Another Movie remake of the Grinch... really?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
lol it's from the "How Bad Can I Be" song that everyone's been talking about in this thread XD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that the Seuss estate hated the live-action Grinch. I thought I heard that Audrey Geisel liked it when it came out. Maybe she's grown to dislike it after all these years, or maybe there's more people to the estate than just her. I knew that the estate dislikes the live-action Cat in the Hat, and I'm not upset that there's going to be a computer animated remake. I hope it gets a different expanded plot than the live-action movie.

I wonder if either CGI remake will have references to the live-action movies or even the original specials. Like inside jokes on how the public views the live-action version. I really liked the Grinch, and it seems a large number of fans liked it as well, but I don't know of anybody who liked The Cat in the Hta. I thought it was a very mediocre movie, it's so bad that Doug Walker (of "The Nostalgia Critic) has said that he doesn't think he can bring himself to watch the movie again for the sake of reviewing it.

As a voice actor, he just sounds like Matt Frewer. They coulda got Matt for a fraction of the cost and no one would have known the diddly dong difference.
This just gets me asking, did you know that Matt Frewer played The Cat in the Hat in the made-for-TV movie "In Search of Dr. Seuss"?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can understand liking it, but it felt extremely cliche to me. Oh he's just a villain because no one liked him. Yawn, it's been done.
Cliche, but it's a cliche rooted in truth. Some people who were bullied tend to get over it and lead happy lives, some are bitter, hateful, and regretful. I'm kinda the latter, so the movie did speak to me on that level. it's not so much the fact he became a villain because he was ostracized that got to me, but rather how hollow and completely insecure their holiday joy was. The Grinch's best part in the movie was the big The Reason You Suck speak to the townsfolk about how shallow they are about the holiday. I especially love the bit about the girls who asked for a pony and got bored with it and sent it to the glue factory. it's so sad that a cynical truth has to come out of a hammy comedian in a remake movie, but it's a harsh truth and a good message.

Still, nothing over the original at all.

I really hope we have good character designs for the CGI version. I REALLY hated that ugly Grinch they still use to this day for merchandising. Bad a movie as The Cat in the Hat was, they did the smart thing and made the characters look like the book illustrations, so you could just get some of the merchandise and pretend the movie never existed.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Personally, I enjoyed the Lorax movie, but I have a history going back years with the Lorax, ever since I saw the original pen and paper animated version on Earth Day when I was younger. It made me so depressed that me and a friend of mine had to write a sequel and give it to our school counselor, but I loved it just the same.

The CGI movie was interesting; I liked how they made the Onceler more humanized, and the scene where the Lorax accidentally pushes him over a waterfall as fish sing a funeral dirge is just hysterical.

But the Grinch? Really? The live action version was decent enough-another version seems superfluous. I'm afraid they're just going to burn themselves out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know... I think this is an analogy that fits another Green guy... The Hulk. The first Hulk movie did so so, and there was quite a burn out on merchandise. People were very mixed about it, and wanted a better one. A few years later, they made another Hulk movie that tried to fix the mistakes of the first one. It too didn't do too well either. Then came The Avengers, and suddenly they didn't have to overthink the character. THAT film was a hit.

They're clearly making another Grinch to try to make a better movie, but I don't think there's too much they can improve upon.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Cliche, but it's a cliche rooted in truth. Some people who were bullied tend to get over it and lead happy lives, some are bitter, hateful, and regretful. I'm kinda the latter, so the movie did speak to me on that level. it's not so much the fact he became a villain because he was ostracized that got to me, but rather how hollow and completely insecure their holiday joy was.
I think if they wanted to have those themes in an original story I wouldn't have minded. But the depiction of the Who's was just plain insulting to Dr. Seuss' original story. Hollywood needs to get its own ideas and not deface other people's, lol.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know... I think this is an analogy that fits another Green guy... The Hulk. The first Hulk movie did so so, and there was quite a burn out on merchandise. People were very mixed about it, and wanted a better one.
I remember seeing The Hulk the day before it came out. I had been hired at a movie theater that had just opened, and after a few VIP nights management decided to let us employees see the movie for free the night before it came out. I saw it, even though I hadn't read the Incredible Hulk books or seen the series, and I was bored with it... and everyone else who saw the movie with me felt the same way (not sure if they were fans or not). We all felt it spent too much time building up to the main character becoming the Hulk. I have the same problem with Batman Begins (which I actually saw in the theater twice), but I still feel that's a better movie, because it's Batman. Despite that I haven't seen The Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises because I thought Batman Begins was so boring (though I'm starting to suspect those might be a lot better than Batman Begins).