Anyone Find The Lack Of Muppet Merch Disturbing?

Muppetkid98

Reaction score
I too noticed a lack of Muppet merch, but I am not worried at all. Disney knows what they are doing, and I am confident that we will all be extremely happy in the end.:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Would be nice to have more merchandise, but I find it MORE disturbing that this kind of stuff tends to be made in China.
You mean sweat shops. I dont like the government of China, but its more or less the factories used. I mean just google Foxcon and the Apple factory in China to see what workers go through.

But its best not think about how your meal(if it has beef, fowl, or pork) was made or where your stuff comes from. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
I'm chosing to look at the delicious donut of muppety goodness rather than the hole. :insatiable:
Well its clear, Disney is having an "oh crap" moment perhaps and realizing that yes, people want muppet stuff. Someone posted an email they received stating a slew of new products will hit in march or april with the dvd. that makes sense. I agree this is a trial balloon.

My and others chagrin is that untested new franchises are flooding the market with products...which doesnt make sense. In a way tho, it mirrors the movie...the network didnt think anyone would watch, but then they were proven wrong.

Im just kind of surprised at the level of no merchandise going on is all. I did pick up the new beaker knitted cap at spencers which is nice. Its just odd seeing muppets being this big thing now and the holiday shopping madness, and you dont see many offerings. Though...it does make the few out there fun to spot

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well its clear, Disney is having an "oh crap" moment perhaps and realizing that yes, people want muppet stuff. Someone posted an email they received stating a slew of new products will hit in march or april with the dvd. that makes sense. I agree this is a trial balloon.

My and others chagrin is that untested new franchises are flooding the market with products...which doesnt make sense. In a way tho, it mirrors the movie...the network didnt think anyone would watch, but then they were proven wrong.

Im just kind of surprised at the level of no merchandise going on is all. I did pick up the new beaker knitted cap at spencers which is nice. Its just odd seeing muppets being this big thing now and the holiday shopping madness, and you dont see many offerings. Though...it does make the few out there fun to spot
You keep saying there's "no merchandise" when in fact there is. We've mentioned countless times that there are two new albums, a slew of shirts, character plushes, character puppets, caps, snuggies, key chains, Walgreens holiday Kermits, electronic devices, books, stickers, Whatnot building kits and much more! That is not "no merchandise" and I don't think Disney is having an "oh crap" moment. They're having an "oh, wow" moment in seeing a future in this stuff. Sure, the market isn't saturated with Muppets yet. But there's LOTS OF STUFF!!!

It makes perfect sense that newer, CG-based properties with no track record get more merchandise. Everyone wants to latch their wagon to the new stuff. A year ago, when such deals are made for film promotions, licensors only had the past track record for Muppets so it makes sense they didn't want to jump on board at that time. You're looking at this as one fan and not as a company or license holder.

Drtooth

Reaction score
ugly movies like smurfs, yogi bear, etc got more merchandise. As you said, happy feet, arthur christmas(isnt there already a cartoon called arthur and a comedy film series called arthur?) and others have all sorts of toys and merch.

How the heck can movies like g-force, arthur christmas, planet 51 and countless other lame films that have no built in audience and are just forced down peoples throat get kids stuff in stores? But a franchise beloved for almost 60 years thats muscle machine Disney's main tentpole of the holiday season get zippo?
If it makes you feel better, I was at TRU yesterday and , considering this is Black Friday and the store was a total freaking mess and most of the good stuff was picked over, the Arthur Christmas stuff didn't make a dent. It's like everyone avoided that aisle completely. Heck, The Happy Feet stuff wasn't doing all that well, but it looked like Arthur Christmas toys had an electric barrier surrounding them or something. No one even attempted to touch it. But then again, those characters are ugly anyway.

Yeah. I also think Disney's treatment of the plush, mugs and other items in their stores and themeparks demonstrates their faith in the Muppets. However, they can't be the only ones to manufacture goods so they're waiting for retail demand. I think that's coming. Retailers are scared of peg warmers now more than ever.
It's the presence outside the Disney Store that bugs me. I'm not looking for huge things, myself... other than the fact I'm impatiently waiting a couple months for the Pez... but even then, that's as a Pez collector. It does seem like it's the retailer and license holders that don't give a crap, not Disney. First off, they're not movies based on toy lines based on comic books based on toy lines like everything in a Target Boy's section. I was REALLY refreshed to see things like Phineas and Ferb and Adventure Time (that's doing very well) that are TV shows only. I so miss when we had toys based on cartoon series instead of hit or miss movie merchandise.

