was concerned, that's what it was good for in therms of movie production. And let's not forget Roger Rabbit shared a character's name and little else. It was such an improvement over the original book, the writer wrote a sequel to the movie and not his own book.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But still, I think the inclusion of two "bad guys" with different motives kind of blurs the point they were trying to get across
True, I was surprised that they added a new villain when they basically already had one built in. I guess that's a result of padding, as DrTooth said.

Btw, I did see the beginning of the film, so I wasn't lying or anything when I said I haven't seen the film, lol. Just to clarify that. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Still, Disney completely threw books away and did what they wanted to do. And forever reason, that actually worked! I LOVE the Jungle Book. It's one of my favorites, and it basically used the book as toilet paper because, as far as Disney was concerned, that's what it was good for in therms of movie production.
LOLOL, that is so true! :fanatic:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know how the heck they got the formula to work. Like I said on another thread, I shall never make fun of the live action 102 Dalmatians movie ever again, since the actual sequel to the book is much much worse than ANYTHING Disney could ever have cheapquelled. It had something to do with space alien dogs. That's too far fetched even for the cartoon series.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
So... is this really happening? I could understand if they did The Cat in the Hat again, like they were originally planning, because the 2003 atrocity has pretty much been forgotten. But the 2000 Grinch is still a really popular Christmas movie, and it seems odd that they're doing it again so soon.

For the record, none of the four Dr. Suess movies were really good movies. While I've certainly outgrown it and can now see it's many flaws, I still find the Ron Howard How the Grinch Stole Christmas enjoyable, and I'll continue to watch it every year at Christmastime. 2008's Horton Hears a Who was a generic, boring and forgettable CGI children's movie that left pretty much no impact on me. The Lorax, as much as I hate to say it, was a pretty enjoyable experience for me the first time around, though none of that carried on to my second viewing. And the Mike Myers Cat in the Hat... the less said about that mess, the better.

While I doubt that this new Grinch will be any good, and probably won't become a tradition for me like the previous two film versions, I'll still be seeing it when it comes out. If for nothing else, to see what they can do differently from the 2000 movie. I guess we'll see in 2014... or 2015... or whenever the heck this thing comes out.

SHAMELESS SUPERGODZILLA12 VIDEO PLUG!!!

Please be aware that these two videos feature some harsh language.​

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Funny, I enjoyed The Lorax more the second time I watched it. Mostly because the first time around I was telling myself to hate it, and ended up liking it :stick_out_tongue: You gotta admit, that animation style is perfect for Dr Seuss.

I didn't mind the Grinch when it was first released, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten more and more indifferent of it. It's not a HORRIBLE movie, but it's not really enjoyable.

Horton...eh. Again, I'm indifferent. I really hate Jojo. I thought he was just thrown in there so that self proclaimed emos would have someone to identify with and to make the movie more edgy. That faux anime thing they did was mind numbing.

The Cat in the Hat should not even exist. That is all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm practically the only person on this planet who actually LIKED The Cat in the Hat.

No, it's not the best movie there ever was, but it wasn't the worst either... in all honesty, I was battling my first bout of depression when the movie was released on DVD, and I found the movie to be pretty durn funny, so it was one of the few things that kind of numbed me to my depression, and lifted my spirit.

And again, Sarge hit the nail on the head regarding Jojo... it seems like the late 2000s was a brief period of time where the emo demographic was really more vocal than usual - I found it really unusual how certain fandoms like The Chipmunks had such a relatively good-sized emo following.

Then again, it seems like almost anymore, anything that has an ensemble to it has to include at least one goth/punk/emo character, and it's usually a girl... like that one hotels.com (I think) commercial where a family was trying to decide on a hotel to stay at, and the teenage emo daughter hated all of the hotels, except for the one where she saw a hot guy emerging from the pool. :stick_out_tongue: