Apple fries

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, I'd see all these fast food, candy, and Hostess commercials and wonder why they're advertising this stuff when our parents keep telling us that kind of food is bad for us. Now today it seems like they've made kids' food commercials politically correct. Having happy meals that consists of chicken and fruit, no more Hostess cake commercials on TV, and people eating sandwiches and salads at Chuck E. Cheese's.

And yet, the obesity "epidemic" happened recently.... hmmmm....

It's the exact lack of junk food advertising that made children's television unprofitable, causing the steady and frustrating decline in kid's programming in recent years. I can respect the reasons for this, but I think it's hogwash.

When I was younger, we had HUNDREDS of these things on, all featuring cartoon characters hocking cereals and other odd products. BUT we also had different PSA's about health airing inbetween the commercials. Now even the licensing is crazy. All cartoon based cereals have to be whole wheat. That Indiana Jones cereal tasted more like wheat than chocolate. And Raisins aren't any less disgusting to me with Cars on it.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Maybe little kids want things more if they don't see it all the time.The more you keep things away from them the more they will seek them out in later life...

Like when I was little my ma never let me have anything with food coloring in it (18+ years of grape nuts and plain shredded wheat)-.-. Now most of the cereal I eat are the ones with marshmallows and frosting *lol*
I agree, the wheat chocolate taste is a little silly now :stick_out_tongue:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never trully understood how people can say "Because of Fast Food Commercials, children are overweight". No, I dont believe that. Being overweight myself I can say that in my case, I HARDLY eat fast food. I dont really like chips, I hate pie, I dont really like chocolate, and the only cerial I will eat is Chex cerial. And my friends will tell you, I barely eat as it is. I would much rather have fruit over candy anyday. But now I am getting off topic. Back to advertising...

Fast food places have the same rights to advertise their products as anyone else. But I do respect their attempts at being healthy (I love McDOnalds fruit and walnut salad when they had them, hehe). But its not that these places are forcing you to eat there, people do it at their own free will. Fast food is ok in moderation (key word there), but if you eat there every day then sure your going to gain weight.

This whole apple fries thing...I have my doubts about it. It is clever, but kids arent going to want to eat fries that are apples, they are going to want to eat fries that are fries

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fast food places have the same rights to advertise their products as anyone else. But I do respect their attempts at being healthy (I love McDOnalds fruit and walnut salad when they had them, hehe). But its not that these places are forcing you to eat there, people do it at their own free will. Fast food is ok in moderation (key word there), but if you eat there every day then sure your going to gain weight.
It isn't really the Fast Food companies. I've seen McD's advertised several times. And I have seen kelloggs hock their Pop Tarts. But it's the general idea of not likening junk food and cartoons that's the motivation. And while respectable, it's a movement lead by a bunch of annoying thin parents that don't know how to raise their kids, and think the government should do everything so they can lay back and drink martinis and dish on the moms that don't come to play group that day.

Plus, the limiting of junk food advertisements on kid's TV was basically just a bunch of Hanky Panky the FCC came up with so they could pass laws regarding letting single media outlets buy up as many stations as possible. but I won't go into that.

I miss the days of Turtle pies, breakfast cereals that were basically the same, with different marshmallow bits in it (Tiny Toons was just Mr. T cereal with O's and N's, and Spider-man's cereal was TMNT cereal with spider shapes), and those little plastic gum dispensers that were busts of the characters. Sure, the gum sucked. You toss it out, and just keep the bust.

I like the idea of putting them on veggies and fruits, but cartoons NEED to be on candy.

And yet, no one ever states how horrible it is when cartoon mucus and cartoon Yellow Toe Nail Fungus sell people medications they don't need.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
However.... their addition of Mac and Cheese is a stroke of pure brilliance! Mac and Cheese is the most kid friendly food out there. I could see kids dropping their burgers and chicken nuggets for Mac and Cheese. Not so much their fries for apple, but definately Mac and Cheese.
:hungry: What's even better is chicken nuggets with Mac and Cheese. Yum-yummy! :insatiable:

muppet baby

Reaction score
wow apple fries i am going to get a kids meal and try that just for the fun of it .
one thing that really think it is it is good that the fast food companys are trying to do something good with the apples and the milk and such , i hope that maybe for those who just don't care and want to eat " junk " cookie's and cake and bread and red meat .

Mc Donlands's is doing good for one thing by making there chicken mc nuggets to all "white meat and everyone once and a while i go and get some and i crave them .

When i was a kid and wanted a Happy Meal when they had the Muppet Babies toys i really did not like the way that they did the hamburgers , and i would just kind of pick at the nuggets and come to find out that later in the years they where Dark Meat with fillers and NOT EVEN ALL DARK MEAT . I mean come on every once in a while when i eat fried chicken i like to have a chicken leg and some other dark meat i like, and i will be honest though that white meat is my faverite .

One thing though that i did know as a kid and i asked my mom and dad about it and i waould say hey i really don't think this is real dark meat but i would eat, them pick with lots of sauce keke .
My point though is that i am glad that they are wising up all fast food and trying to do right in a while to help .
Thank God that Mc Donlands changed to white meat and admited what they did .
Oh yes i do agree also though with what some of u in the tread said though that it is FIRST AND FORMOST THE PARENTS JOB TO FRIST TEACH KIDS A GOOD EATING HABITS .

I hope that the world world will get better .
Also more kids geting better and playing outside and a even balace of tv and viedo games and activity inside like reading to .

:smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
When i was a kid and wanted a Happy Meal when they had the Muppet Babies toys i really did not like the way that they did the hamburgers , and i would just kind of pick at the nuggets and come to find out that later in the years they where Dark Meat with fillers and NOT EVEN ALL DARK MEAT
I will probably get ranted at for saying this but..I liked the old chicken nuggets better. Yes, rat lips, bad oil, and all. I devoured them when I was little :3.
The way I see it, even if it is white meat who knows what sort of chicken it is from, and it is deep fried or some such anyway, so it is just as bad in the long run...I don't go to fast food places for good food, I go home for salads and fruit and sandwichs..with fast food it is all about the taste I love and it being fast. It doesn't mean that's all I eat or that I am fat (I'm not) it's just about enjoyment and a taste I can count on..

muppet baby

Reaction score
I will probably get ranted at for saying this but..I liked the old chicken nuggets better. Yes, rat lips, bad oil, and all. I devoured them when I was little :3.
The way I see it, even if it is white meat who knows what sort of chicken it is from, and it is deep fried or some such anyway, so it is just as bad in the long run...I don't go to fast food places for good food, I go home for salads and fruit and sandwichs..with fast food it is all about the taste I love and it being fast. It doesn't mean that's all I eat or that I am fat (I'm not) it's just about enjoyment and a taste I can count on..
rat lips explan hahahahahaha can u tell me a little bit about that i had not heard that one i had heard about the fact that hamburgers where earth worms keke .

yes fast food is fast food and one of my faverite things in the world will always be Mc Donalds french fries i do eat at home a lot and also i do eat in resterants more than fast food but fast food does have it's good food yes .

yes i love veggie trays, and i do eat sailds dark lettece my fav .
i love fruit have always keep it in the house keke .

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I used to like Mcdonald's chicken nuggets and then at on point during the mid to lat 90' I didn't like them so much when they reintroduced them, but I really liked their dipping sauces! But it was arounf 2002 that I started really liking them again because they tasted so much better at the point. They were no longer these dark over cooked liking things that tasted gross, but they looked and tasted different, although they no long had my favorite diping sauce witch was the apple cinnamon.