1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

April Fools Feedback

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by D'Snowth, Mar 25, 2013.

?

When should a thread be labeled as an April Fools joke?

1. As soon as the first person acknowledges the joke

37.5%
  2. At the end of the day

62.5%

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I remember back in 2007 somebody posted that The Muppet Show: Season Two would NOT be released (or at least not in 2007), and then it ended up coming out that year.

2. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Think about it this way folks: If its FUNNY then do it.

The whole point of April Fools day is to get gullible people to believe something RIDICULOUS then to call them out on it, no to raise people's hopes.

Here's hoping for an epic April Fools day! (Remember Jim used to prank even the pranksters!)

Slackbot likes this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the thin line that has to be walked. Something believable that doesn't tick everyone off (though, again, the tell tale sign is looking at the calendar). If someone were to post "Fraggle Rock Crossover with My Little Pony and Spongebob," that's a situation where you say "Need I even bother clicking to know that's a joke?"

The best April Fools pranks are done by site owners screwing up their sites in funny ways. Cartoon discussion boards turning into live action program message boards... websites devoted to something absolutely ridiculous. Even the annoying screwing with someone's account bit is kind of clever. Posting obviously fake news stories is like that relative that you see every Christmas that makes the same annoying joke that was never funny the first time. It only elicits a "UGH! Every freaking year!"

Saying season 4&5 are happening is kind of a bad move. Though, at this point I'm sure it has as much believability as "Sesame Workshop releases DVD of every rare skit there ever was and this doesn't sound like an obvious joke" or "Incredibly obscure Muppet character who has never produced merchandise suddenly has one."

4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I used to do elaborate April Fool pranks. One year I unveiled a new design for my ReBoot website that had a lot of my pet peeves on it: vague section titles, annoying & irrelevant background music, bandwidth-wasting animated GIF, trailer cursor, and in general form over substance. Most people who knew me either guessed that it was a joke or asked me if I'd lost my mind, but a few people actually loved it. What?

My most epic gag involved four other ReBoot website managers. We figured out how to arrange it so that when a person went to one site they saw another. We had it arranges in a ring: site A would appear to be site B, site B would load site C, etc. All by renaming the index file and adding a frameset page! The confusion it caused was glorious.

My point being that I like April Fool gags that show creativity and humor, not just fake news and then a "Psyche!" And if I see another "I'm closing my site" notice on April 1 my eyes will fall out from being rolled too hard.

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It's amusing to think back on how so many people fell for my gag one year when I announced that I was no longer a fan of Kathy Greenwood... I must have been very convincing at first, because it seems like most everybody who looked at the thread fell for it at first.

Since then, however, I was never able to pull the wool over anybody's eyes again, which is why I, personally, don't pull very many April Fools pranks anymore.

I still wonder what it would have been like if MrsPepper and I actually went with my idea for one year to pretend like we really were an item like a few people were suspecting, but she didn't really feel entirely comfortable tricking everybody into thinking that, so we didn't do it.

6. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Now that April Fools is over, we're in the process of adding "April Fools:" to the title of these threads and moving them to the "Games" section. If you see any threads that we've missed, feel free to post the links here and we'll get them updated.

7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Phillip likes this.
  8. Drtooth

UGH! I don't want to be that guy, but I'm very disappointed no one liked my "I got the April Fools computer virus" bit.

9. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I liked it, I just had no idea how to respond to it, hahaha.

10. Drtooth

That's good. I'm just tired of the old "This amazing project... Oops! April Fools!" I wanted to give them something different.

That said, LOVE how Toughpigs basically became a parody of the Muppet Mindset. That was very clever.

11. minor muppetz

Phillip likes this.
  12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

That was a brilliant bit! I loved that they really got into the spirit and even had occasional-Fraggle-quotes, Turkish commentators and a ridiculous News Roundup!

13. minor muppetz

The Muppet Mindset also parodied Tough Pigs with a "My week with...." and "Beautiful toys contest" articles. I think that's the first time the Mindset did two articles in one day. And the title card was similar to Toughpigs, only it had Lindbergh, Mr. Poodlepants, and Angelo.

EDIT: I was just at The Muppet Mindset, and it seems the "My Week with Marylin" is no longer there. But it wasn't much, just an image of Miss Piggy dressed as Marylin Monroe.

14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I agree. A lot of the April Fool's joke's I did were labeled as "April Fool's" very soon afterwards so it did defeat the purpose. As for posts being misleading and thinking something they read is really going on, well they should check their calendars. Then if the news is still up on April second and not labeled as an April Fool's joke, then they'll know it's real. Again, just my opinion.

15. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Your fake spam post was the only thread to make me laugh. Most of them just made me groan XD

16. minor muppetz

I must say that most of the April fools threads were really creative and well thought out, and yet most of them seemed to only get a few replies at most (I think one got a good number of responses).

17. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I got the spam post, and it was just a little too bizarre to be real spam. It made me smile.

I don't suppose my April Fool gag really caught anyone, but then it was in the form of a fanfic. I guess I made it a bit too plausible. Ah well.

18. Drtooth

I was going more for Editorial for the new Muppet movie that got corrupted by a phoney internet virus... but yeah. Glad it was creative enough to stand out against the same bits.

I did consider getting a Ponygon from Konjiki no Gash Bell/Zatch Bell Avatar and put all my posts that day in the form of "Meru Meru Meeehhhh," but thought that was a few years too late anyway to be relevant. But then again, I did only discover the show last year...

19. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I must have missed something because I don't remember seeing that thread. :smirk:

20. Drtooth

On the subject... I love how TVshowsonDVD always puts a disclaimer saying that they refuse to have any April Fools gags when it comes to DVD show announcements....

...only to see the official list of the day contain 1 ongoing series, 2 cable shows no one watches, some obscure thing no one remembers, and a reality program. Yeah. No fooling??? Nope they're not. Season 5 of some Guy Feirie piece of crap from the Food Network on DVD! WOOO! :rolleyes: I almost want a fake announcement.