Armslength Videos OR Pattern

Jinx

Reaction score
Welcome, Trent!

Welcome, Trent, to the MC family. I'm pretty new here myself but everyone has really made me feel like family.

I'm probably going to buy the Arm's Length video as a treat for myself for the new year. From everything I've heard and read, I'm confident that the material is well worth it.

I've been a puppeteer for 31 years now, and have only recently decided to plunge into "serious" puppet building. To that end, I found the Grey Seal "The Foam Book" and accompanying videos. I have found them both to be quite valuable resources. In fact, my little icon that you see here is the first puppet that I built from their techniques.

From what I understand, the Arms Length techniques are more advanced, so it might be better to get aquainted with materials and procedures with a slightly easier project. To be honest, when I built this guy (who, alas, still has no name) I did so with the notion that he would be only an experiment, and probably not yield a usable, performable puppet. To my surprise and delight, he has proved to be quite popular with everyone who as seen him.

Best of luck in whatever path you choose!

CPeterson

Reaction score
Armslength puppet kit

We're in the process of completing our first Armslength puppet. David does a terrific job of putting together the kit. It comes with all of the precut foam and fabric pieces as well as all of the other parts you'll need, except for hair, nose and ear pieces. A set of printed/labeled patterns are included as well as step-by-step instructions with black and white photos. If you sew or craft at all, I don't think you'll have any problems putting this kit together. I have encountered a little confusion with putting together the detailed hand/thumb grip, but I'm going to email David for more details. It took some time to get our kit (about 2-1/2 months) because he had been out of the country and was trying to complete his doctorate. But I think the quality of the kit and design of the puppet was worth the wait. We have made several puppets from the VIP video, but the design is not as easy to manipulate as I hope this style will be. And the quality of the video was extremely disappointing - very amateur! Hope this helps. Cindy

trooper_trent

Reaction score
CPeterson said:
all of the other parts you'll need, except for hair, nose and ear pieces.
Really? are there instructions on how to make the ears and nose? what about the eylids? These are some of the most important parts! Also did it come with the neck sleeve? I just dont want to have paid 250 dollars and not be able to complete it.

CPeterson said:
but the design is not as easy to manipulate as I hope this style will be. And the quality of the video was extremely disappointing - very amateur!
Is this a different video you are referring to? I purchased the kit along with the custom puppets video offered on Davids site.

Does anyone have an email address for Arms Length? I ordered mine online and received an automated email receipt but I cannot get a response from the return address nor from the phone number listed on the site.
Thanks for the info
Trent

DPuppets

Reaction score
I have to voice a little about David's video. Understand that the video is to help you put the puppet patteren together. You will have to carve the nose out of foam and put hair on. The video does not tell you how to build patterens or anything like that. I hear all the pro's and con's of the video but understand....there is NO ONE ElSE out there who has brought a great quilty patteren on the market. Most builders that come from higher end companies are very shy in telling how they do things. You will get answers but...seems that most of the time not the answer you were looking for. Atleast the video and patterens are a start if you are looking to build a higher end puppet. You still have to have some creative skills to give it your own look. Sorry don't want to be harsh towards anyone but...just know when I started no one and not even builders from the muppets would give very little to no help. And I know I am not the only one that feels this way. I am just glad that someone stepped up like David and Grey Seals to give us help in taking our building into the next level.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I completely agree....David's (and Grey Seal's) products are not 100% perfect, but they are certainly the best out there. They are not meant to be a "magic bullet", just a jumping off point to get you started.

I think many people who have started building in the past 5 - 6 years may not realize how difficult it was to find good information on building foam puppets until the Internet came along (it a popular form, anyway) in `94-`95. I hadn't even heard of The Foam Book until I was in College and found it for sale on the web.

trooper_trent

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your tips and input. My payment cleared the bank yesterday so I know that the process is moving. i paid for airmail so hopefully I should get it soon.
Does anyone know what kind of tools I need besides a sewing machine?
For instance sculpting the nose/ears, what does David reccommend usiing for this?
Trent

DPuppets

Reaction score
trooper_trent said:
Thanks guys for all your tips and input. My payment cleared the bank yesterday so I know that the process is moving. i paid for airmail so hopefully I should get it soon.
Does anyone know what kind of tools I need besides a sewing machine?
For instance sculpting the nose/ears, what does David reccommend usiing for this?
Trent
Trent,
David uses a belt sander to make noses. But also he used just little razor or scissors. The ears he will show you if I am not mistaking. I know now that on his puppet line that he did sale he uses a vacuam form machine. I think he will give you some tips on the video to make noses. I have not seen the video in a long while...but you will get the idea when you see it.

HandySam

Reaction score
Jinx said:
Welcome, Trent, to the MC family. I'm pretty new here myself but everyone has really made me feel like family.

I'm probably going to buy the Arm's Length video as a treat for myself for the new year. From everything I've heard and read, I'm confident that the material is well worth it.

I've been a puppeteer for 31 years now, and have only recently decided to plunge into "serious" puppet building. To that end, I found the Grey Seal "The Foam Book" and accompanying videos. I have found them both to be quite valuable resources. In fact, my little icon that you see here is the first puppet that I built from their techniques.

From what I understand, the Arms Length techniques are more advanced, so it might be better to get aquainted with materials and procedures with a slightly easier project. To be honest, when I built this guy (who, alas, still has no name) I did so with the notion that he would be only an experiment, and probably not yield a usable, performable puppet. To my surprise and delight, he has proved to be quite popular with everyone who as seen him.

Best of luck in whatever path you choose!
well did you get the Arms Length video yet?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Its been a while since I've been on MC, but after seeing some of the comments about Davids video I just had to take a moment to respond to a few things said about the quality of the kit which includes the video and materials to build.

I originally purchased the video due to lack of correspendence when I asked questions and I didn't want to take a chance with the entire cost of the kit until I was sure that I would actually get the product. I paid for the cheapest shipping (which wasn't all that cheap) and received the video in about 6 weeks.

I am not impressed with the customer service aspect of the company, however, let me explain...... I am thrilled with the quality of the video AND the kit that I ordered later. I did pay a little extra for airmail on the kit, but it still took about 4 weeks to receive.

Overall, $275 is about what I paid (including shipping) for everything. There are always going to be things about one man companies that arn't perfect. We have to realize that this is one guy running the show here. That automated response if probably from a third party system that handles his payments. After thought about it, I wondered how long it took that company to process my order and notify David. In addition to that, I've heard that David has a family and a very full life where he not only is trying to complete his education, but is also very active at his church. (I think I heard that he is the pastor/preacher) To me, thats a very busy life to juggle in addition to a small business.

To some people, $275 sounds like a lot..... beleive me, I know! I have three kids! But every penny was worth the education that I received in trade. When I first received the kit, I thought the black and white photo copys of the instructions could have been better. I also read up there that someone thought the video was "amateur". Is this what you actually thought of the video quality or the information?

I no longer complain about the condition of my instruction booklet and I happen to think my videos are priceless. Yes, this is a video that was shot on low budget in a work room somewhere. And my copies are not the clearest duplicated black and whites that I have ever seen...... but they did not hinder my ability to learn, which was the ultimate goal, right?

Budget videos and kits help keep the cost down so that we, the customers, and students can afford to receive the information. We are not paying for Speilberg quality movies here, we are paying for the David's experience and techniques as a professional puppet builder. This information is very hard to come by..... I can tell you this from expereince because I have probably bought everything out there related to puppet building.

I believe that puppet building is an art, and like all other art, requires imagination and creativity. I agree with DPuppets and BuckBeaver, anything that you purchase in relation to this type of work should only be used to increase your knowledge of different techniques. Ulitmately, what we do with that information is up to us. What I sugest is, build your Armslength puppet from the kit and then fool around with the pattern pieces by drawing your own shapes to construct and see what you get. Pretty soon, you will develope your own professional puppet style with your new found knowledge. I know I'm still discovering something new all the time! :excited:

Well, I've preached enough. :wink: I'm going to crawl back to where I came from now! *giggle*

-Michele

trooper_trent

Reaction score
I totally agree with everything you've said.
No I havent received my video and kit yet, but Good news, I finally got a hold of David. I ended up searching online and found his home number and correct email address. He was stil in FLorida finishing his DR. His wife relayed the message that I left to him and He called me personally to tell me what was going on. He is a very sweet man. He said my order is almost ready to ship. (it takes a while because he prepares each one by hand only after they are ordered) He will be back monday and my order will ship out the first half of next weekd 2 day airmail.
I will make sure to post pics of my kit and the construction process.
I can't wait.
Trent