Anyone Find The Lack Of Muppet Merch Disturbing?

beaker

Reaction score
It seems like you're taking the lack of a total merchandise explosion harder than anyone else. I don't see this as just a movie or a flash in the pan opportunity for the Muppets. Disney is carefully and consciously setting up a lifelong brand! That's so much more exciting than some forgettable seasonal penguin plushes. I used to hate it when the only Muppet merch we got was at Christmastime. I mean, to me this isn't just a Muppet movie. We're returning to a time when Muppets were part of our environment. When Kermit and Fozzie would show up on Nightline just to shoot the breeze about the stock market with Ted Koppel for no other reason than the fact that these characters live and breath in the world and that's what everybody decided to do that day. When you'd go to the drug store and pick up school supplies with Muppets on spiral ring notebooks reenacting moments in history that were not tied to any current project. This is why I'm not worried. If the Muppets don't achieve some level of retail dominance this time next year then I'll be the first to sign a petition to Disney. I just think it's coming and in a permanent way. :smile:
Oh man, you're bringing me back to all my fond memories of the early, mid and late 1980's when Muppets were truly everywhere. Im so grateful to have lived in that time period. Indeed, we've been kind of shoehorned into thinking seasonally or merch only when a film comes out. I see what you're saying. Part of the cultural landscape indeed.

Well this will be the last time you hear any complaints from me...I sometimes tend to not see the big picture.

The fact is, Im hearing so many accounts of non Muppet fans/casual fans now obsessively seeing the film. So many families 0-80 years plus are going. I mean I kid you not, wearing my muppet shirts(including yours) and muppet hats, its not unusual to get 50 complements/comments in one day. on the bus, walking about, at the mall, crossing the street. i dont see that happening with people wearing pixar/disney or looney tunes shirts.

This film is awakening and stirring something within so much of the population and hopefully it'll just go super nova...especially when it his foreign markets and north american dvd.

beaker

Reaction score
Thank god some one said somthing!!! thanks Jamie!:wink:
Beaker is always complaining on the MC boards! :grr:
Mostly the lack of merchandise. Like most people I have very little too complain about the film itself. But clearly I wasnt the only one wondering where the goods were.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh man, you're bringing me back to all my fond memories of the early, mid and late 1980's when Muppets were truly everywhere. Im so grateful to have lived in that time period. Indeed, we've been kind of shoehorned into thinking seasonally or merch only when a film comes out. I see what you're saying. Part of the cultural landscape indeed.

Well this will be the last time you hear any complaints from me...I sometimes tend to not see the big picture.

The fact is, Im hearing so many accounts of non Muppet fans/casual fans now obsessively seeing the film. So many families 0-80 years plus are going. I mean I kid you not, wearing my muppet shirts(including yours) and muppet hats, its not unusual to get 50 complements/comments in one day. on the bus, walking about, at the mall, crossing the street. i dont see that happening with people wearing pixar/disney or looney tunes shirts.

This film is awakening and stirring something within so much of the population and hopefully it'll just go super nova...especially when it his foreign markets and north american dvd.
I really think we're reaching a new renaissance for the Muppets. That's why I'm so passionate about how skillful this relaunch campaign has been. Disney's definitely trying to create a lifestyle brand with the Muppets instead of just a seasonal fad. Things won't be exactly the same as when we grew up, but there will be a lot of different new stuff added to the heap over time. This is a slow-cook of a plan. Or at least that's how I'm seeing it from all the evidence.

Ooooh! And one of the kids in the theater where I saw "The Muppets" was clutching a brand new Kermit (one of the relatively nicer, non talking ones) that is available at almost every Walgreens. That part is exactly as it should be! :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
You keep saying there's "no merchandise" when in fact there is. We've mentioned countless times that there are two new albums, a slew of shirts, character plushes, character puppets, caps, snuggies, key chains, Walgreens holiday Kermits, electronic devices, books, stickers, Whatnot building kits and much more! That is not "no merchandise" and I don't think Disney is having an "oh crap" moment. They're having an "oh, wow" moment in seeing a future in this stuff. Sure, the market isn't saturated with Muppets yet. But there's LOTS OF STUFF!!!

It makes perfect sense that newer, CG-based properties with no track record get more merchandise. Everyone wants to latch their wagon to the new stuff. A year ago, when such deals are made for film promotions, licensors only had the past track record for Muppets so it makes sense they didn't want to jump on board at that time. You're looking at this as one fan and not as a company or license holder.
I know this was to Beaker, but just jumping in on it. Yes there is generic Muppet merchandise but as far as licensed Merch for "The Muppets - Movie" theres an album, a poster and not much else. I don't really agree they had to earn their place back - its a massive multi million dollar Disney movie for the holidays, it was a no brainer there should have been more interest in it licensing wise. Especially as the public buzz for this was quite good from way back. Obviously it was the case though people turned it down, and as you say, with the success of the movie, i'm sure that will change now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know this was to Beaker, but just jumping in on it. Yes there is generic Muppet merchandise but as far as licensed Merch for "The Muppets - Movie" theres an album, a poster and not much else. I don't really agree they had to earn their place back - its a massive multi million dollar Disney movie for the holidays, it was a no brainer there should have been more interest in it licensing wise. Especially as the public buzz for this was quite good from way back. Obviously it was the case though people turned it down, and as you say, with the success of the movie, i'm sure that will change now.
As I said before, we rarely get movie specific merchandise outside posters and soundtracks at the time of a movie's release. At least, with the first 3 movies... We got a couple kids meals with MCC, MTI, MFS, and a really obscure one at DQ for KSY. OZ got Nanco plush that were only sold in one store, before being dumped into unwinnable crane machines. Movie specific characters are even rarer (though, the only major Movie specific characters in the first 3 movies were the Frog marketing department in MTM)... I do not count any Palisades toys, as those came out years later... but then again, Muppets don't need a movie to make merchandise. T-Shirts are always there... baseball caps... all that stuff.

