Any Bronies on here?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I
And on the bright side, the rule 34 will be slightly less disgusting. Thanks, rule 34, for making anyone who likes any cartoon a slobbering pervert.
I dunno. Like I was trying to dance around in my post, I would think it would get more disturbing...*shrugs*

Maybe its just me being dirty or thinking too hard about it, but now that there are official human versions, it will make it seem ok on the surface to sexualize them, but they are still ponies...they were just turned human...

The nly thing I don't like about the trailer is just how strange all the humans look, ponies included. There's just something about the art style that doesn't work with humans...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rule 34 sucks no matter what cartoon they use (though, I guess something along the lines of Archer or something realistic with adult characters wouldn't be too bad). But it really seems they make a special case for MLP, specifically to say that any adult male that likes a little girl's show must have some sexual reasons for it, rather than the sharp writing intended so fathers could watch it with their little girls sober. I'm glad that by extension, they don't label everyone who's a grown man watching cartoons a pervert.

I've seen things I can't unsee, and dirty versions of Gadget Hackwrench and the Cattillac Cats from Heathcliff are just as disturbing as semi-anthro ponies anyway. How come they don't go after those guys either? I'm annoyed as a Rescue Ranger and Heathcliff fan that this stuff exists.

But getting to the main point... this is a girl's franchise just as Transformers is a 10 year old boy franchise (10 year old boys get the best cartoons). it can have fans and adult collectors that are relatively rational and sane. The human versions of the ponies serve to sell Barbie style dolls to little girls and that's that. Hasbro clearly wants part of the fashion doll craze. Meanwhile, Hasbro has 2 of the top original boy's toy lines (Transformers and G.I. Joe), while Mattel's only boy original action figure property is He-Man. And other than 30 year olds who like the show nostalgically, there's nothing there.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Rule 34 sucks no matter what cartoon they use (though, I guess something along the lines of Archer or something realistic with adult characters wouldn't be too bad). But it really seems they make a special case for MLP, specifically to say that any adult male that likes a little girl's show must have some sexual reasons for it, rather than the sharp writing intended so fathers could watch it with their little girls sober. I'm glad that by extension, they don't label everyone who's a grown man watching cartoons a pervert.

I've seen things I can't unsee, and dirty versions of Gadget Hackwrench and the Cattillac Cats from Heathcliff are just as disturbing as semi-anthro ponies anyway. How come they don't go after those guys either? I'm annoyed as a Rescue Ranger and Heathcliff fan that this stuff exists.

But getting to the main point... this is a girl's franchise just as Transformers is a 10 year old boy franchise (10 year old boys get the best cartoons). it can have fans and adult collectors that are relatively rational and sane. The human versions of the ponies serve to sell Barbie style dolls to little girls and that's that. Hasbro clearly wants part of the fashion doll craze. Meanwhile, Hasbro has 2 of the top original boy's toy lines (Transformers and G.I. Joe), while Mattel's only boy original action figure property is He-Man. And other than 30 year olds who like the show nostalgically, there's nothing there.
Hot Wheels is the other original Mattel boys' toy line that still enjoys popularity, owned and manufactured by Mattel since 1968.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hot Wheels aren't an action figure.

Mattel does not have an originally owned action figure, and has licensed toys filling out that need. I.e. The DC line. Whereas Hasbro has Transformers and G.I. Joe, they also have licenses for Star Wars and Marvel.

Mattel's main self own action figure line is He-Man, and other than the failed 2003 revival and collectors editions of the characters, there really isn't much of a presence there. Oddly enough there are He-Man toys at general retail... made by Funko.

Basically, Hasbro does not have a fashion doll line, Mattel doesn't have an action figure line that isn't licensed by another company. They want to bring He-Man back, and there's supposedly a movie in the very early stages. If they're successful, they could make the He-Man brand their main competitor to Hasbro's Transformers and G.I. Joes.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am not a brony. I don't watch Friendship is Magic (it helps that I don't have The Hub, but I'm not very likely to pick up the DVDs, either), and didn't watch the original series much (I know I watched the original at least once or twice). However, until recently I didn't know what the term "Brony" meant.

In fact, after I saw those "Ask a Fraggle" segments online, when the Fraggles were clueless as to what a brony was, when Gobo said "friendship is magic" I wondered if that was meant to be a reference or just a coincidence he said it. But then I got online and looked up the term "Brony", learned that it's what My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fans are called, and I guess the line was intentional (while Gobo and Red were just as clueless as I was).

mr3urious

Reaction score
I just saw Equestria Girls, and I thought it was pretty good. It had some nice character development with Twilight and some heartwarming moments, and the same writing quality I expected from the show is here, too. However, it does play a lot of high school tropes straight (I wish they would have at least played around with some of them), and the romance part with Twilight could have been developed a little more, but... there is a nice tease in the end that this romance could develop more over time in Equestria.

There are also complaints from parents about how provocative the girls look and how rail thin they are, but I think their outfits look more modest compared to something like Bratz. Plus, I believe Hasbro is responding to the issue of their lack of curves.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bratz are the worst things ever. Their cartoon was absolutely horrific, they're MADE of the lame promiscuous little girl fad that came out of the late 90's/early 00's. And as much as I still dislike what Hanna Montana did to animation, I'm glad that show broke that fad. Wasn't there supposedly a lawsuit that was supposed to stop MGA from selling Bratz?

Anyway, I don't buy they're the same problem. Are the humanized versions of the girls not like an ideal human being? yes. But the horse versions of them don't exactly look like horses. Cartoon horses, maybe... I kinda find Rainbow Dash's ghastly blue skin a might disturbing. Figures, they went into a parallel dimension parallel to Doug. Betchya half the fans complaining about it actually liked it. And clearly, rule 34... but they had human versions of them as rule 34 long before this was a merchandising tie in in Hasbro's eye.

But the Hasbro show I care most about, Transformers Prime, has disappointingly ended. And Hasbro has been cryptic on any plans for the next Transformers series. I know it's a complete impossibility, but I wish they'd do a continuation of Transformers Animated. JUST for the Townsend Coleman SentTicknel Prime and Weird Al as Wreckgar.

But whatever the next series is, I want to see Wreckgar and Grimlock in it. Those two were sadly missing from TP.

mr3urious

Reaction score
But the Hasbro show I care most about, Transformers Prime, has disappointingly ended. And Hasbro has been cryptic on any plans for the next Transformers series. I know it's a complete impossibility, but I wish they'd do a continuation of Transformers Animated. JUST for the Townsend Coleman SentTicknel Prime and Weird Al as Wreckgar.
It is getting a TV movie called Predacons Rising.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the series finale.

I guess they're trying to edge it out of the way due to the 4th movie coming out next year, and how said movies always push any other merchandise off of shelves (only to sit there forever after). But that's the retailers fault, not Hasbro's.

Still think the next series should feature Wreckgar. If they can't get Weird Al or Eric Idle back (they actually tried to get him back for TFA, but he was busy with Spamalot), I think John Oliver could pull it off. And we really need Grimlock back.