It makes perfect sense that newer, CG-based properties with no track record get more merchandise. Everyone wants to latch their wagon to the new stuff. A year ago, when such deals are made for film promotions, licensors only had the past track record for Muppets so it makes sense they didn't want to jump on board at that time. You're looking at this as one fan and not as a company or license holder.
Yeah, screw tried and true... a future 5 dollar bin cartoon movie's where the money is... (looks at STILL unsold Area 51 merchandise). That's why retailers and licensees are losing money like no one's business, and refuse to take a shot with something better. Seriously, even it the movie did well, who would WANT Arthur Christmas stuff? On the other hand Puss in Boots got nothing, which was a shock. I'd at least see kids playing with Puss and Kitty action figures. I agree... stores are so afraid of peg warmers, but they're so afraid of peg warmers that they only wind up with Peg warmers. I don't know how many times I can sell the fact that Terminator Salvation toys got an even colder reception than the horrid movie. It took 2 years to reach the inevitable destination of the Dollar Stores.

Yet, The Scooby-Doo stuff always sells. I keep seeing the Buddy packs, plush and goo pods disappear from the shelves. Of course, they have a nice low price point to begin with. These overpriced, dinky figures... even of big licenses are having trouble selling. And I'm sick of hearing "Recession" as an excuse to everything. Toy prices rose sharply in the last 2 years alone. Sonic the Hedgehog minifigures that were 6 bucks 2 years ago are like 10 now.

beaker

Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I was at TRU yesterday and , considering this is Black Friday and the store was a total freaking mess and most of the good stuff was picked over, the Arthur Christmas stuff didn't make a dent. It's like everyone avoided that aisle completely. Heck, The Happy Feet stuff wasn't doing all that well, but it looked like Arthur Christmas toys had an electric barrier surrounding them or something. No one even attempted to touch it. But then again, those characters are ugly anyway.
Like Twilight receiving terrible reviews, and kids looking very disappointed after walking out of Happy Feet, Hugo and Arthur(I felt like saying "aw man, ya shoulda gone to see the Muppets!") it brings me a measure of satisfaction.

Also to Frogboy, Im sorry...I meant to say "exciting" merchandise. There's the merchandise that already would be in stores. Its about the level of 1996/1997 as far as Muppet stuff in stores.

Itll all be a moot point next year, Im sure we can all agree on that. Hopefully Disney is having amigraine over families wondering where all the cool merch is for kids.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Like Twilight receiving terrible reviews, and kids looking very disappointed after walking out of Happy Feet, Hugo and Arthur(I felt like saying "aw man, ya shoulda gone to see the Muppets!") it brings me a measure of satisfaction.

Also to Frogboy, Im sorry...I meant to say "exciting" merchandise. There's the merchandise that already would be in stores. Its about the level of 1996/1997 as far as Muppet stuff in stores.

Itll all be a moot point next year, Im sure we can all agree on that. Hopefully Disney is having amigraine over families wondering where all the cool merch is for kids.
It seems like you're taking the lack of a total merchandise explosion harder than anyone else. I don't see this as just a movie or a flash in the pan opportunity for the Muppets. Disney is carefully and consciously setting up a lifelong brand! That's so much more exciting than some forgettable seasonal penguin plushes. I used to hate it when the only Muppet merch we got was at Christmastime. I mean, to me this isn't just a Muppet movie. We're returning to a time when Muppets were part of our environment. When Kermit and Fozzie would show up on Nightline just to shoot the breeze about the stock market with Ted Koppel for no other reason than the fact that these characters live and breath in the world and that's what everybody decided to do that day. When you'd go to the drug store and pick up school supplies with Muppets on spiral ring notebooks reenacting moments in history that were not tied to any current project. This is why I'm not worried. If the Muppets don't achieve some level of retail dominance this time next year then I'll be the first to sign a petition to Disney. I just think it's coming and in a permanent way. :smile:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Thank god some one said somthing!!! thanks Jamie!:wink:
Beaker is always complaining on the MC boards! :grr:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
if i was to complain about one thing its that i want a Sweetums plush

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
i dont mind the complaing...its just that he does waaaaaaay TO MUCH of it!