1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 15, 2009.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm still sick of the current cycle they have of always playing the really bad episodes almost non-stop, then rarely playing any of the good decent episodes.

We get Seasons Six and and Nine through current like four or five weeks on in, and maybe only a week's worth of episodes from Season One through Four or Seven and Eight at the most. Maybe two weeks, if we're lucky.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

PBS does that with ALL their shows. Trying to rerun a certain group of episodes ad nasuem to try and stretch the show's number of episodes. Often times I'll see the same 5 episodes of Martha Speaks week after week... same with Word Girl... and it's almost like they only have 5 episodes of that Cat in the Hat thing.

Now, they could go the sitcom rerun route and just air all 100+ episodes in order over the span of a year, where you're guaranteed to see each one at least 3 times in the span of a year... but they choose not to because they want to hide those so they look like "rarely seen" or even "new" episodes toy younger kids. They do this with everything, and it's the reason why we have to wait a whole year to see episodes of Arthur Australia already saw. Same reason why it takes almost 4 or 5 months to see 26 episodes of Sesame Street.
  3. D'Snowth

I'm now not only sick of the current cycle of their episodes, but now I'm to the point where I want to head down to the top PBS headquarters, wherever it is, and beg them to at least start playing the episodes in order or something.
  4. Drtooth

They do this, for the hundreth time, for EVERYTHING! They either run all the new episodes for 3 weeks straight, or if you miss them you have to wait 2 months for them to start running the heck out of them. There are episodes of stuff I haven't seen in months, and episodes I saw the last week.

They're VERY stingy with their episodes. Trying to get a week's worth of material to last months.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I remember my Mother reading me the book Arthur's Eyes, long before there was a TV show, lol. (Personally I liked him better in the books, but that's just me. ;) ).
  6. D'Snowth

Another something that's crossed my mind recently is this:

Is it me, or does it seem like the celebrity cameos are forced anymore? Seems like we HAVE to have a celebrity cameo at least once a season.

Though, slightly off-topic, but I didn't realize until recently that Philip Seymour Hoffman was not only a pwnsome actor, but was also a successful stage director as well.
  7. Drtooth

Yeah... that's not happening with Sesame Street now... focusing on the fact that there are celebrities and not the actual cast...

But yeah, seems we have to have one a season now... half the time they play parody versions of themselves for some reason.
  8. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Yeah, it is getting that way. I have enjoyed Lance Armstrong's appearances, and the Phillip Seymour Hoffman episode is one of my personal favourites.
  9. D'Snowth

Now that PBS is playing Season One episodes again, finally, I haven't realized until now that Buster, Francine, and Binky actually all sound OLDER in the early episodes than they do now.
  10. Drtooth

And Buster's skin tone is darker than his tongue!

The only major improvement I think the show went over the later the series went on? Losing those freaky light pink tongues! They never looked right.
  11. D'Snowth

I think those light pink/bordering on white tongues were only in a few episodes throughout the first season.
  12. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Yeah, plus I'd heard that they were an animation error.
  13. D'Snowth

After rewatching the episode "Popular Girls" on YouTube, I have to ask...

Drtooth, have you ever thought about doing a YTP based on Arthur's somewhat robotic "I. Am. Fright-ened. By Her. Ex-cel-lence"?
  14. Drtooth

Nah... I'm trying to cut down. Besides, I never know what I'm going to do one on until I find something stupid enough to make me laugh. I had a couple ideas, but I'm trying to swear off Arthur and do something new... but I wind up getting a tenth of a way into a project, decide I can't do anything with it, and do something else.

As it stands I got 4 ones I'm never going to finish because I don't know what to do with them.
  15. D'Snowth

Gee whiz, this was the shortest period of good episodes yet... we didn't even get a week of good episodes this time.

Time to break out my tapes and go to YouTube again.
  16. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Snowth, I don't encourage this or anything but all of seasons 1-13 are up on The Pirate Bay as 2 torrents. The quality is superior to youtube, most of the ones cut up then put on youtube were downloaded as a torrent first. That said, the size of these downloads is absolutely ridiculous.
  17. Drtooth

Yeah... how many of those first season episodes did they have? 2? Usually I detest seeing 1st season episodes since... let's face it, when it first came on I watched EVERY single time an episode aired. Multiple viewings of an episode in a day... so I saw them all a hundred times before they even hit the rerun stage. But many of them I haven't seen in years.
  18. D'Snowth

Ah, "Arthur Goes the Camp; Buster Makes the Grade"... this was actually the very first episode of Arthur I ever saw back in 1998.

I know the show began in 1996, but my PBS didn't actually start airing it regularly until 2000 or so, so I only saw it on VERY rare occasions (that first occasion, then a couple of others in 1998 for "Binky Barnes, Art Expert; Arthur's Lucky Pencil" and "Sue Ellen's Lost Diary; Arthur's Knee").

But I've noticed two things interesting about this episode, considering it's part of the series' timeline: already, there's an unusual fascet of Brain's character (aside from being hydrophobic, and being held back in kindergarten) in that he's a comic book nerd. And despite trying to pull a prank on Prunella, Binky isn't much of a bully in this episode, and this was before he became one of the guys and wasn't such a bully.
  19. Drtooth

In the actual book the episode is based off of (and believe me, I had it, and I read it all the time, so I almost know it by heart)... this is when they actually met Brain... and he brought comics with him on the trip... that's sort of how they became friends, I believe. Plus he was MUUUUUCH bigger... fatter and taller. Plus, unlike the cartoon, I believe the boys and girls had separate camp councilors... the girls got a nice one, the boys got a very strict one. I'd say the cartoon actually used the character much, much later as the coach of the other soccer team in "The A Team."
  20. D'Snowth

That's true y'know, the episodes that were adapted from the books were never exactly completely accurate to the books.

It's been years, but IIRC, in the book "Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn", it's Binky, and a group of others (who are supposedly entering Grade 4) who are sharing all of those scary stories about Mr. Ratburn being a vampire, and sending you to Death Row, rather than Prunella, like in the cartoon.