I really think we're reaching a new renaissance for the Muppets. That's why I'm so passionate about how skillful this relaunch campaign has been. Disney's definitely trying to create a lifestyle brand with the Muppets instead of just a seasonal fad. Things won't be exactly the same as when we grew up, but there will be a lot of different new stuff added to the heap over time. This is a slow-cook of a plan. Or at least that's how I'm seeing it from all the evidence.
I don't know who said it, but someone found news that much more will hit once the DVD drops in a few months. I'm sure we'll see a little more when the movie hits the international market. Disney does want to make this a major lifebrand franchise, and I think they're doing it... a snail's pace, but weird small stuff is starting to pop up. Still, waiting for some sort of PVC line will take some time, and that's the thing I would have wanted the most... hopefully we'll see smaller plush as well. It's not about money so much it is space. I'd love each and every plush Disney sells, even Piggy, but the space I have is ridiculous... I'm going to have to make a crapload of room and move things around for days just for Pepe.

Luke

Reaction score
As I said before, we rarely get movie specific merchandise outside posters and soundtracks at the time of a movie's release. At least, with the first 3 movies... We got a couple kids meals with MCC, MTI, MFS, and a really obscure one at DQ for KSY. OZ got Nanco plush that were only sold in one store, before being dumped into unwinnable crane machines. Movie specific characters are even rarer (though, the only major Movie specific characters in the first 3 movies were the Frog marketing department in MTM)... I do not count any Palisades toys, as those came out years later... but then again, Muppets don't need a movie to make merchandise. T-Shirts are always there... baseball caps... all that stuff.
Yeah agreed, if the plan is a lifelong brand they may prefer generic stuff. True about the other Muppet movies with their merch, but with them a little more firmly with Diz now i thought it was Diz's style to go movie specific. I guess they are finding their feet with this, tho i'm surprised anyone thought this movie might not do well - the public were hugely positive from day one, its just the brand the public needs (i.e - an adult can get away with laughing at it as well as a child) when variety is coming back a bit to lift people out of these very dark times in the world.

I do agree you might see a bit more when it goes international - UK and europe are very big on having the merchandising there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only thing really movie specific is the Walter... maybe the use of the movie logo (unless that's their brand logo... which is confusing, since the actual in movie title uses the original Muppet Show font). I've only seen the movie logo used on some of the weird pajamas, the nail polish, and an off brand Snoogie. Unless they were to start making more Uncle Deadly stuff (yes! Please do!), and add a video game to that, I don't see anything that's just for that movie specifically. And of course, Walter's presence in future projects depends on the success of the movie and the direction future writers want to take those projects.

But then again, a lot of Muppet stuff can work any time any where. The shirts and boxers and stuff no doubt. I still don't see what the deal was not having a Kermit plush all along, but I guess they were truly waiting for the movie for all that stuff. Still wish the Pook dolls lasted a might longer.

beaker

Reaction score
I forgot that "Disney" doesn't always make their own merchandise. Like Mattel made most of the Toy Story 3 toys, which I thought were excellent.

Luke, you just made me think of something...the merchandise situation, where there was hardly any movie specific merchandise in retailers, makes me think of the film itself. Not to be all spoilerific with you since the movie isnt out there yet, but the main thrust of the film is how noone will give them a chance and or has forgotten them. I think retailers, when they see the kind of organic grassroots legs this thing is having with people by next year they'll be solidly on the Muppety train.

beaker

Reaction score
The only thing really movie specific is the Walter... maybe the use of the movie logo (unless that's their brand logo... which is confusing, since the actual in movie title uses the original Muppet Show font). I've only seen the movie logo used on some of the weird pajamas, the nail polish, and an off brand Snoogie. Unless they were to start making more Uncle Deadly stuff (yes! Please do!), and add a video game to that, I don't see anything that's just for that movie specifically. And of course, Walter's presence in future projects depends on the success of the movie and the direction future writers want to take those projects.

But then again, a lot of Muppet stuff can work any time any where. The shirts and boxers and stuff no doubt. I still don't see what the deal was not having a Kermit plush all along, but I guess they were truly waiting for the movie for all that stuff. Still wish the Pook dolls lasted a might longer.
That is odd how the film uses the original 70's logo, but all marketing uses the (sorry to say, but) insanely generic font which is far from Muppety.

Im just curious, why does Disney put the Muppet section way in the back and out of site? It almost seems like they're embarrassed or something. Lion King, Cars 2, Princess, Phineas and Ferb, etc was all up front at both stores I went to, whilst the Muppets tucked in the back and almost missable.