Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bananas in Pajamas, eh?

As stupid as that show seems, I think the problem was it was all a bunch of cultural gags thrown together that just didn't make any sense stateside. It's like that Monty Python skit no one ever recites or references because no one can make heads or tails of it to remember it. You know, like "The Piranha Brothers." The one about the dangerous criminals that were chased by a police Constable that went undercover as an actor in local theater, and then one of the Brothers became paranoid of a giant hedgehog named Spiny Norman.

You see, we all chalk that up to just random silliness, and we rather just keep requoting Dead Parrot, Spam, and everything from the Holy Grail movie.

That's what Bananas in Pajamas is. Brits being extremely silly, making a silly concept, and turning it into a kid's show. Some of it is so cultural that it just doesn't make sense at all over here. That's why we only get certain anime, and even when we do, they redub half the jokes so we understand them. Some things just don't translate. That show certainly didn't. I think kids liked it because they got the raw silliness of the concept.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The theme song drove me bananas. :stick_out_tongue:
Intended or unintended pun.

By no means did that show make any sense on any level. I don't even see how they could have sold the concept. I guess they just said "British Barney" and they saw dollar signs. All I can remember is that the 2 Bananas acted like idiots and there was a Rat and Bears.

Some British member has to come in and sort this out for us.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I watched the preview. Ow. Those characters look like the offspring of Fraggles and Gorgs, but without the charm of either race.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I watched the preview. Ow. Those characters look like the offspring of Fraggles and Gorgs, but without the charm of either race.
Actually, they look more like the offspring of ugly walkaround costumes of local amusement parks and the insane drawings of a Kindergarten Mad Man kid.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Intended or unintended pun.

By no means did that show make any sense on any level. I don't even see how they could have sold the concept. I guess they just said "British Barney" and they saw dollar signs. All I can remember is that the 2 Bananas acted like idiots and there was a Rat and Bears.

Some British member has to come in and sort this out for us.
The show is actually Australian.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Still it was a show I could've definitely lived without. The theme song drove me bananas. :stick_out_tongue:
Am I the only one who literally LOVED that show?! It was really really good in my opinion! I am 100% serious just so you know.