Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And Buster's skin tone is darker than his tongue!

The only major improvement I think the show went over the later the series went on? Losing those freaky light pink tongues! They never looked right.
I think those light pink/bordering on white tongues were only in a few episodes throughout the first season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After rewatching the episode "Popular Girls" on YouTube, I have to ask...

Drtooth, have you ever thought about doing a YTP based on Arthur's somewhat robotic "I. Am. Fright-ened. By Her. Ex-cel-lence"?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nah... I'm trying to cut down. Besides, I never know what I'm going to do one on until I find something stupid enough to make me laugh. I had a couple ideas, but I'm trying to swear off Arthur and do something new... but I wind up getting a tenth of a way into a project, decide I can't do anything with it, and do something else.

As it stands I got 4 ones I'm never going to finish because I don't know what to do with them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gee whiz, this was the shortest period of good episodes yet... we didn't even get a week of good episodes this time.

Time to break out my tapes and go to YouTube again.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Snowth, I don't encourage this or anything but all of seasons 1-13 are up on The Pirate Bay as 2 torrents. The quality is superior to youtube, most of the ones cut up then put on youtube were downloaded as a torrent first. That said, the size of these downloads is absolutely ridiculous.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gee whiz, this was the shortest period of good episodes yet... we didn't even get a week of good episodes this time.

Time to break out my tapes and go to YouTube again.

Yeah... how many of those first season episodes did they have? 2? Usually I detest seeing 1st season episodes since... let's face it, when it first came on I watched EVERY single time an episode aired. Multiple viewings of an episode in a day... so I saw them all a hundred times before they even hit the rerun stage. But many of them I haven't seen in years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah, "Arthur Goes the Camp; Buster Makes the Grade"... this was actually the very first episode of Arthur I ever saw back in 1998.

I know the show began in 1996, but my PBS didn't actually start airing it regularly until 2000 or so, so I only saw it on VERY rare occasions (that first occasion, then a couple of others in 1998 for "Binky Barnes, Art Expert; Arthur's Lucky Pencil" and "Sue Ellen's Lost Diary; Arthur's Knee").

But I've noticed two things interesting about this episode, considering it's part of the series' timeline: already, there's an unusual fascet of Brain's character (aside from being hydrophobic, and being held back in kindergarten) in that he's a comic book nerd. And despite trying to pull a prank on Prunella, Binky isn't much of a bully in this episode, and this was before he became one of the guys and wasn't such a bully.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But I've noticed two things interesting about this episode, considering it's part of the series' timeline: already, there's an unusual fascet of Brain's character (aside from being hydrophobic, and being held back in kindergarten) in that he's a comic book nerd. And despite trying to pull a prank on Prunella, Binky isn't much of a bully in this episode, and this was before he became one of the guys and wasn't such a bully.
In the actual book the episode is based off of (and believe me, I had it, and I read it all the time, so I almost know it by heart)... this is when they actually met Brain... and he brought comics with him on the trip... that's sort of how they became friends, I believe. Plus he was MUUUUUCH bigger... fatter and taller. Plus, unlike the cartoon, I believe the boys and girls had separate camp councilors... the girls got a nice one, the boys got a very strict one. I'd say the cartoon actually used the character much, much later as the coach of the other soccer team in "The A Team."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's true y'know, the episodes that were adapted from the books were never exactly completely accurate to the books.

It's been years, but IIRC, in the book "Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn", it's Binky, and a group of others (who are supposedly entering Grade 4) who are sharing all of those scary stories about Mr. Ratburn being a vampire, and sending you to Death Row, rather than Prunella, like in the cartoon.