1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Bananas in Pajamas, eh?

As stupid as that show seems, I think the problem was it was all a bunch of cultural gags thrown together that just didn't make any sense stateside. It's like that Monty Python skit no one ever recites or references because no one can make heads or tails of it to remember it. You know, like "The Piranha Brothers." The one about the dangerous criminals that were chased by a police Constable that went undercover as an actor in local theater, and then one of the Brothers became paranoid of a giant hedgehog named Spiny Norman.

You see, we all chalk that up to just random silliness, and we rather just keep requoting Dead Parrot, Spam, and everything from the Holy Grail movie.

That's what Bananas in Pajamas is. Brits being extremely silly, making a silly concept, and turning it into a kid's show. Some of it is so cultural that it just doesn't make sense at all over here. That's why we only get certain anime, and even when we do, they redub half the jokes so we understand them. Some things just don't translate. That show certainly didn't. I think kids liked it because they got the raw silliness of the concept.
  2. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Still it was a show I could've definitely lived without. The theme song drove me bananas. :p
  3. dwmckim Well-Known Member

But were you in your pajamas at the time? If so, then mission accomplished!
  4. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

No I wasn't. Lol!
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Intended or unintended pun.

By no means did that show make any sense on any level. I don't even see how they could have sold the concept. I guess they just said "British Barney" and they saw dollar signs. All I can remember is that the 2 Bananas acted like idiots and there was a Rat and Bears.

Some British member has to come in and sort this out for us.
  6. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I watched the preview. Ow. Those characters look like the offspring of Fraggles and Gorgs, but without the charm of either race.
  7. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually, they look more like the offspring of ugly walkaround costumes of local amusement parks and the insane drawings of a Kindergarten Mad Man kid.
  8. mr3urious Well-Known Member

The show is actually Australian.
  9. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I saw that show! I thought it was cute!
  10. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who literally LOVED that show?! It was really really good in my opinion! I am 100% serious just so you know.
  11. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Do you mean Baby Geniuses? Because if so then YES YES YES YES YES! In Addams Family he was funny! In Who Framed Roger Rabbit he was pretty scary! In that move neither.
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Naw, I was referring to tenth party animated abomination "Fly me to the Moon" about flies that want to go to the moon, and the entire concept is based off a terrible pun on an archaic pop song. But on the plus side, they made a bunch of references to Back to the Future. At least they let people remember that they used to make GOOD movies.

WOW! For reallies? Yeah, now I can't explain it. I know nothing of Australian kid's television except for Blinky bill... but I think that's German, so I'm completely confused.

Still... the Rat was wasted on a lame show like Bananas in Pajamas. I kinda liked that guy.
  13. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a total ripoff! The names are even the same! J. Edgar, Ruffy, and Goboy were all names on the show!
  14. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Oh yes! I didn't hate it, but it was pretty bad. Where were the references to Back to The Future? Did these things exist beforehand or is it just a My Bedbugs ripoff?
  15. MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Watching that trailer made me wanna throw up. What an abomination to young educational entertainment.........:attitude: (In other words, that movie looks like it's going to suck.)
    Drtooth likes this.
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was trying to say. There are wonderful flights of fancy in kid's entertainment. This is just a cynical attempt to make the next something that no one cares about, even for a nostalgia factor.

But also, that's what's so funny about it, too! Everything is so generic, the characters are tropes and not even cleverly hidden in anyway.

I mean, the girl is the girly girl, there's the tough action extreme boy, and kid with glasses, possibly the relatively smart one. And if he is the smart one, he's going to throw around the word "calculations" a billion times per sentence.

And the way they talk... UGH! There's nothing wrong with making up goofy sounding words... but must there be so much of them?
    Muppet fan 123 and MissMusical12 like this.
  17. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Apparently yes there must be. :p
  18. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

And theysaid interactive like it's a good thing! By the way welcome MissMusical12 to Muppet Central!
  19. mo Well-Known Member

this crap is scary.
    Drtooth likes this.
  20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Seriously. There IS no argument about this appealing to children. It's frightening on so many levels.
    mo likes this.