Armslength Videos OR Pattern

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about adding either the Video or the Puppet kit from Armslength to my puppet stuff collection to use as resources. Can anyone here give me any information on what they know about either item?

For example: Grey Seal (although VERY good) only showed one building sample on each video and only one of them was a covered puppet (Those are the ones I like best.) Armslength had a video photo on their site and it shows four puppets all different in shapes and character type.... Do you know if those are the four puppets that he actually builds on the Video?

Also, Does anyone know if the pattern is complete in the back? I'm not bashing Grey Seal here, but I gotta use them as an example again..... I don't like how the Foam Book Video teaches to leave that big gap at the back of the head. The foam on the back stops at the mouth plate and then the neck begins. I have come to hate how the large neck with excess material looks from the front. I can't seem to get a good pattern together that doesn't have this saggy neck problem.

Your helpful suggestions would be appreciated. :flirt:

-Michele

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Patterns...

Michelle,

Since no one else is answering, I'll give it my best shot. I have the video from David. It is very thorough and walks you through step by stpe on how to build one of the puppets. Now, there is only one video so in the video he covers just one example but it pretty much covers all the basics techniques except hair. That's the one thing I think he could have covered a little more.

Now if you actually want to build the four different puppets he shows you wil have to buy the 4 different patterns. I have talked to David before and asked after i bought the first kit if I could just buy the indiviudal patterns. He said he would sell those sperately but I would double check with him since they are no longer selling certain things like the manufactured puppets.

Hope that helps,

Fragglerockr

officermom

Reaction score
I have both the Armslength video and pattern (and a great puppet made from a complete kit).

David Pannabecker is a great teacher and the video is wonderful (lots of suggestions and hints).

The video covers basic puppet construction but you choose a particular pattern (i.e. one of the four examples) to create.

The end-result puppet is fantastic! It is covered with Antron ("Muppet") fleece and that entire process is discussed and demonstrated. It also has a complete head. There are plenty of tips and ideas for customizing the basic puppet pattern. It teaches/ends up with a nice grip for the mouthplate and the head can actually be removed from the body so its independent of the shoulders and is very Jim Henson Muppet-like.

I hope this helps you in your decision making.

--Melissa

P.S. There have been some recent changes at Armslength (including the fact that they are no longer taking orders their manufactured puppet line). With this in mind, you may want to make your decision soon to assure that they're still offering the videos and patterns (or complete kits) for sale when you're ready to purchase.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

Officermom, do you mean that when I place my order for a video, I can pick the example I want shown??

I like the kit idea though, so I'll probably buy the whole thing if I decide to fork out the cash for the pattern because it's much easier to have everything at hand when your learning something new..... I hate trying to fight with tracing the patterns and cutting them out while reading directions. I'd rather just Jump Right In! :excited:

officermom

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Officermom, do you mean that when I place my order for a video, I can pick the example I want shown??

Michelle--

Yes and no.

No, the video shows only one basic (I believe its Pattern A) example but its all about the techniques and tips and these are universal.

Yes, you CAN choose the puppet kit you work with: the light blue heavy jawed Pattern A or the pinkish egg-shaped face of Pattern B or the flesh-toned small-mouthed "baby" of Pattern C or the orangey "dude" that is Pattern D.

As I stated before, your creation does not HAVE to end up looking JUST like David Pannabecker's example. He gives plenty of ideas about how to handle features to customize YOUR puppets and hair is not inlcuded in any of the kits. Your puppet will have the same color and basic shape as the pictured example for each kit, though.

I purchased Puppet Kit C but my final product does not look like a baby. He has black maribou hair and a tear-drop shaped nose. He still looks young but he's more of a first grader than a toddler.

The video alone is $65.

The puppet kit (of your choice) alone is $175.

The video PLUS puppet kit (of your choice) is $225.

Here's the link.

Hope this helps!

--Melissa

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
How did you send your payment? I called to ask questions & pay via credit card before I even started this thread, but no one ever answers the phone and I've left two messages in the last three days. :confused:

I'd feel really uncomfortable sending a check or Money Order to the address provided when there doesn't appear to be anyone on the other end.

Helloooooo?! I want to BUY something! :excited:

BorkBork

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
How did you send your payment? I called to ask questions & pay via credit card before I even started this thread, but no one ever answers the phone and I've left two messages in the last three days. :confused:

I'd feel really uncomfortable sending a check or Money Order to the address provided when there doesn't appear to be anyone on the other end.

Helloooooo?! I want to BUY something! :excited:

David can be quite buzy at some times, but i have bought the video myself and it went well. I sent him my creditcard info and such, and it went well. No need to worry here :smile:

puppets_etc

Reaction score
Hey Michele.

I met him at the One Way Street I-Fest a couple of years ago, so it just may be that he's traveling around.

As a precaution, you could send the check to him certified return receipt, so you'll have the proof of delivery, but I don't think there will be a problem. Just a thought.

Deb :flirt:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Well, I purchased the video online with a credit card. I wanted the kit too, but I'll see what kind of service I get with the video purchase first before I go handing the "unknown" almost $200 bucks! :concern:

I did get an e-mail in regards to my purchase...... but it was automated, so I didn't feel special. :frown:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Well, it's been two weeks and they charged me $15 to ship one vhs tape..... still don't have any replies to my e-mails or phone calls. I hope the information on the tape is worth the wait! :smirk: