Another Movie remake of the Grinch... really?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, really!

All because the Lorax was a hit, mind you. I thought Super Hero movies were the only things that needed multiple reboots. Can't wait to see how they'll screw this one up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, keep in mind, Dr. Seuss' estate HATED Ron Howard's live action back in 2000... in fact, they hated both that, and Universal's live action Cat in the Hat so much, they swore that live action remakes of Dr. Seuss' material would never be done again... in this case, they're probably trying to "make up" for the live action version.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, the live action one wasn't that bad. You just really have to like Jim Carrey to enjoy it, and I did back then. I liked some of the concepts they added to the story. Not so much over the classic book/special, but it was a pretty good alternate character interpretation. The fact his hatred of the Whos was provoked and he stole Christmas, not because he was annoyed by the Whos, but rather because he didn't think they deserved it and were being hypocritical. I actually liked that concept.

But that said, I don't see how they could stretch the story out to 90 minutes a different way. Chuck Jones barely was able to stretch it out to 30 minutes, and that's because he threw in some of his trademark Looney Tunes style gags and animation. Like the beginning portion where he was on his sleigh. Very Wile E. Coyote-esque.

Now I do hear tell they want to do a Cat in the Hat film down the line. That most assuredly needs a better film, perhaps this time meshing together both Cat in the Hat books to stretch it out. And I vote Martin Short as the voice of Cat in the Hat. He does a great job with the otherwise kinda dull and repetitive PBS cartoon.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The Lorax was only a hit because of the strange and psychotic Once-ler fanbase.

........says the person who's been using Once-ler avs for the last few weeks and listening to his villain song typing this :embarrassed:

*crawls into a corner*

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
On the subject of The Lorax, it's very rare I feel the urge to turn off a movie or walk out just because it got so bad. Even horrible movies like The Help and The Tree of Life I trudged through as much as I hated them, but in The Lorax, when this song started, I was tempted to walk out of the theater:

I will always consider The Lorax one of the worst movies I've ever seen period just for giving me that feeling.

That said, I'm not looking forward to this Grinch remake if it's going to be trying way too hard to be like Despicable Me or Shrek like the past Dr. Seuss animated adaptations have been. (Though to be fair, Horton Hears a Who had some terrific animation that was more memorable than the film was)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, Jojo and Jojo alone is really the only reason Horton was as successful as it was.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Now that's one I don't get. I get why people like the Once-ler. 95% of the fanbase like him for his green suit and looks alone.

I just like him cause he's a dork. Personality wise he's a more likable And more competent Scott Pilgrim.

But Jojo? Why? Because he's emo? :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, Jojo and Jojo alone is really the only reason Horton was as successful as it was.
I'd say Jim Carrey's name being attached to it was a big part of it. I liked it, but Steve Carrel, Amy Pohler, Carol Burnett, and ...well, everyone besides Jim Carrey carried the film. Not that I dislike him, of course... he's more memorable in live action. As a voice actor, he just sounds like Matt Frewer. They coulda got Matt for a fraction of the cost and no one would have known the diddly dong difference. But the animation was absolutely beautiful and the best part of the movie. The Anime sequence, while making no sense at all and being a Big Lipped Alligator Moment, had lush 2-D animation.

Never got around to seeing Lorax. I was fifty fifty about it and just skipped it. I've heard extremes on both sides. It's either a very good movie or the worst movie ever. That's a lot of swinging room. From the clips I've seen, I really dig the look of the film. But looks aren't everything (cough! Pocahontas).

Now if there's ONE Dr. Seuss project that's begging to be made into a movie (as long as they did it right), it's "Pontaffle Pock, Where are You?" The story had a lot of potential for a 90 minute film, and as much as I absolutely love the special in question (Joe Raposo did the music and actually sang one of the numbers) the special seems a bit condensed. They could stretch the Fairy man hunt for Pontaffle out alone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually agree with you on Pontoffel Pock... that one stands out among other Seuss stories, it had more of an actual plot you can follow, and didn't rely strictly on the rhyming, there was actual dialogue and conversation sprinkled throughout... not to mention what an adventurous story it is, it really could benefit from being expanded into a full-length movie, but as you say, ONLY if it's done right.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
On the subject of The Lorax, it's very rare I feel the urge to turn off a movie or walk out just because it got so bad. Even horrible movies like The Help and The Tree of Life I trudged through as much as I hated them, but in The Lorax, when this song started, I was tempted to walk out of the theater:
The original song that was going to be used in the movie is more of a rock opera style song. Personally, I'm not really sure what it is about the song you hate that much. No, it's not a masterpiece, but from a composition standpoint, musically it does a good job representing the Once-ler's downfall. The guitar becomes increasingly more distorted and his singing becomes increasingly more growling, complete with echo, the further into the song.

And before you say it's modern pop-rap crap, no. It reminds me of a more family friendly Run-DMC song. Very old-school rap vibe to it. :stick_out_tongue: