Armslength Videos OR Pattern

Phantom

Reaction score
Hey,
Long time looker, first time poster...Actually, the Pannabecker video is a two part instructional video. I think you will enjoy it and the cost will quickly be lost into the recesses of your mind. He does some intresting things. It is amazing to actually see a professional puppet builder at work. I saw him employ techniques I use and demonstrate new ideas I had not considered, but, like the foam book, don't expect details that should come from imagination, such as patterns, on the video.

I started with the foam book then developed my own ideas to help build seven puppets since May and now I am building a puppet using some of the techniques on the Arms Length video. The wonderful thing is that any and all information gleaned from books, videos or forums, such as this one, sparks your creativity. I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

Ben

PS. Take heart, it took forever to get a reply from my e-mail and repeated phone calls. He's slow, but seems dependable.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
I called to ask questions & pay via credit card before I even started this thread, but no one ever answers the phone and I've left two messages in the last three days. :confused:

I'd feel really uncomfortable sending a check or Money Order to the address provided when there doesn't appear to be anyone on the other end.

Helloooooo?! I want to BUY something! :excited:
This is unfortunately a common problem with small puppetry companies on the net. They don't have the budget for a dedicated customer service problem so when they are away, busy or performing there is no one to answer the phone. I know I used to drive a few clients nuts because of this problem myself.

David has an exceptional reputation in the puppetry community, so I don't think there is much to be worried about. At the same time you want to have the order filled promptly, so try emailing David through his Web site and wait for a response.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Something I've wondered about these two videos (I haven't seen either yet) is what do those people who have them think is missing? What could be improved upon? What do you think the videos didn't cover, or could have covered in more detail?

Oh and welcome to the community Phantom! Hopefully you won't be too much of a "phantom" any more and post often! :stick_out_tongue: :zany:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Thanks guys for posting and educating me on the reputation of David and his company.

Maybe he is busy and I have nothing to worry about. It would have been nice if they would at least put a small note in their automated e-mail that goes out which says that he is out of town... etc. so that the delay can be expected.

I sent a couple e-mails before my purchase over two weeks ago with questions that I had for the larger purchase I wanted to make. I didn't recieve an answer, so I only purchased the video.

My order was placed two weeks ago Thursday and I sent an e-mail on Wednesday asking about the status of my order...... no reply as of yet. I just called the number provided, and the mail box is full so I no longer have the option of leaving a message. *big sigh*

I guess this is one of those moments where you leave it alone and find some scraps to make a puppet. :smirk:

So.... off I go to work on my entry for Bucks contest. Maybe my goods will arrive before the deadline date and I can use my newly found knowledge to beat everyones pants off. *giggle* Nice dream, but participating will be fun anyway. :excited:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Something I've wondered about these two videos (I haven't seen either yet) is what do those people who have them think is missing? What could be improved upon? What do you think the videos didn't cover, or could have covered in more detail?

Buck we must have been typing at the same time! I did post my comments on the foam book when I started this thread. Although I did find some things lacking in the Foam Book Videos, it is still a very good resource that I would recommend to any person interested in building quality puppets.

I could let you know what I think of Davids once I receive it. Since I didn't get my questions answered, I'm hoping that it covers at least some of the issues and questions that I had after viewing the foam book.

Phantom

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, Buck. I, as most people, find that you are a wealth of information.

I didn't feel that anything was missing from the Arms Length videos that imagination shouldn't remedy. The video covers head and body construction, which is sort of the blank canvas when creating a character. The character becomes who he or she is going to be during the eye, nose, hair, and etc. construction. This is where creativity takes over. I see it as you start with an "egg with a mouth" standard- then you provide the options. Mr. Pannabecker describes the options and provides some "how-to", but no hard, fast guidelines.

Mr. Pannabecker begins by sewing the fleece for the body and head, which I thought was an interesting first step. Each section was two pieces of fleece with darts, no biggie. (He does provide good tips on sewing.) When he starts body and head construction with foam, the body is four pieces and the head is six. I was blown away at first and I am currently engineering my own six-piece pattern, at least, following my own logical progression. I am excited about the challenge. David has the convenience of starting with an established pattern and the video is designed to demonstrate construction techniques. I was happy to see how he was building such cool characters. I am still developing my "style", if you will, and the video was a spark plug to the old noodle.

Ben

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I finally received my videos a couple days after my return from vacation earlier this month. I was extremely happy with the instruction and knowledge that David had to offer on these videos..... so much so that I went ahead and ordered the Puppet Kit with 2nd day air delivery. (Ground took waaaaaaaay to long)

Hey MK, I just couldn't wait.... wanted to have it when I was ready to start back on my puppets once I get settled in from moving. *grin*

mkelley

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
I finally received my videos a couple days after my return from vacation earlier this month. I was extremely happy with the instruction and knowledge that David had to offer on these videos..... so much so that I went ahead and ordered the Puppet Kit with 2nd day air delivery. (Ground took waaaaaaaay to long)

Hey MK, I just couldn't wait.... wanted to have it when I was ready to start back on my puppets once I get settled in from moving. *grin*
That's okay -- I totally understand how that feeling goes <g>.

But do make sure you email me when you get settled in.

trooper_trent

Reaction score
Hey there! new member and first time poster here. I have been involved with puppetry for years now but have never built my own and have recently began researching methods for constructing my own personal puppets. I stumbled across this wonderful forum and have had many of my questions answered before even asking them. Great stuff!
My question is about the Arms Length Productions training video and puppet kit. To anyone who has purchased the video/completed a kit, is this a good way to begin? I am 25 and am very creative and artistic. I feel that I could do a good job building a nice looking first puppet by using David's methods. I guess I am mostly wondering about difficulty of construction for a first time builder.
I also want to know what all is included in the kit ( I know that hair and clothes are not included) but is everything else included to make a high quality head and body with facial features?
Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Nice to meet all of you and thanks for your responses.
Trent

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Trent! I haven't used the video/kit myself but I've heard nothing but good things about it. It certainly isn't perfect (it won't teach you everything you'll ever need to know) but it is a very good place to start.