Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember finding the Arthur book where D.W. refuses to eat spinach at a restaurant. It was just like that episode I remember seeing which got me started watching Arthur.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember finding the Arthur book where D.W. refuses to eat spinach at a restaurant. It was just like that episode I remember seeing which got me started watching Arthur.
I kinda remember it differently... I seem to recall the episode ending with D.W. being all, "What? Everyone knows I love spinach!", with Arthur being all oh brother-like, but I remember the book ending with D.W. grimmacing when she realizes she's eating spinach, with Arthur having sort of nyah-nyah look on his face.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not quite. I think I either read or had the book... I can't remember if it had the same subplot about going to Grandma's birthday party, but I do know the fairy tale theme wasn't present in the restaurant outside of the kid's menu. But the most prominent change is that D.W. isn't exactly happy at the end of the book when she discovers that she ate spinach. Similar to how the book version of Arthur's Chicken Pox, she wasn't happy to have caught it at the end.

Now, for Teacher Trouble... when they adapted that into an episode, they actually split the story up into 2 parts to make 2 different episodes.... now, the book combines the fact that they get in the rat's class and the spelling bee at the end (this book, actually, I got this one autographed by Marc Brown YEARS before it became popular outside the book series). With the TV show, they added the segment about Buster and Arthur stalking him to find out if he really was evil, and prolonged the spelling be preparations both to fill out episodes.

I'd dare say the only episode that was really close to the book was Arthur's eyes... the only major change being the picture day segment was removed and made its own episode (and appears to take place later in time) and the fact the story was told in flashback form... I think the bit about Bionic Bunny's actor wearing glasses was also added, but I know the teacher had a similar pair. Arthur's Tooth was also kinda close.

Xerus

Reaction score
I kinda remember it differently... I seem to recall the episode ending with D.W. being all, "What? Everyone knows I love spinach!", with Arthur being all oh brother-like, but I remember the book ending with D.W. grimmacing when she realizes she's eating spinach, with Arthur having sort of nyah-nyah look on his face.
Oh yeah. I do remember the ending of that book being shorter than the episode for some reason. Also, I loved that fairy tale themed restaurant where they ate Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum Twin Lobsters, Wicked Witch of the West Weenies. And Little Bo Peep's Pot Pie. I can just imagine what the rest of the menu is like.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another major difference I seem to remember is "Arthur's Tooth": I remember in the book, different characters tried to show Arthur different tricks to make it look like he's lost a tooth (like covering a teeth with raisins and such), but they didn't have such a sequence on the episode.

Also, didn't the book version of "Arthur's First Sleepover" end with D.W. being humiliated at her "discovery" of the fake alien being in the paper?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another major difference I seem to remember is "Arthur's Tooth": I remember in the book, different characters tried to show Arthur different tricks to make it look like he's lost a tooth (like covering a teeth with raisins and such), but they didn't have such a sequence on the episode.
And Binky actually WANTED to punch Arthur's Tooth in. Only other major difference I can think of at the top of my head was the fact they put in a Power Rangers parody.

Also, didn't the book version of "Arthur's First Sleepover" end with D.W. being humiliated at her "discovery" of the fake alien being in the paper?
I think I flipped through it, and the story ended before she joins the sleepover. That I know. I remember most of the Arthur books I read almost 20 years ago and took out of the school library so unless I directly had them, I can't remember much of them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Remember when the Tibbles were human in the books? :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep... Mrs. Tibble WAS human, and she was introduced in "Arthur's Halloween" basically using the old "The old loney woman in the huge mansion is not a witch no matter how much she looks like one" bit (that was stolen from Fat Albert... wonder if that stole it from anywhere else) so naturally, they had to make the Tibble Twins human too, even though it's completely confusing in terms of how the book series anthro'd the characters... that is, after Arthur's nose, when they were less humanlike.