Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone ever notice how passive aggressive Fern is? I mean, how she nastily acts behind people who have insulted her's back? That episode where Francine heckles her for liking Ratburn's puppet show, and Fern draws nasty cartoons about her?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyone ever notice how passive aggressive Fern is? I mean, how she nastily acts behind people who have insulted her's back? That episode where Francine heckles her for liking Ratburn's puppet show, and Fern draws nasty cartoons about her?
Yeah, it kind of took me a while to notice that... like that other episode where Sue Ellen and her try to switch personalities because of the results they got from taking a magazine quiz (the one Ratburn also took and it said he didn't give out enough homework)? Sue Ellen seemed to have trouble toning down her "I'm good at everything I do" persona, but Fern seemed like she was dying to start bossing other people around.

But that episode you mentioned, I could play both sides of the fence on that one... Francine has always been rather insulting towards other kids, so in some small way, Francine had it coming to her, and kind of got a taste of her own medicine... however, it turned out to be an overdose, since the others really got carried away, which was rather uncalled for.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember how Fern got mad every time Brain ruins her stories by saying how they weren't logical like goats don't fly and gorillas don't talk. So Fern gets back at Brain by setting up pranks making him believe that giant alien worms are invading the town.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I also remember how Fern got mad every time Brain ruins her stories by saying how they weren't logical like goats don't fly and gorillas don't talk. So Fern gets back at Brain by setting up pranks making him believe that giant alien worms are invading the town.
I... never saw or heard of that one...

But I DO remember Brain not wanting to include Buster's alien invasion in his script for the Elwood City centinneal musical... or Brain not wanting Sue Ellen to contribute to their partner science project.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah yes. The Giant Worms episode...

Lemme see... what else is there...

There was that Rat and Rat Jr. drawing from the episode where Ratburn had to move in with Arthur for a week.... I had a whole list of instances but now I forgot them. But she's really got a passive aggressive nasty streak.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Fern is my favourite character - oh dear, maybe I suffer from a streak.
I love her outfit though.

Xerus

Reaction score
I like the episode where Fern wrote to this famous author who was a parody of Lemony Snicket asking for advice on writing stories.

Fern wrote some books under a false name and wanted to see what her friends thought of the stories. When she found out they were terrible, Fern started to make some improvements on her stories to make them better and was glad she didn't use her own name at first.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I like the episode where Fern wrote to this famous author who was a parody of Lemony Snicket asking for advice on writing stories.

Fern wrote some books under a false name and wanted to see what her friends thought of the stories. When she found out they were terrible, Fern started to make some improvements on her stories to make them better and was glad she didn't use her own name at first.
Yes I do quite enjoy that episode too. I find the Lemony Snicket parody hilarious.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like Fern as well, but the more I think about it, the more I see her a rather oppressed character... not so much in a literal sense, but rather like when she has the opportunity, not only is there a passive aggressive streak that surfaces like Drtooth mention, but there also seems to be a bit of an over-confident, and somewhat egotistical streak that can shine through as well, and it's like when those streaks shine through, it takes a while for her to be snapped back to reality.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I haven't posted on MC in like two months, but I've been thinking about cartoons all day and I think it's hgh time I dragged this thread back out of the water. I may as well start off the conversation then with the topic of continuity - what do you guys think of the long running continuity that has been established within the show, and what do you find it adds to the show on the whole?