Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's in the works, so they say, and they also say that they plan to use Mario as a character.
Awesome! There's still a lot to explore in the world of WiR, and a lot of concepts they never had time for in the first. That Sims/GTA mashup cut from the first especially sounds interesting.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yeah, the "Extreme Easy Living 2" scenario had possibilities, but it wouldn't have made any sense, as it's a Sims-style game, which would not work in an arcade. If they expanded the world to include consoles and/or smartphone games, then it'd work.

I want to see more of the world of WIR, but I want them to take their time and do it right. WIR was over 30 years in the making, after all!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yeah, the "Extreme Easy Living 2" scenario had possibilities, but it wouldn't have made any sense, as it's a Sims-style game, which would not work in an arcade. If they expanded the world to include consoles and/or smartphone games, then it'd work.
If they explore the world of consoles, handhelds, and mobile games in the sequel, then it would definitely work.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say that there's a HUGE plot hole, or at least conceptual gap in the fact that these characters come from a single arcade, especially when you wonder about what happens with the other multiples of the same character in other arcades, not to mention those home consoles. I'd give the Gamefly commercial credit for Ralph's bewilderment by the concept of playing games at home.

Not to mention the fridge horror of other arcades that unplug games, some permanently closed down. That would be a nice concept to explore.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know that. Sonic stinks, in my opinion, and it's so stupid that I would never go near that game. I would MUCH rather play Mario. It would be the same with the movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember there was a Sonic the Hedgehog movie rumor in the 90's... back before the internet and you actually had to hear these on actual news stories. It sounded completely idiotic and had something to do with a baldness cure. Suffice to say, glad they didn't make it. Then there's the Sonic movie that the SATAM show runners wanted to make. Yeah, that barely went anywhere past the intention stage. Shame... that one would have been epic. Probably beautifully 2-D animated.

On the subject of stupid movies... did we really need a third Dumb and Dumber movie?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
back before the internet and you actually had to hear these on actual news stories.
Ahhh yes, I remember. News like that always seemed so much more exciting somehow because it was harder to come by. You had to wait, as opposed to the whole instant click societywe have now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then of course, the info we would get was either late or inaccurate. Half the time a movie was announced, it was barely a rumbling. At least now, we have those who can confirm a rumor is just a rumor. Like that Labron James Space Jam 2. That was thankfully dispelled rather quickly.

Not that we don't have unconfirmed rumors or mumblings, but with the internet you can track things. The positive side is, you don't wind up expecting to see a movie that doesn't happen. Like with Imagi's Gatchaman. That would have truly been a disappointment to hear about it coming, but not the big bankruptcy of the studio and expecting it to happen.

Then again, when they blow the big surprises of the movies by telegraphing them before the film gets made. I mean, say what you will about Amazing Spider-Man 2, but their worst choice was posting all over that they planned to kill Gwen Stacy in the sequel barely a month after the first one was in theaters. Way to kill the impact, Sony. No wonder everyone hated it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Then again, when they blow the big surprises of the movies by telegraphing them before the film gets made.
The only thing that bothers me is when audiences know a character can never die because they read in Entertainment Weekly the actor is signed for the next 5 movies, lol. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway, it makes you wonder how hard the Farrelly Brothers twisted Jim Carry's arm to break his "no sequels" rule. I mean, considering the freaking clustersmurf that befell The Mask 2 (by which, the delayed production that lead to one of the worst films of all time, and left a Nintendo contest winner prize-less).

Was it because Dumb and Dumberer was that bad, or just that it was the only film he remembered fondly to do a long delayed sequel to? Anyway, I never really cared much for this compared to The Mask or Ace Ventura... especially the cartoon show. Not that I didn't kinda like it, but I just don't see the need for either of the follow up films.